Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New…

Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New Worlds, and the Dawn of the…

by Jim Blascovich

Like a primer about virtual reality for people who've had their head in a virtual bucket for the last twenty five years. ( But some useful info toward the end ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
How do people interact in virtual reality? Pretty much as they would in actual reality. There's an underlying assumption in this book that virtual reality sophisticated enough to allow people to walk around inside a virtual world, or out in the real world using some kind of avatar, with all of their senses in tact, is inevitable. This seems an incredibly difficult thing to accomplish, to me. A lot of major breakthroughs in biology, artificial intelligence, and robotics would be needed. Those breakthroughs certainly aren't inevitable, and unless someone has a sudden insight that is the metaphorical equivalent of a Darwinian Finch hitting a Newtonian apple and splashing into an Archimedean bathtub, it won't happen soon. If these advances do happen, well, it would be kind of cool, although I am concerned that individual immortality in virtual worlds could lead to our species extinction in the physical world. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
Mostly on the present and foreseeable-future state of virtual-reality technology and psychology. Though they do not project a path to true mind uploading (with consciousness preservation), the authors do imagine mortal people being indefinitely "outlived" by their highly realistic avatar simulations.
  fpagan | Jun 16, 2011 |

How do The Matrix, Avatar, and Tron reveal the future of existence? can our brains recognize where "reality" ends and "virtual" begins? What would it mean to live eternally in a digital universe? Where will technology lead us in five, fifty, and five hundred years?

Two innovative scientists explore the mystery and reality of the virtual and examine the profound potential of emerging digital technologies

Welcome to the future . . .

The coming explosion of immersive digital technology, combined with recent progress in unlocking how the mind works, will soon revolutionize our lives in ways only science fiction has imagined. In Infinite Reality, Jeremy Bailenson (Stanford University) and Jim Blascovich (University of California, Santa Barbara)—two of virtual reality's pioneering authorities whose pathbreaking research has mapped how our brain behaves in digital worlds—take us on a mind-bending journey through the virtual universe.

Infinite Reality explores what emerging computer technologies and their radical applications will mean for the future of human life and society. Along the way, Bailenson and Blascovich examine the timeless philosophical questions of the self and "reality" that arise through the digital experience; explain how virtual reality's latest and future forms—including immersive video games and social-networking sites—will soon be seamlessly integrated into our lives; show the many surprising practical applications of virtual reality, from education and medicine to sex and warfare; and probe further-off possibilities like "total personality downloads" that would allow your great-great-grandchildren to have a conversation with "you" a century or more after your death.

Equally fascinating, farsighted, and profound, Infinite Reality is an essential guide to our virtual future, where the experience of being human will be deeply transformed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:46 -0400)

Two Silicon Valley-based professors survey the field of virtual reality to explore the possibilities and potential of emerging digital technologies through which realistic human personalities and environments can be replicated.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,539,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible