Barking!

by Liz Evans

Series: PI Grace Smith (4)

Stuart Roberts is a mild-mannered, shy accountant suffering from nightmares in which he remembers committing a violent murder (possibly two) and wants to know if they really happened. Grace doesn't want to take the case on the grounds that murders tend to mean there's someone who is prepared to kill around and she'd rather pass - thanks very much. However, these are killings with a difference: they took place nearly thirty years before Stuart was born. During his dreams Stuart becomes 'Joe' and has vivid recollections of life as a hop farmer's son, a world Stuart swears he knows absolutely nothing about. Despite her scepticism Grace has never been able to resist the lure of an unlimited expense account, so she takes the job. And then discovers that her client isn't quite what he appears to be ...… (more)

I had a couple of other calls I needed to make, but I decided I might as well fix our breakfast first. The post arrived as i was dishing up. Two bills for Arlene, a dozen letters and a parcel for Waterloo. Did I mention they'd started sending him fan mail? Generally addressed to the 'brave little dog who saved the little girl' or some such. I was now the unofficial secretary and only dogsbody of the mutt's fan club.

Private investigator Grace Smith reluctantly agrees to dog-sit for a friendly but troublesome dog whose owner is having an operation and finds herself mingling with rock royalty while investigating a murder that may or may not have happened in the 1930s. Refusing to be side-tracked by talk of past-life regressions, Grace eventually finds out what is really going on, and Waterloo's presence almost makes up for the lack of donkeys in the story. ( )
  isabelx | Jul 22, 2010 |
This was a fun book. Very British. Similar in a vague way to Stephanie Plum. ( )
  ambeyer | Feb 28, 2009 |
Once again, lots of different plot lines, all satisfyingly tied in together in the end. The dog sitting was funny - it is amazing how dogs grow on you! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 9, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

To Dad - with thanks for the support
while writing this book.

I should also like to send my
thanks to Rob Davis for providing
historical background information.
My contact with the paranormal started the day I knocked someone out with half a cow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,143,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible