The Death Cure by James Dashner

The Death Cure

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (3)

English (125)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (128)
I have been waiting to read The Death Cure ever since I finished The Scorch Trials, and now, I have finally read it...yay...
For some strange reason, I liked that this book had short chapters...I was also hoping for a different ending then the one I read, but...ah well, this one was good too.
This book was good, but I think I enjoyed reading The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials more than this one. ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
A good end to the trilogy. Action packed and easy to get through. ( )
  BridgettKathryn | Sep 6, 2015 |
Decent ending. I still have some questions but I assume they'll be answered in the prequel....hopefully. I liked Thomas a bit better in this one; he was less of a know-it-all.
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
Dear James Dashner,

What the heck, man? You were rolling down the hill with The Scorch Trials, but now you've just hit rock bottom. How dare you call this the last book of the trilogy? Or even a book, for that matter? After so much waiting, hype, and excitement, we get... this... I repeat, what the heck[aroo]?

What was the point of this book? This is a serious question. But a more important question is: what was the point of ANYTHING? I mainly read this book to satisfy my thirst for answers but imagine my disappointment when I got absolutely none. None. What was the point of the variables? How do reactions toward the variables help find a cure? If I recall correctly from biology class, immunity is not based on brain activity. Neither is it determined by birth. Rather, immunity happens because of the daily functions of the body's cells and what they have been exposed to. Shouldn't WICKED have studied the immune system rather than brain responses? Seriously, a simple bio class would've helped you, Dashner.

Throughout the first two books of this astonishing(ly terrible) trilogy, you, James Dashner, kept bringing up the mystery of Thomas and Teresa's past and their involvement with WICKED. As any reader would, I was excited when they were presented the opportunity to retrieve their memories. I thought that we would finally know their past, friendship, and reasons for involvement. But noooooo, wittle Thomas decided he did not want his memories back [even though he would not shut up about his desire for memories in the first two books]. Insert eye roll here. What bothered me the most was that Thomas's reasons for not wanting his memories back were frivolous and invalid. Instead, he decided he was going to break out of the facility and go to who-knows-where to do who-knows-what. When did Thomas go from being smart and unselfish to stupid and reckless? This is not character development, Dashner!

Speaking of character development, let's talk about Teresa versus Brenda. I'm not particularly fond of love triangles, but if you're gonna write one, do it right. They were a failed excuse for a love triangle, particularly because Teresa wasn't given the chance to redeem herself and because Brenda was automatically written to seem better. I understood Thomas's anger toward Teresa. Really, I did. Yet at the same time, she did what she had to do to ensure Thomas's survival. A friend willing to do anything for your protection is a friend worth having. Brenda had faked having the Flare and being friends with Thomas because she was told to by WICKED, and yet Thomas automatically forgave and trusted her. It made no sense! How is it easier to forgive a girl you barely know, who lied the whole time she was with you, than forgiving a girl you've known your whole life and hurt you in order to save your ass? Please enlighten me, James Dashner. However, my problems toward Thomas's irrationality when it came to both girls aren't as relevant as all my other problems with this book, since Teresa and Brenda were both terrible characters to begin with. Their personalities were interchangeable. It was like reading about the same boring and paper thin character but with two different names. Your attempt to make both Teresa and Brenda relevant to the reader failed because frankly, I could've not cared less if Thomas had shot a bullet into both of their heads.

Also, who the heck is Chancellor Paige? And what was the point of Thomas having dreams about his mom when not once did she serve a purpose? James, it is not okay to introduce a character if you're not going to dedicate time and pages to actually develop that character.

Oh, and the ending. Gosh, it was horrible. While the whole world is rotting away with the Flare, Thomas just selfishly decides that the world is not worth saving but rather left in order to build a new civilization of immunes. What a coward you made Thomas out to be! I expected Thomas to not conform to the death of billions of people but rather go out and find a cure himself with the use of less inhumane methods. I expected Thomas to put on his cape and declare his determination to die trying. But once again, noooo, wittle Thomas decides to play Daddy with Mommy Brenda and rebuild civilization.

I'm gravely disappointed.

With (not much) love,
Sara. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Maybe this book is supposed to appeal to teens whose first instinct is to defy authority even when it doesn't make sense to. The first two books in the series were entertaining, though not very well written. This one was too frustrating to be entertaining. No one does anything that makes any sense - not the main character, not the "good guys," not the "bad guys" (parentheses used because everyone's motivations are very vague and mushy). The main character flies around making decisions based on vague feelings rather than anything presented in the plot. The deus ex machina never even shows her face to the audience, she just leaves a letter with the solution in it for the main character to find, and this solution (in keeping with the theme of the book) makes no sense at all and completely renders everything that came before it pointless.

The main character also calls about four different people his "best friend" throughout this book, suggesting that the author is not worrying too much about definitions of words.

James Dashner and Veronica Roth need to start a support group for YA authors who totally tank the third book of their popular dystopian trilogies. Are they being rushed by their publishers? Getting drunk on their success and paying less attention to what they write? I don't even know, but maybe they can put their heads together and figure out how to avoid it the next time around. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Jul 12, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad. Not being alone for over three weeks. Not the white walls, ceiling and floor.

As the third Trial draws to a close, Thomas and some of his cohorts manage to escape from WICKED, their memories having been restored, only to face new dangers as WICKED claims to be trying to protect the human race from the deadly FLARE virus.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,849,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible