The Death Cure by James Dashner

The Death Cure

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (3)

nice ending to the series. A few twists to get there but worth it. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Unfortunately, I had the same reaction to this conclusion as I did to the conclusion of Divergent - disappointed and it didn't make sense. I also got rather tired of the no of fights. I may not know much about biology but I know enough that experiences do not make someone immune - either you catch a disease, suffer it and recover or you don't get it at all. Putting immune people through trials so at the end you can cut someone open and read their brain patterns - er, no - it doesn't work like that. You might possibly put all your immune people through testing, so you can find the best of them to seed a new colony to save humanity but killing half of them off for an unlikely cure is illogical. Surely, you'd send all your immune people somewhere safe to start again!.
Reading this and Divergent has made me realise quite how good The Hunger Games was - I wasn't disappointed in the ending of that. ( )
  infjsarah | Aug 9, 2014 |
It was good. But felt incomplete.

So much was unexplained in the first book. And so much I was unsure of in the second. I didn't really feel that much was answered satisfactorily in the final book.

Spoilers!

These are just some of the many questions that were pinging in my head after putting it down. Why hadn't anyone thought to quarantine and protect some or all of the Immunes? Where did they go? Were they left instructions? So many questions regarding this- how the Immunes were just plopped in some random Paradise that I thought could no longer exist.

And what about Thomas' brain surgery? One minute, he's going under, the next he's being awoken by Chancellor Paige. I have NO idea how that went down so smoothly.

Don't even get me started on Teresa. No questions answered there. Except that she was really FOR Thomas all along, which I don't think anyone truly doubted for one second. And then you kill her off. I cannot stand it when authors do this. They create a love triangle and then think that they only way that their character can choose beyond a doubt is to either kill one off or make them do something unforgiveable (accidentally bombing your beloved's sister, anyone?). I cannot find this relatable at all. How refreshing it would be to create two characters that are meant for each other based on their own personalities and the way they fit each other. It's like the author doesn't even trust his own judgement. Argh.

Anyway, back to the questions. So Thomas never gets his memory back? We never really know if Wicked was good or not. Good intentioned or not. Mistakenly believed by Thomas to be good or not. Picture is incomplete.

What about the second group in the other maze? I mean obviously they didn't make it, but they don't even seem to have been given a second thought.

Maybe some of these questions will be answered in the prequel. But I doubt it. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
This review is also on my blog

If you haven't read the first two books in this series, The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials, there's probably not much of a reason for you to read this review, however I have left out the plot to avoid spoilers.

The Death Cure is the finale to the series and starts right up where book two leaves off. As usual I enjoy Dashner's cliffhanger chapters, as they help propel me through the book. But now having completed the main series (I will be reading the prequel soon) - I feel like the series really reads more like a set of movies than books. (Perhaps Dashner even wrote them with dreams of a movie being based off them? That seems like a cheap shot to me, but I'm sure it's happened before.) Especially in this last book, there's really nothing in the way of impactful character development and the dialogue was dull. There was still a lot of action, but due to the lack of depth in the characters, I really couldn't care less what happened to them. It seemed like Thomas had no meaningful relationships with his friends other than the fact that they've all been through a lot together - he constantly refers to certain characters as his best friends, and there were some scenes that I could tell were supposed to be emotionally moving, but I just wasn't invested anymore. I was tired of being told how important so-and-so was, or how sad a certain event was.

Even the action scenes dulled down a little - no one outside the core group had any real development so it didn't matter who was shooting at who, or if someone was being chased, beaten, captured, etc. Sadly, I just lost interest. I also think that for a book just over 300 pages, Dashner forced in too many elements. I know he was trying to conclude the series, but there were just too many new additions to the plot and considering how underdeveloped everything was, I think some of his ideas became unnecessary.

However, I still plan to read the prequel and I don't think this is a bad series - I just think Dashner could have given a bit more credit to his readers in terms of letting them figure out more on their own, rather than spelling everything out for us. Again, I also think the characters could have used some serious development, along with the dialogue. I would still recommend this series - maybe as something you take with you to a long weekend on the beach, to just breeze through. I also feel that the movie could really expand on certain ideas, or cut out some scenes that provided no real substance to the overall story. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jul 13, 2014 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

As the third Trial draws to a close, Thomas and some of his cohorts manage to escape from WICKED, their memories having been restored, only to face new dangers as WICKED claims to be trying to protect the human race from the deadly FLARE virus.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible