Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Lady of the Rivers (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:blauerengel
Title:Lady of the Rivers
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Simon & Schuster Ome (2012), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, history

The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory (2011)

I love history and historical novels, so the story of Jacquetta and her life as a member of the court of King Henry (don't ask me which number) and Queen Margaret fascinated me. I have to confess, my knowledge of the real history is so poor, I had to keep turning to the family tree printed (thankfully!) at the front of the book to try to keep the various dukes and duchesses and other assorted royalty straight in my head, and even then I didn't quite succeed.

I also had some difficulty reading a fictionalized account of a terribly bloody period of time because I was afraid to turn the page and find out who was beheaded, or killed in battle, or imprisoned in the tower. Somehow knowing that the characters were based on real people kept me feeling a little queasy. Ms. Gregory is a skillful story-teller, though, and I couldn't put the book down until I'd finished.

All in all, I enjoyed the story, and can only count myself as blessed that I live in this time, and in this country. ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
I have gone back to this series of books as a new title has arrived on my doorstep - I am reading them in chronological order however to go through time with the characters. I found I enjoyed it even more reading for the second time - found details I had missed last time and got sucked totally sucked in. Completely devoured the book - Love this series of books - can only hope that Philippa Gregory will continue with it. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory; (4*)

The story of Jacquetta (Lady Rivers) is so interesting that it is surprising she has been quite lost to history. She was a Frenchwoman who married the most powerful Duke in England and goes to live in the country who which was the enemy of her homeland. Jacquetta goes on to break every rule and marries for love, influencing the kingdom as one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting. And all of this before her daughter became Queen of England.
Jacquetta was the mother of Elizabeth Woodville and is a fascinating woman to read about. She appears right in the middle of the War of the Roses & history dictated the role she was to play. I had never heard of her before reading The White Queen. I felt I wanted to know more about her as she has been my favorite character in this series. This book describes a time in England's history that is difficult to imagine and fills in a good deal of information missing from the other books of the series.
I quite enjoyed it. ( )
  rainpebble | Nov 27, 2015 |
This is the third novel in the series, but a lot of it takes place before the events of the first two. I liked its depiction of Jacquetta, who is someone I wasn't aware of until I read The White Queen and saw the television adaptation. All in all, an easy and fairly quick read. ( )
  mari_reads | May 17, 2015 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jacquetta had the gift of second sight which she learned at an early age to keep secret. As a child she had met Joan of Arc, who had the same gift, but had met a horrific death when she was accused of witchcraft.   Jacquetta's 'talent' took her into close proximity to the English royal family, which resulted in her becoming mother of the White Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.

When the death of Joan of Arc shows her the dangers faced by strong women, Jacquetta, a psychic descendant of a river goddess, studies alchemy and becomes the secret wife of Richard Woodville before returning to the court of Henry VI.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible