How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend…

How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend

by Gary Ghislain

On the whole, I thought this would better as a graphic novel. An amusing, fast read about a fourteen year old boy on the run with a beautiful escaped psychiatric patient who thinks she is an alien and must find Johnny Depp to complete her mission. Pushes suspension of disbelief past the breaking point - all flash and hormones and very little substance. I predict teen readers will love it and it will be made into a movie. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was completely smitten with this book for middle-graders. I wish I hadn't taken so long to get around to reading it. The unique plot involves a visiting alien whom a step-brother/sister duo tries to help whilst risking their own lives and sanity in the process. Lots of laughs, a whirlwind of action and blooming romance. These types of boy/girl fantasies are quite the norm, but this one does provide uniqueness with it's setting in the Parisian countryside of France and the capital city itself. Whilst the odd involvement of Johnny Depp is a story grabber and all three main characters, Frog, Malou and Zelda bloom and grow throughout the story. I enjoyed the fast-paced, high-quality writing and would read this author again. A wild, funny and meaningful ride for MGs and YAs. The author is Parisian-American and due to this my warning to some parents is a note on acceptable cultural differences. The book contains smoking, wine-drinking (even while driving) and suggestive sexual interaction. Personally, I rate the book Middle-Grade and up. Age12+ ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 6, 2015 |
How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend by Gary Ghislain would make a good double header with Stuck on Earth by David Klass. Both take troubled teenagers who have stories about being aliens. Rather than making their claims a metaphor for deeper feelings of not fitting, the plot plays out straight up.

David Gershwin's father is a psychologist. His current patient is a trouble teenager, Zelda, who claims to be a warrior from space, genetically programmed to procreate with a single human male — Johnny Depp. Yep — Johnny Depp. There are a couple problems — she's in France and he could be anywhere in the world, depending on his filming schedule.

David ends up on the run with Zelda, for a madcap adventure through France. It's as wacky an adventure as The Fifth Element but for tween readers. It's a short, fun read. I enjoyed every single page. It was one of the rare books that I was actually sad to see end. ( )
  pussreboots | Feb 27, 2014 |
I was given this book on a tour of Chronicle Books in San Francisco that I took with Lenore and several other bloggers. I was immediately drawn to the book because of it’s great hitchhiker-esque cover and fabulous title.

I began reading How I Stole Johnny Depp’s Alien Girlfriend at a theme park. I finished half of the book in the few hours at the park taking in the looks of disbelief that someone could have fun reading in a place with so much to do. I don’t do coasters people. However I think the carnival music and massive amounts of people floating around me on the super warm spring day added to the ambiance of reading this book.

How I Stole Johnny Depp’s Alien Girlfriend is everything you think it will be from the title. We have fourteen year old French David who is schooled in the ways of love and mental illness staying with his dad at his house in the countryside when Zelda shows up. Zelda is very violent and believes she is from another planet and needs to find her mate (who turns out to be Johnny Depp of course) before time runs out and her key to her home planet is lost forever.

At first David thinks she is interesting although crazy and he spends his time trying to get her to admit she is just another chick in love with Johnny Depp. As time goes on however David begins to believe Zelda’s claims and becomes her Pudin (helper sounds like Pudding) and the book takes off at a break-neck pace to the conclusion.

We meet some incredibly interesting characters along the way. David’s Mom who is the atypical French Dragon Woman stereotype who is incredibly violent to her boyfriend and David himself. David’s step sister who was thrown out of the house at sixteen by Dragon Mother. Aliens from Zelda’s planet who failed and lost their key home.

This book is fast paced, fun and a great comedic sci fi for younger readers. I can’t wait to buy a finished copy and read it all over again. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
It was a really extremely good story and had a great plot and moral to the story. I read this book because of the title.
1 vote edspicer | Apr 28, 2013 |
There are a few things everybody knows about Zelda:

(from the back of the book) David Gershwin's summer is about to take a turn for the weird.  When his dad's new patient Zelda tells him she's from outer space and on a quest to take Johnny Depp back to her planet, he knows he should run away screaming.  But with one look from her mean, green eyes, David's hooked, and soon he's leaping across rooftops, running from police, and stealing cars just to stay by her side.  He might not be a typical hero, but David's going to get the girl even if it takes him to the ends of the earth - or beyond.

Fourteen-year-old David, the son of a famous French psychologist, falls in love with Zelda, a new patient who believes she is from outer space, and soon they are tearing through Paris in search of her chosen one, Johnny Depp, so that she can take him to her home planet, Vahalal.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gary Ghislain's book How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Gary Ghislain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible