The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series #3) by…

The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series #3) (edition 2013)

by James Dashner

Member:ajwseven
Title:The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series #3)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:**

The Death Cure by James Dashner

"The Death Cure" is the last book in The Maze Runner trilogy. The book is like its predecessors and it's filled with nonstop action, friendship, and lies. In the last book, all the questions that Thomas haves will finally be answered. James Dashner also does an amazing job of ending his trilogy with deaths and an ending I think will not disappoint most people. ( )
  Remy_Ferrell | Oct 17, 2014 |
Usually, I find the last book in a YA trilogy to be the weakest entry. So, I was absolutely stunned to find that Dashner broke from this mold. This was an excellent conclusion to a well-developed plot. Though I knew how it would end (logic, not predictability), the book still managed to surprise me. Moreover, readers get definitive answers to lingering questions like: what was Thomas’ role in creating these trials? His motivations? What is the killzone?

As before, the story follows directly from the previous book. Thomas and the remaining “subjects” were collected from the safe haven and taken to WICKED headquarters. There, Janson (Rat Man introduced in book 2) tells them that they will now have their memories restored so they can participate in the final stage of finding the cure. Only, Thomas doesn’t want them back. He doesn’t like who he was, and doesn’t want that to change who he is now. When WICKED tries to force him, Thomas and his two best friends go on the run. When Thomas learns he is the final key to achieving a cure, will he trust WICKED, who has done nothing but lie to him? If the second book was a quest, this one was definitely more of a chase. And an exciting one at that. The environments of the previous books were carefully orchestrated. Here, readers finally see what the world is like as our heroes run and hide within it. We get the full devastating effect of the solar flares and the Flare.

The only part of this book I didn’t care for was the introduction of a singular villain in “Rat-Man.” Until he came along, WICKED was a faceless organization which actually made it scarier. Janson dilutes this by being the cliché villain who keeps showing up again and again at the end to oppose the hero. If not for him, I would have chosen this as the best of the trilogy. That said, I still greatly enjoyed The Death Cure. It was a strong conclusion to an exciting adventure story and the unraveling of an engaging mystery. Highly recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 15, 2014 |
Another gripping installment! Read it in one day. I was rather unhappy about certain aspects of the ending, for I felt that there were some loose ends that weren't tied up, at least to my satisfaction. ( )
  silva_44 | Oct 15, 2014 |
Soooooooooooo gooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone should read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( )
  mallon | Oct 5, 2014 |
The third book in the Maze Trilogy is even more exciting than the other two, if that's even possible. Thomas, Minho, Brenda and Jorge have escaped Wicked and have joined a group who is as determined as they are to make sure Wicked does not do any more harm. However, they can't foresee the breakout of Cranks, as well as Wicked's determination to make sure Thomas - their "Final Candidate" returns to complete the trials. And they won't take "no" for an answer. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad. Not being alone for over three weeks. Not the white walls, ceiling and floor.

As the third Trial draws to a close, Thomas and some of his cohorts manage to escape from WICKED, their memories having been restored, only to face new dangers as WICKED claims to be trying to protect the human race from the deadly FLARE virus.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,304,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible