Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Berlin Boxing Club by Robert Sharenow

The Berlin Boxing Club

by Robert Sharenow

This is a book I need to share with 10th grade English/Global studies teachers and students. Great historical fiction from inside Nazi Germany in the late 1930's. Told from the perspective of a young man growing up in Berlin, secular Jewish background, caught up in the racist profiling against non Aryan people.
Of course, to me it resonates with our current battle against profiling Hispanics. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
RGG: Set in pre-WWII Germany, combining the rise of anti-semitism with the sport of boxing, especially German hero Max Schmeling. Perhaps a bit slow in spots, but a worthwhile exposure to this time in history. Reading Interest: 12-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Feb 6, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  Dawnssj | Jan 26, 2018 |
WWII
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
Hands down one of the best fictional Holocaust novels for teens I have ever read, and I have read a lot! I could not put this down and finished this within a day. I love historical fiction and I love boxing so this book was a match made in heaven. Loosely based off of historical events surrounding the world heavyweight boxing champion from Germany, this novel centers on a young Jewish boy, Karl, in Berlin who gets the amazing opportunity to train under the great boxer himself. As anti-antisemitism grows in Germany, Karl finds himself in a tight spot; even though he looks Aryan and isn't a practicing Jew he gets lumped in with all the undesirables and all he wants to do is box, draw cartoons, and try to win over the cute girl living in the apartment complex. Filled with cartoon sketches, boxing advice, and the trials of growing up in a society where you and your family are reviled, this story resonated with me and I LOVED it! I liked it so much that it's one I would buy and re-read. Fantastic and not just for teenagers or fans of boxing. ( )
  ecataldi | May 18, 2016 |
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 2013 - 5774
As Herr Boch finished the last lecture of the school year, I sketched one final caricature of him into the margins of my notebook. He had bushy gray hair, and long muttonchop sideburns framed his jowly face.

Fourteen-year-old Karl Stern has never thought of himself as a Jew. But to the bullies at his school in Naziera Berlin, it doesn't matter that Karl has never set foot in a synagogue or that his family doesn't practice religion. Demoralized by relentless attacks on a heritage he doesn't accept as his own, Karl longs to prove his worth to everyone around him.
So when Max Schmeling, champion boxer and German national hero, makes a deal with Karl's father to give Karl boxing lessons, Karl sees it as the perfect chance to reinvent himself. A skilled cartoonist, Karl has never had an interest in boxing, but as Max becomes the mentor Karl never had, Karl soon finds both his boxing skills and his art flourishing.
But when Nazi violence against Jews escalates, Karl must take on a new role: protector of his family. Karl longs to ask his new mentor for help, but with Max's fame growing, he is forced to associate with Hitler and other Nazi elites, leaving Karl to wonder where his hero's sympathies truly lie. Can Karl balance his dream of boxing greatness with his obligation to keep his family out of harm's way?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

In 1936 Berlin, fourteen-year-old Karl Stern, considered Jewish despite a non-religious upbringing, learns to box from the legendary Max Schmeling while struggling with the realities of the Holocaust.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,498,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible