The Death Cure by James Dashner

The Death Cure

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (3)

English (122)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (124)
Dear James Dashner,

What the heck, man? You were rolling down the hill with The Scorch Trials, but now you've just hit rock bottom. How dare you call this the last book of the trilogy? Or even a book, for that matter? After so much waiting, hype, and excitement, we get... this... I repeat, what the heck[aroo]?

What was the point of this book? This is a serious question. But a more important question is: what was the point of ANYTHING? I mainly read this book to satisfy my thirst for answers but imagine my disappointment when I got absolutely none. None. What was the point of the variables? How do reactions toward the variables help find a cure? If I recall correctly from biology class, immunity is not based on brain activity. Neither is it determined by birth. Rather, immunity happens because of the daily functions of the body's cells and what they have been exposed to. Shouldn't WICKED have studied the immune system rather than brain responses? Seriously, a simple bio class would've helped you, Dashner.

Throughout the first two books of this astonishing(ly terrible) trilogy, you, James Dashner, kept bringing up the mystery of Thomas and Teresa's past and their involvement with WICKED. As any reader would, I was excited when they were presented the opportunity to retrieve their memories. I thought that we would finally know their past, friendship, and reasons for involvement. But noooooo, wittle Thomas decided he did not want his memories back [even though he would not shut up about his desire for memories in the first two books]. Insert eye roll here. What bothered me the most was that Thomas's reasons for not wanting his memories back were frivolous and invalid. Instead, he decided he was going to break out of the facility and go to who-knows-where to do who-knows-what. When did Thomas go from being smart and unselfish to stupid and reckless? This is not character development, Dashner!

Speaking of character development, let's talk about Teresa versus Brenda. I'm not particularly fond of love triangles, but if you're gonna write one, do it right. They were a failed excuse for a love triangle, particularly because Teresa wasn't given the chance to redeem herself and because Brenda was automatically written to seem better. I understood Thomas's anger toward Teresa. Really, I did. Yet at the same time, she did what she had to do to ensure Thomas's survival. A friend willing to do anything for your protection is a friend worth having. Brenda had faked having the Flare and being friends with Thomas because she was told to by WICKED, and yet Thomas automatically forgave and trusted her. It made no sense! How is it easier to forgive a girl you barely know, who lied the whole time she was with you, than forgiving a girl you've known your whole life and hurt you in order to save your ass? Please enlighten me, James Dashner. However, my problems toward Thomas's irrationality when it came to both girls aren't as relevant as all my other problems with this book, since Teresa and Brenda were both terrible characters to begin with. Their personalities were interchangeable. It was like reading about the same boring and paper thin character but with two different names. Your attempt to make both Teresa and Brenda relevant to the reader failed because frankly, I could've not cared less if Thomas had shot a bullet into both of their heads.

Also, who the heck is Chancellor Paige? And what was the point of Thomas having dreams about his mom when not once did she serve a purpose? James, it is not okay to introduce a character if you're not going to dedicate time and pages to actually develop that character.

Oh, and the ending. Gosh, it was horrible. While the whole world is rotting away with the Flare, Thomas just selfishly decides that the world is not worth saving but rather left in order to build a new civilization of immunes. What a coward you made Thomas out to be! I expected Thomas to not conform to the death of billions of people but rather go out and find a cure himself with the use of less inhumane methods. I expected Thomas to put on his cape and declare his determination to die trying. But once again, noooo, wittle Thomas decides to play Daddy with Mommy Brenda and rebuild civilization.

I'm gravely disappointed.

With (not much) love,
Sara. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Maybe this book is supposed to appeal to teens whose first instinct is to defy authority even when it doesn't make sense to. The first two books in the series were entertaining, though not very well written. This one was too frustrating to be entertaining. No one does anything that makes any sense - not the main character, not the "good guys," not the "bad guys" (parentheses used because everyone's motivations are very vague and mushy). The main character flies around making decisions based on vague feelings rather than anything presented in the plot. The deus ex machina never even shows her face to the audience, she just leaves a letter with the solution in it for the main character to find, and this solution (in keeping with the theme of the book) makes no sense at all and completely renders everything that came before it pointless.

The main character also calls about four different people his "best friend" throughout this book, suggesting that the author is not worrying too much about definitions of words.

James Dashner and Veronica Roth need to start a support group for YA authors who totally tank the third book of their popular dystopian trilogies. Are they being rushed by their publishers? Getting drunk on their success and paying less attention to what they write? I don't even know, but maybe they can put their heads together and figure out how to avoid it the next time around. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Jul 12, 2015 |
Oh dear goodness…where to begin?

So let me just put it out there…I didn't absolutely hate the book. It had a lot of good things going for it, and the overall plot had a decent amount of action that would make it worthwhile to make a movie out of. Oh wait…there is a movie of the series. The first one anyway. For a young adult (or young teenager, really), then this would be a fun romp through another post-apocolyptic world where teenagers are our saviors. Sounds about right.

Characters. Thomas could, quite literally, be the poster child for making bad decisions. I mean, really. Every chapter had him dealing with a situation that could have been avoided had he made a smart decision that any sane person would make. And it was made very clear that he was one of the few sane people left on planet Earth. Each chapter was like your typical monster-of-the-week tv show of the 1990s. One situation comes up quickly, and is resolved rather quickly as well, deus-ex-machina style. I really wanted these events to have a deeper connection to the overall plot mechanics, but I guess I was just hoping for too much.

I also had a really hard time believing many of the relationships that were developed over the course of the three books…otherwise known as about a month or two. And for Thomas to label these characters as his best friends just felt…a little too over-dramatic. But then I think…oh wait, they're teenagers, and a month can seem like a long time for friends to be made and to lose them just as quickly. Fine…I'll accept that.

In terms of characterization, it felt like there were just a few characters in a very large stadium with fake audience members sitting all around. Besides our main characters getting some screen time, and some of them popping up all of a sudden (so I'm supposed to remember who Sonya was, who only appeared near the end of the third book? Orly?). But other than them, the rest of the cast was practically non-existent. I really didn't know who they were, and their overall contribution to the story.

And so many unanswered questions. I think one of the biggest gripe that I have with the three books was the use of a lack of knowledge to power the plot along. What would have been more interesting is if Thomas got his memories back right from the beginning and we dealt with the repercussions of his actions. Instead…we're just as baffled running around Denver as Thomas is. So if the other characters got their memories back, would that be utilized at all in the book? Nope…they disappear, and their real only contribution (by them, I mean Teresa only) is letting us know how to dispatch the Grievers. That's only the tip of the iceberg.

This book had a lot of potential. I think a lot of it could have been improved upon by providing more background on the world that the characters lived in, more information about the sun flares and their relationship to the Flares; the purpose of Thomas and Teresa and, really, WICKED; why WICKED was good, and so much more. I know there's a fourth book that acts as a prequel, but why force your readers to read through all this just to have an answer book at the end (if it really is an answer book). The fun is in discovering as I read along and coming across new questions (of course leaving some cool ones for the end).

Good for lovers of young adult (teenager) fiction and post-apocolyptic world with cool technology. ( )
1 vote jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
The Death Cure... the end to a series that I really enjoyed. And I did enjoy this book, although I am still not sure how I feel about the conclusion!!

I have mixed feelings, but I have to wonder if perhaps that is exactly how the author meant us to feel. These books are surrounded with mystery, the kind of mystery that makes you question the powers that be and their authority and control over your life. That's the bigger message. So the series was written in such a way to constantly foster that mystery and I think that too many neat answers might have eliminated that feeling and lessened them overall messages and themes.

Part of the mystery is rooted in the fact that no one, including the reader, ever seems to know exactly who they can and can't trust. There are moments that it is even hard to tell what is real and what isn't. These things keep the story interesting, and keep the reader from being able to guess what is going to happen next.

The presence of WICKED throughout the series is the source of all mystery. The methods that they use and the things that they do in the name of the greater good are often incomprehensible and horrendous. Their involvement was so mysterious and so convoluted that it just amped up the misdirection and made the answers impossible to guess, which I loved.

The ending was satisfying, but I think I expected something different, something more epically conclusive. By the end, the characters, and the reader, are exhausted and full of conflicting emotions. Their stories have been confusing and twisted and the ending leaves them with a sense of hope. And that is something that they have not had for a very long time.

My Recommendation: I am sad to see this series end, although I am happy that The Kill Order begins a prequel trilogy. I loved the premise of this story and found it engrossing and unique. ( )
  Kiki870 | May 5, 2015 |
I was only going to give it three stars but changed my mind at the end. All in all, I really like the series. I like how it ended. There were some things I was a little bugged about in this book in particular, like that they never had Thomas get back his memories. I really thought that had potential to be good. I kept waiting for it to happen and was very disappointed when it didn't--even if he did get a few memories. But still. Enough curiosity was there that it would have been very interesting to include that. There were also some parts I thought either repetitive or tedious. But it's a great story. Probably may favorite part was when he killed Newt. That was maybe the strongest part of the whole book. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad. Not being alone for over three weeks. Not the white walls, ceiling and floor.

As the third Trial draws to a close, Thomas and some of his cohorts manage to escape from WICKED, their memories having been restored, only to face new dangers as WICKED claims to be trying to protect the human race from the deadly FLARE virus.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible