Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock

Elric of Melniboné (1972)

by Michael Moorcock

Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber (Patangel)
    Conan by Robert E. Howard (Patangel)
    Jirel of Joiry by C. L. Moore (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: Two unusual heroes. Elric, an albino, Jirel, a woman. Lively and exciting tales of sword and sorcery.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (artturnerjr)
    The Complete Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen (MyriadBooks)
    The iron dream by Norman Spinrad (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Spinrad takes the deliberately exaggerated phallic symbolism of the Elric stories to extremes that Moorcock never dreamed of.
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Sword and sorcery meets sword and planet.
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Brooding,introspective sci fi/fantasy
    A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (artturnerjr)

English (38)  French (3)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  English (43)
The plot of this heroic fantasy from the 1970s is simple but Elric is well-drawn and his scenario is interesting: the virtually immortal emperor of an amoral people, he discovers morality and a conscience. Some of his courtiers take this amiss - his cousin in particular - and challenge his fitness to rule them. Elric is the antithesis of Conan: thin and pale, susceptible to physical weakness and relying on drugs, magic and allies to sustain him. The writing is serviceable and the plot unfolds quickly and engagingly, an example of a short novel that packs a lot in. I didn't get very far with it as a kid, but as an adult I've found a great throwback that I'm glad I returned to. More Elric may be in order. ( )
  Cecrow | Dec 1, 2016 |
I have whole chunks of this book memorized from repeated teenaged readings. It's still awesome. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Yes, I seem to be in something of a science fiction/fantasy pattern in recent reading. Nostalgic, entertaining...Moorcock brings back the excitement of the sf/fantasy of the 60's and 70's, when it took on literary techniques and dark themes from the culture. This reminds me of how much I enjoyed the first few books in Roger Zelazny's Amber series. And there's a lot more Elric to read. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |

I have this feeling that my luck is none too good. This sword here at my side don’t act the way it should. Keeps calling me it’s master, but I feel like it’s slave.
Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave.
And it howls! It howls like hell!

"Black Blade" by Blue Öyster Cult, lyrics by Michael Moorcock

How many authors do you know who gets to write lyrics for a song based on his book to be record by a legendary metal band? Elric has to be just about the coolest most bad ass mofo in the history of fantasy fiction. He is clearly not a graduate from the Cimmerian School Barbaric Fantasy Heroism though, he is more the regal melancholy type, a tall red eyed albino with a penchant for navel-gazing between slicing & dicing sessions. Elric is armed with an accursed soul sucking black sword called Stormbringer, a weapon so fearsome Excalibur would want to put a restraining order on it.

Considering the gargantuan length of your average fantasy epic these days it is amazing how much plot, characterization and action Moorcock managed to squeeze into less than 200 pages. Elric's character its developed quickly and vividly. The plot of this book is like Games of Thrones on speed and the end is a beginning for many more adventures to come.

Elric is one of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champions, essentially one hero in different versions protecting parallel universes. Most Eternal Champions books do not have to be read in order but as far as Elric is concerned this one is the best starting point. I am looking forward to reading them all. ( )
1 vote apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |

Sorry to say that I was a bit disappointed by this volume, the first of a new presentation of Elric in internal chronological order. About half of the book is the script of an Elric-before-he-was-King graphic novel, which is OK but I'd have preferred to get the real thing. There are some interesting essays and short pieces front and back, but I think it's really one for the Elric or Moorcock completist, and I am not one. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 12, 2015 |

Moorcock, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gould, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Poul Anderson for "The Broken Sword" and "Three Hearts and Three Lions". To the late Fletcher Pratt for "The Well of the Unicorn". To the late Bertolt Brecht for "The Threepenny Opera" which, for obscure reasons, I link with the other books as being one of the chief influences on the first Elric series.
It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows below his shoulders is milk-white.
This "Elric of Melniboné" contains one novel (of that title), do NOT combine with the omnibus titled "Elric of Melniboné" which has the ISBN 1857983343 as that also includes other novels ("The Fortress of the Pearl" and "The Sailor on the Seas of Fate").

The first book in the Elric sequence (by its internal chronology). (Not to be confused with the Millennium omnibus of the same name!)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441203981, Mass Market Paperback)

Elric of Melniboné is a requisite title in the hard fantasy canon, a book no fantasy fan should leave unread. Author Michael Moorcock, already a major player in science fiction, cemented his position in the fantasy pantheon with the five-book Elric saga, of which Elric of Melniboné is the first installment. The book's namesake, the brooding albino emperor of the dying nation of Melniboné, is a sort of Superman for Goths, truly an archetype of the genre.

The youthful Elric is a cynical and melancholy king, heir to a nation whose 100,000-year rule of the world ended less than 500 years hence. More interested in brooding contemplation than holding the throne, Elric is a reluctant ruler, but he also realizes that no other worthy successor exists and the survival of his once-powerful, decadent nation depends on him alone. Elric's nefarious, brutish cousin Yrkoon has no patience for his physically weak kinsman, and he plots constantly to seize Elric's throne, usually over his dead body. Elric of Melniboné follows Yrkoon's scheming, reaching its climax in a battle between Elric and Yrkoon with the demonic runeblades Stormbringer and Mournblade. In this battle, Elric gains control of the soul-stealing Stormbringer, an event that proves pivotal to the Elric saga. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:44 -0400)

Here are the first tales of the albino sorcerer-prince Elric: lord of the Dreaming City, last Emperor of Melnibon?, traitor, kinslayer. Doomed to wander the multiverse, battered by the whims of Law and Chaos, in thrall to his soul-eating sword, Stormbringer, Elric lies at the heart of Michael Moorcock's extraordinary mythology of the Eternal Champion.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,704,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible