The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

The Running Dream (edition 2012)

by Wendelin Van Draanen

Member:ahsreads
Title:The Running Dream
Authors:Wendelin Van Draanen
Info:Ember (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:G12, realistic fiction, running, teen, courage, dream, love, sport, disability, track

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

Recently added bySalsabrarian, StMattsTosa, hixh, SGKowalski, ddbrown201, private library, Kismets, HeatherLINC

Narrated by Laura Flanagan. After losing her leg in a car accident, high school track athlete Jessica struggles to find her footing (so to speak) in her new life as an amputee. Not being able to run again is her greatest loss. But Jessica is fortunate to have a strong emotional support system at home, school and eventually the wider community. She is also further enlightened after forming a friendship with a student who has cerebral palsy. The one small flaw for me was that Jessica's grief seemed short-lived. But perhaps as an athlete with a support system, it would be appropriate. Flanagan expresses Jessica's struggle well and brought action to the running scenes which I would probably have glossed over in print. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Really good story about a girl athlete who is injured in a car accident and loses a leg. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Wow, this is such an inspirational story and so beautifully written - I canÛªt recommend it highly enough! At sixteen, the unthinkable happens. Jessica is involved in a serious accident which leaves a team mate dead and part of her leg amputated. Being an elite runner, Jessica feels that her world has ended. However, this is a book about courage, perseverance, hope, true friendships and new beginnings.

I was totally engrossed in Jessica's journey. I shared her highs and her lows. I laughed and cried with her, and I found myself cheering for her time and time again. She is a fabulous, moving heroine with an honest voice and is supported by a range of wonderful characters. I love Fiona, Jessica‰Ûªs best friend, who is quirky and upbeat, but I think I was touched most by Rosa. Rosa has cerebral palsy, a fabulous mathematical brain and continual words of encouragement for Jessica, but she wants to be known for who is is, not what disability she she suffers from. I particularly liked how the friendship between Jessica and Rosa develops and was moved by what Jessica does for Rosa at the end of the story as a thank you for everything Rosa has done for her.

HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
My life is over. Behind the morphine dreams is the nightmare of reality. Reality I can't face.

Winner of the 2012 Schneider Family Book Award

Jessica thinks her life is over when she loses a leg in a car accident. She's not comforted by the news that she'll be able to walk with the help of a prosthetic leg. Who cares about walking when you live to run?

As she struggles to cope with crutches and a first cyborg-like prosthetic, Jessica feels oddly both in the spotlight and invisible. People who don't know what to say, act like she's not there. Which she could handle better if she weren't now keenly aware that she'd done the same thing herself to a girl with CP named Rosa. A girl who is going to tutor her through all the math she's missed. A girl who sees right into the heart of her.

With the support of family, friends, a coach, and her track teammates, Jessica may actually be able to run again. But that's not enough for her now. She doesn't just want to cross finish lines herself—she wants to take Rosa with her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

When a school bus accident leaves sixteen-year-old Jessica an amputee, she returns to school with a prosthetic limb and her track team finds a wonderful way to help rekindle her dream of running again.

71 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,012,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible