Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: From the…

Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week: From the Entrance Into Jerusalem To The… (2011)

by Pope Benedict XVI

English (5)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (7)
Rich and accessible reflections on Jesus' final week by the Pope. This book is conversant with historical critical scholarship, the theological tradition and patristic exegesis (the pope is a good scholar). At certain points I wish that he updated his exposure to protestant commentators. I mean, I'm glad he's read Barret, Dodd and Bultmann but I would have liked to seen some reflections on N.T. Wright's work, Jesus seminar scholars (as a foil) or Richard Bauckham or someone doing great work today. I'm glad he's read protestants, I just wish they weren't all dead. The way he blends historical-critical insights with theological interpretation is great though and there are some real insights here. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
A little less concise and clear than the first volume, but still filled with a lot of insight. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
The Pope traces the time from entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection to establish Jesus as an historical person. He also suggests that the next step was for the Jews to move to Christianity as well as Gentiles thus creating a peaceful world. Contains resources used, glossary and biblical reference (although He does not indicate the version of the Bible used.) ( )
  oldbookswine | Jun 19, 2011 |
In this second book of Pope Benedict XVI's "personal search for the face of Jesus", he presents a fundamental and essential description of Jesus both as a historical person marking an event in the history of mankind and a faith-deducing person in Christ. His interpretation of the coming events in scripture from the entrance into Jerusalem, to the passover meal, his crucifixion and finally the resurrection and ascension is beautifully crafted, rich in theology and critical rationality. Since this is a book done in his personal curiosity, it should not be understood as the final teachings of the Church. Nevertheless, Benedict XVI provides an insightful reflection and in some points, new ways of looking at the scriptural events. His manner of explaining events through the lens of Jewish tradition makes the reader understand more the context of what is happening. It is a decisive work where he draws back meaning on original texts, in Hebrew, Greek and Latin and presents how these are understood today. Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week is not only a work of purely academic and theological depth but also a spiritual work of art that induces meditation and hunger for knowledge who Christ is. ( )
  CACPua | May 6, 2011 |
At last I am able to present to the public Part Two of my book on Jesus of Nazareth.
Jesus of Nazareth is the Son of God, and no myth, revolutionary, or misunderstood prophet, insists Benedict XVI. He thinks that the best of historical scholarship, while it can't "prove" Jesus is the Son of God, certainly doesn't disprove it. Indeed, Benedict maintains that the evidence, fairly considered, brings us face-to-face with the challenge of Jesus--a real man who taught and acted in ways that were tantamount to claims of divine authority, claims not easily dismissed as lunacy or deception.

Why was Jesus rejected by the religious leaders of his day? Who was responsible for his death? Did he establish a Church to carry on his work? How did Jesus view his suffering and death? How should we? And, most importantly, did Jesus really rise from the dead and what does his resurrection mean? The story of Jesus raises many crucial questions.

Benedict brings to his study the vast learning of a brilliant scholar, the passionate searching of a great mind, and the deep compassion of a pastor's heart. In the end, he dares readers to grapple with the meaning of Jesus' life, teaching, death, and resurrection.

Offers a detailed analysis of Jesus Christ's final week in Jerusalem, examining the political, religious, and scholarly aspects of Jesus' life, teaching, death, and resurrection.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,546,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible