Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock

Elric of Melniboné (1972)

by Michael Moorcock

Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber (Patangel)
    Conan by Robert E. Howard (Patangel)
    Jirel of Joiry by C. L. Moore (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: Two unusual heroes. Elric, an albino, Jirel, a woman. Lively and exciting tales of sword and sorcery.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (artturnerjr)
    The Complete Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen (MyriadBooks)
    The iron dream by Norman Spinrad (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Spinrad takes the deliberately exaggerated phallic symbolism of the Elric stories to extremes that Moorcock never dreamed of.
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Sword and sorcery meets sword and planet.
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Brooding,introspective sci fi/fantasy
    A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (artturnerjr)

English (42)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (46)
3.5 - I wanted some classic high fantasy and this sated that craving perfectly. Listened on audio. ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
I have been hearing people talk about this series for years and Have wanted to read it. Just listened to the Audio and I have to agree it is a good book. I am sure I would have liked it more if I had read it all those years ago though. It is a good yet simple plot more for the younger readers but still enjoyable for an old guy like me. I would rate it 3 1/2 stars but I cant so rounded up. This would be a great introduction to fantasy for the kids. Much better than my first Fantasy series Thomas Covenant when I was 11 ;) ( )
  Trevorsherman | Oct 25, 2017 |
By many of today's standards, the writing in Elric seems amateurish and unrefined. It his, however, a solid example of writing in the time it was written.

I must confess that I have been slack in my duties as a lover of Speculative Fiction. I have just read Elric for the first time in my life.

I like that Elric is not the classic, strong warrior of so many fantasy stories. He is strong in his own way, but he is certainly no Conan or Tarzan. His is a strength of will.

The story is engaging for all it's 1960's pulp conventions. A classic Heroic Quest, it is a quick read (about 3 hours for me), though not as quick as the low page count would seem to indicate. The prose is dense despite it's simplicity.

A good book that leaves me wanting to know more about Elric and his world. ( )
1 vote Grimshado | Apr 19, 2017 |
A prequel to the Elric saga picking up with Elric romancing Cymoril before coming into possession of the hellsword Stormbringer. A complete story in itself, and Moorcock is at the height of his storytelling powers, but this doesn't actually add much to the canon. ( )
1 vote SFF1928-1973 | Mar 18, 2017 |

Moorcock, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gould, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Poul Anderson for "The Broken Sword" and "Three Hearts and Three Lions". To the late Fletcher Pratt for "The Well of the Unicorn". To the late Bertolt Brecht for "The Threepenny Opera" which, for obscure reasons, I link with the other books as being one of the chief influences on the first Elric series.
It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows below his shoulders is milk-white.
This "Elric of Melniboné" contains one novel (of that title), do NOT combine with the omnibus titled "Elric of Melniboné" which has been published under the ISBNs 1857980379, 1565041801, 156504195X and 1857983343, as those also includes other novels ("The Fortress of the Pearl" and "The Sailor on the Seas of Fate").

The first book in the Elric sequence (by its internal chronology). (Not to be confused with the Millennium omnibus of the same name!)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441203981, Mass Market Paperback)

Elric of Melniboné is a requisite title in the hard fantasy canon, a book no fantasy fan should leave unread. Author Michael Moorcock, already a major player in science fiction, cemented his position in the fantasy pantheon with the five-book Elric saga, of which Elric of Melniboné is the first installment. The book's namesake, the brooding albino emperor of the dying nation of Melniboné, is a sort of Superman for Goths, truly an archetype of the genre.

The youthful Elric is a cynical and melancholy king, heir to a nation whose 100,000-year rule of the world ended less than 500 years hence. More interested in brooding contemplation than holding the throne, Elric is a reluctant ruler, but he also realizes that no other worthy successor exists and the survival of his once-powerful, decadent nation depends on him alone. Elric's nefarious, brutish cousin Yrkoon has no patience for his physically weak kinsman, and he plots constantly to seize Elric's throne, usually over his dead body. Elric of Melniboné follows Yrkoon's scheming, reaching its climax in a battle between Elric and Yrkoon with the demonic runeblades Stormbringer and Mournblade. In this battle, Elric gains control of the soul-stealing Stormbringer, an event that proves pivotal to the Elric saga. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:44 -0400)

"A stunning collection of tales from the master of heroic fantasy - featuring Elric of Melnibone the first hero-villain star of song, story, rock show, pc- and role-playing-games and graphic novels"--Publisher's web site.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,552,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible