Happy Birthday by Danielle Steel

Happy Birthday

by Danielle Steel

222None52,034 (3.67)3

Happy Birthday by Danielle Steel
Valerie is now 60 and the radio announcer has told the whole world of this. She does
look 40 though with all the botox she's had done. She has her own TV talk show.
Her daughter, April has her own restaurant and hopes to open another one in the near
future, also in NY. She's just found out on her birthday, that she shares with
her mom that she is expecting and she has no boyfriend. It was just a one night stand.
Jack is an ex football star/sports announcer and his back goes out a lot due to
over exerting himself and is celebrating his birthday also.
He's noticed blood around Valerie's lips and told her so when they met in the elevator.
Terrorists bombarded and the building is overtaken with many hostages.
They now find themselves spending more time with others as they realize every minute counts.
Fires, birth, trips across the ocean, and a wedding are all in the works. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
What a timely book I started reading on my birthday earlier in the month.

Amazing how we all seem to take stock on our birthdays every year to see where we’ve been and where we would like to go. Valerie Wyatt at age 60 (horrified that it got out) is a successful Entertainment guru. She goes for her birthday card reading and is told: there will be a man and a child. She doesn’t believe either one.

April on the other hand is turning 30 with a successful restaurant. As she goes to her massage therapist she checks her out and suggests she check to see if she might be pregnant. She is by a one night stand who happened to be a food critic.

Neither one got what they were expecting, but in the end they cherish what they got.
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Three individuals who share the same birthday each reach a critial turning point in their lives. ( )
  lindahallmann | Sep 21, 2012 |
Its a great story of what may seem like an awful birthday, may actually be the best birthday yet. The best is yet to come.
Three main characters all have the dame birthday. Valerie turns 60 and does not look a day over 40. Her daughter April turns thirty. They look like they can be sisters more than mother and daughter. The male character whose name leaves me all celebrate their birthday with little excitement.
Valerie is told she will find a man. April learns she is pregnant from a one night stand while being drunk. The male character can't even walk on his birthday due to some wild acrobatic sex with a 20 year old. What lies a ahead for these folks? Aprils finds love with the baby's father. Valerie and the male character find they are perfect for each other and fall in love. Great story. Birthdays should be viewed with excitement and anticipation that the best is coming.
  Seale724 | Jun 5, 2012 |
Reviewed by April
Review copy provided by Delacorte Press
I have read several works by Danielle Steel over the years. For the most part, I can't really think of one that I truly disliked. I know that many people feel that much of Ms. Steel's work follows the same formula and are more or less similar stories with different names and locations, etc. Personally, however, I find myself enjoying the stories of real life types of people working through real life issues and the complexities of family dynamics that are addressed within many of Danielle Steel's books. Happy Birthday was no exception. Once I read the synopsis of the story, I was incredibly intrigued and wanted to delve right into the story.

Happy Birthday focuses on a mother and daughter - April, the daughter, who is incredibly work oriented and considers her beloved restaurant her entire life, she is celebrating her 30th birthday this year. Valerie, April's mother, is a world known and loved television personality that easily gives Martha Stewart a run for her money. This year, Valerie is celebrating her 60th birthday. Enter Jack Adams, a football hero who has lived the lush and spoiled life of woman and partying. This year, Jack is celebrating his 50th birthday. All three of these people celebrate their birthdays on the same day and all three people will have a very different year than they could ever imagine.

As far as characters go, I really enjoyed April, Valerie and Jack. I do have to admit that Valerie's over-the-top obsession about her age annoyed me a bit. Granted, growing older is difficult, especially the older one gets; however, her rantings about it were a bit much for me. I think my favorite character was April simply because she was such a strong and ambitious woman. I also loved how her character progresses throughout the story. I don't want to give too much away, but the trials and tribulations that she finds herself face to face with in her 30th year are all too common in today's society and the way that she deals with those things and herself lend a greatness to the overall story. As far as the jock, Jack, I also enjoyed his progression throughout the story. He matures in a way that is admirable and endured himself to me.

The story itself was enjoyable and flowed well. I do have to mention that I was a bit let down with the "terrifying act of violence". Though this sets a life changing flow into action for everyone, I thought that perhaps it could have been written a bit more in-depth. Again, I don't want to give too much away, but what I thought would be a bigger part of the story was basically a blimp on the overall map of the story.

Danielle Steel has such an incredible and enormous talent for story telling and drawing the reader into the worlds that she creates. For me, Happy Birthday was a very satisfying, engrossing and enjoyable read. This is a story of life, of facing your demons, dealing with the unexpected and coming out on top. The love stories within Happy Birthday were enduring and sweet, the life stories heartwarming. I greatly enjoyed Happy Birthday and look forward to diving into some of Danielle Steel's backlist books as well as her future works. ( )
  RtB | Feb 13, 2012 |

In this beguiling new novel, Danielle Steel tells the story of three very different people, each of whom, on the same day, reaches a crucial turning point in life—a rite both bittersweet and full of hope, a time to blow out the candles, say goodbye to the past, and make a wish for the future.

Valerie Wyatt is the queen of gracious living and the arbiter of taste. Since her long-ago divorce, she’s worked hard to reach the pinnacle of her profession and to create a camera-ready life in her Fifth Avenue penthouse. So why is she so depressed? All the hours with her personal trainer, the careful work of New York’s best hairdressers, cosmetic surgeons, and her own God-given bone structure and great looks can’t fudge the truth or her lies about it: Valerie is turning sixty.

Valerie’s daughter, April, has no love life, no rest, and no prospect of that changing in the foreseeable future. Her popular one-of-a-kind restaurant in downtown New York, where she is chef and owner, consumes every ounce of her attention and energy. Ready or not, though, April’s life is about to change, in a tumultuous transformation that begins the morning it hits her: She’s thirty. And what does she have to show for it? A restaurant, no man, no kids.

Jack Adams once threw a football like a guided missile. Twelve years after retiring from the NFL, he is the most charismatic sports analyst on TV, a man who has his pick of the most desirable twentysomething women. But after a particularly memorable Halloween party, Jack wakes up on his fiftieth birthday, his back thrown out of whack, feeling every year his age.

A terrifying act of violence, an out-of-the-blue blessing, and two extremely unlikely love affairs soon turn lives inside out and upside down. In a novel brimming with warmth and insight, beginning on one birthday and ending on another, Valerie, April, and Jack discover that life itself can be a celebration—and that its greatest gifts are always a surprise.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:09 -0400)

"Valerie Wyatt is at the top of her game--she has parlayed her talent for entertaining and home decorating into a multimedia empire, and her name is synonymous with class and exquisite taste. And yet, though she has achieved enviable professional success, her ambition and hard work have given her little room for a personal life. She is divorced, and though she has a strong relationship with her daughter, she finds herself alone as her 60th birthday approaches. Valerie's daughter, April, is also a dynamo in her chosen field. A top-notch chef, she owns her own restaurant--a cozy place that dishes up both comfort food and rare delicacies. The restaurant is a smashing success, and April devotes herself to it body and soul. Like her mother, she values professional success more than romance, and she cannot find any room for a man in her life as her 30th birthday grows nearer. The closest she has come to a relationship in years is an ill-advised one night stand. Jack Adams is a famous former NFL player, who is now an immensely successful sportscaster. He is also an incorrigible womanizer, who makes a habit of bedding models who are half his age. Nearing age 50 he begins to wonder if his wild ways still suit him, or if it's finally time to grow up. These three driven professionals share the same birthday. And this year, the day that they share will prove to be one that changes their lives forever. Their birthday will set into motion a dramatic series of events--danger, adventure, laughter, heartbreak, and joy...and, ultimately, the most fulfilling "birthday gift" of all"--… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible