The Death Cure by James Dashner

The Death Cure

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (3)

The Death Cure... the end to a series that I really enjoyed. And I did enjoy this book, although I am still not sure how I feel about the conclusion!!

I have mixed feelings, but I have to wonder if perhaps that is exactly how the author meant us to feel. These books are surrounded with mystery, the kind of mystery that makes you question the powers that be and their authority and control over your life. That's the bigger message. So the series was written in such a way to constantly foster that mystery and I think that too many neat answers might have eliminated that feeling and lessened them overall messages and themes.

Part of the mystery is rooted in the fact that no one, including the reader, ever seems to know exactly who they can and can't trust. There are moments that it is even hard to tell what is real and what isn't. These things keep the story interesting, and keep the reader from being able to guess what is going to happen next.

The presence of WICKED throughout the series is the source of all mystery. The methods that they use and the things that they do in the name of the greater good are often incomprehensible and horrendous. Their involvement was so mysterious and so convoluted that it just amped up the misdirection and made the answers impossible to guess, which I loved.

The ending was satisfying, but I think I expected something different, something more epically conclusive. By the end, the characters, and the reader, are exhausted and full of conflicting emotions. Their stories have been confusing and twisted and the ending leaves them with a sense of hope. And that is something that they have not had for a very long time.

My Recommendation: I am sad to see this series end, although I am happy that The Kill Order begins a prequel trilogy. I loved the premise of this story and found it engrossing and unique. ( )
  Kiki870 | May 5, 2015 |
I was only going to give it three stars but changed my mind at the end. All in all, I really like the series. I like how it ended. There were some things I was a little bugged about in this book in particular, like that they never had Thomas get back his memories. I really thought that had potential to be good. I kept waiting for it to happen and was very disappointed when it didn't--even if he did get a few memories. But still. Enough curiosity was there that it would have been very interesting to include that. There were also some parts I thought either repetitive or tedious. But it's a great story. Probably may favorite part was when he killed Newt. That was maybe the strongest part of the whole book. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Loved it, this book is a great finale to a great series and I felt that it was the climax to book 2. The Trials are over. WICKED have collected all the information they are keeping silent that the results show no conclusive outcomes to develop a vaccine that will ultimately save the human race from the flare (introduced in book 2) . The flare is a virus (dropped into the world by WICKED as a way to control over population) that infects humans, slowly turning them into raging scab infested zombies that attack and eat anything that moves. Not all people are susceptible to the flare, Thomas, Minho, Brenda & Jorge find out that they are Munies , they will never get the flare.
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted. But WICKED say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission, to save the human race. WICKED propose to use Thomas as a leader to persuade other Gladers, as throughout the trials he has always shown to have the best resilience to the variables that have been thrown in. Saying that he has the power to save the human race, it's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test. Wicked are hoping to restore all previous memories and reset them so that they can begin the Trials all over again.
What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think and he knows that before the trials began the world was in turmoil, he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says and yet he has continual flashbacks ‘WICKED is Good’.
With the Gladers divided, as well as WICKED who now has division amongst the ranks, can both groups achieve their objective; Gladers to escape another set of trials that will be doomed to fail and WICKED to save the human race, to right the wrong of the past. WICKED leaders ‘Ratman’ Janson is hell bent on setting up a new set of trials while Chancellor Paige is not so sure that finding a vaccine is the way to go. Both want to save the human race so therefore WICKED is good????? Can they all make it? Not all do, but it all ends with a small group (Munies) being able to resettle and begin the human race all over again, thanks somewhat to Chancellor Paige , WICKED is Good, the human race has been saved. ( )
  rata | Apr 14, 2015 |
Oh wow! What a great book! I just want to read the series all over again. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
A slow and unevenly-paced story, the third part of the Maze Runner series does not hold up to the previous two. Although exciting and emotional at times, the gaps in between are too much.
This book would only ever be used in a classroom because it is a part of a series that young adults love. It is not controversial or informative but reading this book is better than not reading at all. ( )
  LFerda | Mar 11, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my mom--
the best human to ever live.
It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad. Not being alone for over three weeks. Not the white walls, ceiling and floor.

As the third Trial draws to a close, Thomas and some of his cohorts manage to escape from WICKED, their memories having been restored, only to face new dangers as WICKED claims to be trying to protect the human race from the deadly FLARE virus.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,294,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible