Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Lady of the Rivers (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:blauerengel
Title:Lady of the Rivers
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Simon & Schuster Ome (2012), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, history

The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

This book is told from the viewpoint of Jacquetta of Luxemburg, who became the Duchess of Bedford when she was 17, making her wife to the regent of England - the duke being uncle to Henry VI who was then too young to rule.

The story covers the period of 1430-1464, thus it comprises of the times leading up to the Wars of the Roses, and the early years of these conflicts.

When the duke dies not long after their marriage, the duchess "lowers" herself by marrying Sir Richard Woodville. Together they produce many children, one of whom - Elizabeth - grows up to marry Edward IV, so as their eldest daughter goes on to marry Henry VII, Jacquetta - a little-known historical figure - is in fact Henry VIII's great-grandmother.

Author Philippa Gregory notes that she considers Jacquetta an overlooked woman form history. As there is little info on Jacquetta's life, Ms Gregory was able to use her imagination to fill in the gaps, focusing heavily on the superstition that Jacquetta was descended from the legend of Melusina; a woman believed to be a goddess who associated her powers with water.

I think I may have enjoyed this story more had there been less emphasis on the supernatural and a bit more realism, but that's not to say the magical elements drag the novel down. I'm also not a fan of narratives told in the present tense, but this is just a personal taste, not a criticism of the author.

Worth reading. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Mar 21, 2014 |
The best of the series...so far. Really enjoyed it. ( )
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
Have I not read this book before, it would appear not this actual book but certainly soemthing like it. Perhaps this is based on some historical person on which abnother book was based but I found it rather frustrating when i knew exactly what was going to happen.
However still a good solid read for those into historical fiction.
  jessicariddoch | Nov 26, 2013 |
Having enjoyed the recent series of The White Queen, I thought I would give the books a read as in my experience a book is usually better than it's TV/film adaptation. I chose to start with this book as, although it is officially the third book in the Cousins' War series, it is the first book in the chronological order.

I started the book with high expectations and it certainly did not disappoint me. The book follows Jacquetta's story, mother of Elizabeth Woodville, future Queen of England. Jacquetta's involvement with King Henry VI and his wife Margaret of Anjou is a fascinating story, it is interesting to follow the story of Henry VI and Margaret as the King loses control of his mind and his kingdom.

If the other books in the series are as good as this one, then I shall be very happy indeed. I now have a craving to find a non-fiction book that tells me more of Jacquetta's story. ( )
  Sahara20 | Sep 19, 2013 |
Boring. ( )
  Contusions | Sep 4, 2013 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jacquetta had the gift of second sight which she learned at an early age to keep secret. As a child she had met Joan of Arc, who had the same gift, but had met a horrific death when she was accused of witchcraft.   Jacquetta's 'talent' took her into close proximity to the English royal family, which resulted in her becoming mother of the White Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.

When the death of Joan of Arc shows her the dangers faced by strong women, Jacquetta, a psychic descendant of a river goddess, studies alchemy and becomes the secret wife of Richard Woodville before returning to the court of Henry VI.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible