The Death Cure by James Dashner

The Death Cure

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (3)

This review is also on my blog

If you haven't read the first two books in this series, The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials, there's probably not much of a reason for you to read this review, however I have left out the plot to avoid spoilers.

The Death Cure is the finale to the series and starts right up where book two leaves off. As usual I enjoy Dashner's cliffhanger chapters, as they help propel me through the book. But now having completed the main series (I will be reading the prequel soon) - I feel like the series really reads more like a set of movies than books. (Perhaps Dashner even wrote them with dreams of a movie being based off them? That seems like a cheap shot to me, but I'm sure it's happened before.) Especially in this last book, there's really nothing in the way of impactful character development and the dialogue was dull. There was still a lot of action, but due to the lack of depth in the characters, I really couldn't care less what happened to them. It seemed like Thomas had no meaningful relationships with his friends other than the fact that they've all been through a lot together - he constantly refers to certain characters as his best friends, and there were some scenes that I could tell were supposed to be emotionally moving, but I just wasn't invested anymore. I was tired of being told how important so-and-so was, or how sad a certain event was.

Even the action scenes dulled down a little - no one outside the core group had any real development so it didn't matter who was shooting at who, or if someone was being chased, beaten, captured, etc. Sadly, I just lost interest. I also think that for a book just over 300 pages, Dashner forced in too many elements. I know he was trying to conclude the series, but there were just too many new additions to the plot and considering how underdeveloped everything was, I think some of his ideas became unnecessary.

However, I still plan to read the prequel and I don't think this is a bad series - I just think Dashner could have given a bit more credit to his readers in terms of letting them figure out more on their own, rather than spelling everything out for us. Again, I also think the characters could have used some serious development, along with the dialogue. I would still recommend this series - maybe as something you take with you to a long weekend on the beach, to just breeze through. I also feel that the movie could really expand on certain ideas, or cut out some scenes that provided no real substance to the overall story. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jul 13, 2014 |
Sigh. Honestly, just disappointing. So many unanswered questions. So many actions and plot twists that just didn't make sense. Characters that you don't really care about. A really great idea for a series, but the author was too obsessed with writing action scenes to even make sure that the plot fit together. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Whoa what an awesome book The Death Cure was for me. I now this book is not for everybody but I really did loved and enjoyed The Death Cure that I don't now where to start off in this review.

The Death Cure starts off exactly where The Scorched Trails left off. Thomas has been locked up in a white room with no windows, no clocks and no shower so he was stuck being dirty for almost three weeks there's was only a bed and a wooden desk with no chairs so he was stuck just sitting on the bed or on the floor. Thomas just exercise and waited waited and waited to see if anybody would come through the door and the more he waited the more he thought what Wicked put him and his friends through. The more he thought about that the more angerier he got about them his emotion were all over the place when he was locked up in that white room when the rat man come through the door and told Thomas the trails is finally over and he will now know the whole truth finally. This is where I am going to leave it off at lets just say The Death Cure had me on the tip of my toes while reading this amazing book whoa it was a huge thrilling ride for me I just love it! I am so glad and happy that I went into this trilogy blindly it was such an amazing read for me that I would totally read a book series blindly for now on! Until Next Time My Friends ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Jun 25, 2014 |
Overall I was pretty disappointed with this series. I will try not to spoil anything for future readers but this book left me frustrated with the entire series and the author. What was the point of dragging this story out into 3 books when you essentially erased everything that mattered in about 10 pages?!?!

I might need some more time to mull this book/story/series over before I can make a real solid, well written review, but my kneejerk reaction is that I generally dislike it as a whole. ( )
  katemiller1724 | Jun 23, 2014 |
Originally posted at Read. Run. Study.

I had mixed feelings about The Death Cure as a the final book in the trilogy. I liked the book overall – it was packed with action and maintained the same quick pace of the first two books. It drew me in and I felt like I needed to know what happened next, but it could have been better.

I liked that Dashner finally revealed more about the state of the world and answered many of the questions that burned in my mind. However, he left a lot of questions unanswered. I’m not sure if he intended for the reader to fill in the gaps or if he just hoped the reader wouldn’t notice. Some of the issues (Thomas’s “specialness” and weak characterization) were similar to issues I had with the previous two books, but there were some new issues as well. There were several points where the characters’ actions or plot development just didn’t work for me. However, the ultimate resolution surprised me and worked well enough to bring the book up to 3.5 stars.

Having said all that, I’m glad I read the trilogy because I did enjoy it and it was definitely an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I think this was a case where the idea was better than the execution. Because of that, I’m not planning to read the prequel (The Kill Older) unless someone tells me it is worthwhile.

Rating: 3.5/5 ( )
  readrunstudy | Jun 21, 2014 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

As the third Trial draws to a close, Thomas and some of his cohorts manage to escape from WICKED, their memories having been restored, only to face new dangers as WICKED claims to be trying to protect the human race from the deadly FLARE virus.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible