Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Speak to Our Desires by Brenda W Clough

Info:
Rating:*1/2

Speak To Our Desires by B. W. Clough

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to know exactly what someone wanted just by looking at them? No guess work or painful conversation where they may or may not be truthful with you? Well that is what this book is all about. Ellie Quartern and her mother have a gift of sight that allows them to see what peoples deepest desires are. Its main focus is a search for Ellie's mother. She has gone missing so Ellie hires Tim Coates a privet investigator to find her. In the possess they both find something wonderful and horrible out about themselves. I really like the concept of this book but I do not think that it was executed very well. It seemed to be out of order and it ended very abruptly leaving you with a sense of informational loss. If you have nothing better to do and you like mystery, romance, drama and a bit of fictional documentary all rolled in to one then this book is for you. ( )
  sallyawolf | Feb 25, 2013 |
  sallyawolf | Feb 25, 2013 |
  sallyawolf | Nov 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story centers on a detective who is presented with a missing person’s case by a very beautiful woman. He soon finds out the missing person is this woman’s mother and they both have a special ability to read minds and thoughts of others and sometimes influence those thoughts. The story continues in the search for her mother as well as giving the reader an in depth background of her life leading up until now. I enjoyed this book for the reason that it is very realistic with the slightest touch of fantasy/sci-fi which is a genre I enjoy. It was a bit confusing at first since you didn’t know when the story was jumping around different times. You would be reading in current time and suddenly go back 10 years ago in the next chapter with no warning or reasoning to why you are suddenly learning about the past. A lot of times this bothered me since it never really seemed to tie anything up. I guess by the end if just gave you a full picture of her life, but up until then I was a little frustrated. This was the only downside, the writing was great and I really felt for both main characters. To my surprise I also liked the ending and the way everything was wrapped up. I’d recommend this book to someone who enjoys detective stories, especially ones with a twist (as this one has that!). ( )
  afyfe | May 31, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt as though I had to suspend my belief in the entire emotional system of a human in order to read this book. I can handle fantasy - I like fantasy. Paranormal stuff - sure. I am willing to pretend it exists. But someone who falls so hard in love that they basically give up their life in one day? I don't think so. Especially not an older gentleman who should have a lot of world experience up their sleeve. Even the explanation that it was her "special ability" that made it possible - what a cop out. Sorry, but this book was a disappointment. ( )
  carmelitasita29 | Sep 29, 2011 |
It was of erotic love that the Roman poet said, "I love and I hate," but other kinds of love admit the same mixture. They carry in them the seeds of hatred.

C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
When I say I'm a private investigator, you might think James Bond or Sherlock Holmes.

It's June 1969 in New York City. The moon is in the second house, Jupiter has aligned with Mars, and private investigator Tim Coates is having his own personal summer of love.

A gorgeous blonde girl hires him to find her missing mother. Finally, his life is starting to look like Nero Wolfe's! But Ellie Quartern and her mom are not your standard damsels in distress. They share an eerie and destructive secret that warps hearts and destroys lives.

As Tim digs deeper into their dark private world, he's not in a mystery, but a horror novel. And he discovers that the Rolling Stones were wrong. Even when you get what you want, you just might find that it's not at all what you need.

A Fantasy Mystery novel from Brenda Clough.

Brenda W. Clough spent much of her childhood overseas, courtesy of the U.S. government. She is the author of many short stories and novels, including HOW LIKE A GOD from Tor Books and REVISE THE WORLD from Book View Cafe Press. She was a finalist in 2001 for both the Hugo and the Nebula Awards.

The Rolling Stones were wrong. Even when you get what you want, you just might find that it's not at all what you need. June 1969, New York City. Private investigator Tim Coates is having his own personal summer of love. A gorgeous blonde hires him to find her missing mother, but as Tim digs deeper into their dark private world, he discovers he's not in a mystery. He's in a horror novel.Certain images come to my mind when I think of the 1960s: psychedelic hippies, social unrest, my childhood (oops, too much information), but rarely do I think of private detectives meeting femme fatales. That is what Speak to Our Desires seems to be about in the first pages, but Brenda Clough has taken this cliche to a whole new realm of the fantastic, one that is both enthralling and chilling... The ending is the biggest surprise and one that has kept me thinking back on this book again and again.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speak To Our Desires by Brenda Clough was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible