Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Lady of the Rivers (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:blauerengel
Title:Lady of the Rivers
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Simon & Schuster Ome (2012), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, history

The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

This is the third novel in the series, but a lot of it takes place before the events of the first two. I liked its depiction of Jacquetta, who is someone I wasn't aware of until I read The White Queen and saw the television adaptation. All in all, an easy and fairly quick read. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Mar 13, 2015 |
You pretty much know what you are going to get with Philippa Gregory, and if that's your cup of tea then "The Lady of the Rivers" won't be any different.

This book tells the story of Jacquetta of Luxembourg (mother-in-law of King Edward IV), from her early life in France to her role as prominent friend and advisor to Margaret of Anjou during the Wars of the Roses.

As with most of Gregory's work, you are getting historical fiction lite here. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you are looking for something more substantial then you will probably be disappointed. Gregory uses the historical record as a jumping-off point from which to build her characters, and she weaves in lots of mythology and magical elements.

Overall, I enjoyed this book for what it was: an entertaining and light read about an intriguing time period and cast of characters. ( )
  Tess_Elizabeth | Feb 4, 2015 |
I found this book a bit boring in the beginning, but I really grew to love it. I will admit I had to do a lot of Googling to understand the history of the character Jacquetta and what was going on in the time period. Philippa did a great job making these characters come to life. I can see why the Plantagenets were interesting enough for her to write about. I can't wait to sink my teeth into the next book in the series (I'm reading them in chronological order). ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
The Lady of the Rivers is the third in The Cousins' War series by Philippa Gregory, following on from The White Queen and The Red Queen; although chronologically it can be read first.

The Lady of the Rivers begins in France in 1430 and is about the life of Jacquetta of Luxembourg. The White Queen is the story of Elizabeth Woodville, (who meets and marries King Edward IV) while in The Lady of the Rivers we learn all about Elizabeth's mother, Jacquetta.

After being widowed by the Duke of Bedford, Jacquetta becomes a very close friend of Margaret of Anjou, King Henry VI's Queen.

The novel contains all of the intrigue, danger, alliances, betrayals, sieges and power for the throne that thrilled readers (and myself) in The White Queen, at the same time chronicling the life of a fascinating woman in history. During her lifetime, Jacquetta gave birth to 14 children (amazing that she survived), outranked every other lady at court (apart from her friend the Queen) changed allegiances from the House of Lancaster to the House of York, was trialled for witchcraft and later saw her daughter become Queen. In the novel she is portrayed as being loyal to Margaret of Anjou and a devoted and loving wife to her second husband, Richard.

The magic and gift of foresight learned and inherited from Jacquetta's Great Aunt play a small role in the novel yet provide a wonderful backstory to the magic in The White Queen. (It was one of my favourite aspects of the novel, and really sets it apart from any other historical novel covering the War of the Roses).

My only wish when reading any novel by Philippa Gregory is that I could retain (and later recall) 100% of the historical information imparted along the way. The White Queen was made into a successful and TV series, and I also hope her other novels in the Cousins' War make their way onto the big screen as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining and engaging novel and was instantly caught up in this most fascinating period in our history all over again. The next in the series is The Kingmaker's Daughter and I can't wait to read it. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Oct 7, 2014 |
Excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Jacqueline, Lady Rivers and her husband are presented as very likable characters placed in a very bad position by the Lancastrian king and his queen that they serve, a very reluctant service at times as they can see the disaster looming in the future even without Lady River's second sight. ( )
  lisa.schureman | Sep 20, 2014 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jacquetta had the gift of second sight which she learned at an early age to keep secret. As a child she had met Joan of Arc, who had the same gift, but had met a horrific death when she was accused of witchcraft.   Jacquetta's 'talent' took her into close proximity to the English royal family, which resulted in her becoming mother of the White Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.

When the death of Joan of Arc shows her the dangers faced by strong women, Jacquetta, a psychic descendant of a river goddess, studies alchemy and becomes the secret wife of Richard Woodville before returning to the court of Henry VI.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,231,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible