The Death Cure by James Dashner

The Death Cure

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (3)

Recently added bySarahnb16, natzlovesyou, MABoone, Tigerlily12, osage07, neilharvey, LauraJE, Tokipelto, private library
2011 (8) 2012 (13) 2013 (15) action (11) adventure (26) Book 3 (8) disease (6) dystopia (61) dystopian (46) ebook (22) experiments (6) fantasy (18) fiction (64) james dashner (10) library (7) Maze Runner (23) mystery (8) plague (8) post-apocalyptic (28) read (8) science fiction (93) series (25) survival (36) teen (26) to-read (61) trilogy (11) YA (56) young adult (58) young adult fiction (13) zombies (6)

Sigh. Honestly, just disappointing. So many unanswered questions. So many actions and plot twists that just didn't make sense. Characters that you don't really care about. A really great idea for a series, but the author was too obsessed with writing action scenes to even make sure that the plot fit together. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Whoa what an awesome book The Death Cure was for me. I now this book is not for everybody but I really did loved and enjoyed The Death Cure that I don't now where to start off in this review.

The Death Cure starts off exactly where The Scorched Trails left off. Thomas has been locked up in a white room with no windows, no clocks and no shower so he was stuck being dirty for almost three weeks there's was only a bed and a wooden desk with no chairs so he was stuck just sitting on the bed or on the floor. Thomas just exercise and waited waited and waited to see if anybody would come through the door and the more he waited the more he thought what Wicked put him and his friends through. The more he thought about that the more angerier he got about them his emotion were all over the place when he was locked up in that white room when the rat man come through the door and told Thomas the trails is finally over and he will now know the whole truth finally. This is where I am going to leave it off at lets just say The Death Cure had me on the tip of my toes while reading this amazing book whoa it was a huge thrilling ride for me I just love it! I am so glad and happy that I went into this trilogy blindly it was such an amazing read for me that I would totally read a book series blindly for now on! Until Next Time My Friends ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Jun 25, 2014 |
Overall I was pretty disappointed with this series. I will try not to spoil anything for future readers but this book left me frustrated with the entire series and the author. What was the point of dragging this story out into 3 books when you essentially erased everything that mattered in about 10 pages?!?!

I might need some more time to mull this book/story/series over before I can make a real solid, well written review, but my kneejerk reaction is that I generally dislike it as a whole. ( )
  katemiller1724 | Jun 23, 2014 |
Originally posted at Read. Run. Study.

I had mixed feelings about The Death Cure as a the final book in the trilogy. I liked the book overall – it was packed with action and maintained the same quick pace of the first two books. It drew me in and I felt like I needed to know what happened next, but it could have been better.

I liked that Dashner finally revealed more about the state of the world and answered many of the questions that burned in my mind. However, he left a lot of questions unanswered. I’m not sure if he intended for the reader to fill in the gaps or if he just hoped the reader wouldn’t notice. Some of the issues (Thomas’s “specialness” and weak characterization) were similar to issues I had with the previous two books, but there were some new issues as well. There were several points where the characters’ actions or plot development just didn’t work for me. However, the ultimate resolution surprised me and worked well enough to bring the book up to 3.5 stars.

Having said all that, I’m glad I read the trilogy because I did enjoy it and it was definitely an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I think this was a case where the idea was better than the execution. Because of that, I’m not planning to read the prequel (The Kill Older) unless someone tells me it is worthwhile.

Rating: 3.5/5 ( )
  readrunstudy | Jun 21, 2014 |
It seems that third books in trilogies always tend to let the reader down. Rarely are subsequent books as good as the first. I finished the second book in this series and wasn't sure how I felt about it. I find that I have a similar feeling with this last installment. Lots of reviewers have been harsh with this one. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I felt like many of the unanswered questions I had in the first two books were answered (more or less) in this one. So that was good. But I tended to be a little more critical of the writing in this one. I don't think it was any worse than the previous two, but once you're into the third book, you do kind of get tired of reading the word "shuck" over and over.

As far as storyline, I was okay with the development & ultimate ending. As a young adult trilogy, it was satisfying with its action and adventure. As an adult reading this trilogy, the writing was not up to caliber when compared to other better-written young adult trilogies or series books. However, the overall storyline was unique enough to make this a fairly enjoyable series for me. ( )
1 vote indygo88 | May 29, 2014 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

As the third Trial draws to a close, Thomas and some of his cohorts manage to escape from WICKED, their memories having been restored, only to face new dangers as WICKED claims to be trying to protect the human race from the deadly FLARE virus.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible