The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

The Running Dream (edition 2012)

by Wendelin Van Draanen

Member:ahsreads
Title:The Running Dream
Authors:Wendelin Van Draanen
Info:Ember (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:G12, realistic fiction, running, teen, courage, dream, love, sport, disability, track

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen (Author)

4Q 4P (my VOYA code) A very interesting book about what it might be like to live with a disability, especially a disability caused by a tragic accident. As a long distant runner myself, I felt a lot of sympathy for Jessica and was very distressed when she was distressed. This book really focused on emotions and relationships and would be appealing to a wide range of young adults. ( )
  LoisHaight | Jun 8, 2014 |
The beauty of this book is that the accident the main character experiences, but is rather the plot device. The accident is the obstacle that the main character must come to terms with, but not be defined by. While some of the friendships and the last run in the book are almost a little too saccharine-sweet, the power in this novel is that the character is able to do what she loves: run. She solves her problems and has love and support from her family along the way. She's irritated and depressed, but she doesn't stay stuck. She goes on to have a life, which is very powerful. The book is written in short, inviting prose. Nothing fancy, but honest, so I would give it a 3Q. The voice is true and will appeal to teens. The book doesn't have the name recognition as other famous and popular titles, but if booktalked or recommended the right way, teens will dive into this book, so I would give it a 3P.
  superlibrarian88 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Jessica is hit with a tragic accident that takes a part of her that she can't get back. The emotional roller coaster that comes with becoming an amputee after a fatal accident that takes the life of one of her team mates takes readers on a ride they will never forget.

Jessica's life is turned upside down, but there are always alternatives and ways of coping with the help of family, friends, and new friends that help along the way. This is a sad, yet uplifting story of a girl that loses her leg and her dream is shattered, but pieces can be put back together with hope and courage. ( )
  miss_bc | May 20, 2014 |
REVIEW: This book needs to be more popular! The rating reflects it's quality as superb. The Running dream really reaches and tugs the heartstrings for anyone at any age. Although I think it's best audience would best be middle school aged students. As an adult I read into different qualities of the book than those between 11-14 would; this did not stop me from loving the main plot line.
OPINION: I wish the romance was gone. YA novels need to be able to stand on their own two feet (irony) without the super artificial love story woven in where it's not needed. Had that have been nixed I would've given it a 5Q. However, sometimes these things are unavoidable.
  kacieg | May 19, 2014 |
4Q, 4P

Jessica is the best runner in high school, running is her life so when she loses her leg, she's obviously devastated. The overall message of the book is a good one - there's a lot of positivity and inspiration. However, I feel like there could've been a little more character development, especially with Gavin - the whole thing felt confusing and I was not sure why it was there. Overall though I feel this is a good reads that I think teens would enjoy a lot.

Quote: “Don't sum up a person based on what you see, or what you don't understand; get to know them” ( )
  freeborboleta | May 18, 2014 |
My life is over.

Winner of the 2012 Schneider Family Book Award

Jessica thinks her life is over when she loses a leg in a car accident. She's not comforted by the news that she'll be able to walk with the help of a prosthetic leg. Who cares about walking when you live to run?

As she struggles to cope with crutches and a first cyborg-like prosthetic, Jessica feels oddly both in the spotlight and invisible. People who don't know what to say, act like she's not there. Which she could handle better if she weren't now keenly aware that she'd done the same thing herself to a girl with CP named Rosa. A girl who is going to tutor her through all the math she's missed. A girl who sees right into the heart of her.

With the support of family, friends, a coach, and her track teammates, Jessica may actually be able to run again. But that's not enough for her now. She doesn't just want to cross finish lines herself—she wants to take Rosa with her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:17 -0400)

When a school bus accident leaves sixteen-year-old Jessica an amputee, she returns to school with a prosthetic limb and her track team finds a wonderful way to help rekindle her dream of running again.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,128,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible