Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Lady of the Rivers (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Title:Lady of the Rivers
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Simon & Schuster Ome (2012), Paperback
Tags:fiction, history

The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory (2011)

This is the third novel in the series, but a lot of it takes place before the events of the first two. I liked its depiction of Jacquetta, who is someone I wasn't aware of until I read The White Queen and saw the television adaptation. All in all, an easy and fairly quick read. ( )
  mari_reads | May 17, 2015 |
why was she so taken with the queen who was an untrustworthy ally? i guess at court the king paid for everything, food, lodging, entertainment but you have to leave your kids behind at home. i guess if you were at court at least you knew what those rascally royals were up to? ( )
  mahallett | May 3, 2015 |
This book tells the story of Jacquetta of Luxembourg, briefly the wife of the John, Duke of Bedford, uncle to Henry VI and then of Richard Woodville, his squire. I thought the prose unremarkable, but the story moved right along, especially considering that Jacquetta is not one of the really major characters in this saga. ( )
  gbelik | Apr 17, 2015 |
You pretty much know what you are going to get with Philippa Gregory, and if that's your cup of tea then "The Lady of the Rivers" won't be any different.

This book tells the story of Jacquetta of Luxembourg (mother-in-law of King Edward IV), from her early life in France to her role as prominent friend and advisor to Margaret of Anjou during the Wars of the Roses.

As with most of Gregory's work, you are getting historical fiction lite here. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you are looking for something more substantial then you will probably be disappointed. Gregory uses the historical record as a jumping-off point from which to build her characters, and she weaves in lots of mythology and magical elements.

Overall, I enjoyed this book for what it was: an entertaining and light read about an intriguing time period and cast of characters. ( )
  Tess_Elizabeth | Feb 4, 2015 |
I found this book a bit boring in the beginning, but I really grew to love it. I will admit I had to do a lot of Googling to understand the history of the character Jacquetta and what was going on in the time period. Philippa did a great job making these characters come to life. I can see why the Plantagenets were interesting enough for her to write about. I can't wait to sink my teeth into the next book in the series (I'm reading them in chronological order). ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jacquetta had the gift of second sight which she learned at an early age to keep secret. As a child she had met Joan of Arc, who had the same gift, but had met a horrific death when she was accused of witchcraft.   Jacquetta's 'talent' took her into close proximity to the English royal family, which resulted in her becoming mother of the White Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.

When the death of Joan of Arc shows her the dangers faced by strong women, Jacquetta, a psychic descendant of a river goddess, studies alchemy and becomes the secret wife of Richard Woodville before returning to the court of Henry VI.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible