Nowhere Near Respectable (The Lost Lords) by…

Nowhere Near Respectable (The Lost Lords)

by Mary Jo Putney

Series: The Lost Lords (3)

This series is fun because not only does it deal with issues that used to be ignored in Regency romances, but Putney constantly reevaluates the concepts of honor and respectability. Women make their own choices sexually, birth control is a given, and everyone continues to play the game of "keeping up appearances" until caught. I wish the OTP would have been more honest -- why is it SO HARD to tell someone you love them, damn the consequences? Quit being all self-sacrificing for once! But the intrigue and spy work was fascinating. Definitely a good set up for the next novel.

I also love the way Putney explores characters that have dual natures -- disreputable/respectable, Hindu/English, adventuresome/family-oriented. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
Liked this entry into the Lost Lords series but I think know I have gotten oversensitive to the over modern heroine in my Regencies. Kiri was very likable but just not very believable. She was also a bit of a Mary Sue. Nevertheless the plot was good and the characters interesting. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jan 16, 2018 |
meh. However, someone does get to say "My God, you bastard!!" which was enjoyable. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
Out of the frying pan into the fire, that’s where Lady Kiri finds herself when the dashingly devilish rogue Damian Mackenzie saves her from a band of smugglers. But who’s the real rogue? It looks like Lady Kiri may have to convince Damian that she handle anything he can get her into. Can she convince him that his secrets are not to much for her while also convincing him she doesn’t want to be just a lady?

Nowhere Near Respectable by Mary Jo Putney takes you back to when women were to be quiet and demure Ladies and shows you don’t have to be a mouse to be respectable. I received this book from First Reads and would recommend it to any who are looking for a good romance with a hint of spice. ( )
  starlitehouse | Jul 16, 2011 |
This is my first Mary Jo Putney novel as well and I will definitely be reading more. I don't know what hasn't been said about this book. I too loved Lady Kiri and the way you were pulled right into her world. It was a great read and very easy to follow. I will recommend this book to any of my friends... ( )
  Hillgirl | Jul 14, 2011 |

Mary Jo Putneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hajnal, Gabriellasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Memory of two splendid and much-loved curmudgeons:

Kate Duffy, truly justifying the title of the
"Julia child of Romance".
And my editor, though not for anywhere near long enough.

And to"
Larry Krause, publisher, author, idealist, and
mineral maven, and one of those rare folk,
who always live by their principles.
London, early November 1812

The death notice in the London newspaper was small but it attracted considerable attention.

He's a bastard and a gambler and society's favourite reprobate. But to Lady Kiri Lawford he's a hero-- braver than the smugglers whom he rescues her from, more honorable than any lord she's ever met, and far more attractive than any man has a right to be. How can she not fall in love? But Damian Mackenzie has secrets that leave no room in his life for courting high-born young ladies-- especially not the sister of one of his oldest friends. Yet when Kiri's quick thinking reveals a deadly threat to England's crown, Damian learns that she is nowhere near as prim and respectable as he first assumed, and the lady is far more alluring than any man can resist.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mary Jo Putney's book Nowhere Near Respectable was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,316,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible