The Burning Soul by John Connolly

The Burning Soul (edition 2012)

by John Connolly

Member:jonMcpherson
Title:The Burning Soul
Authors:John Connolly
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2012), Paperback
Rating:***

The Burning Soul by John Connolly

English (13)  Spanish (3)  All languages (16)
I was lamenting to a friend on Friday how annoyed I was coming into the long weekend knowing that the new John Connolly book wouldn’t be out until Tuesday. It annoyed me that it was given two separate release dates, one for Australia, England and Ireland (September 1st) and another for North America (September 6th). I wanted it now! I definitely wanted to take advantage of all this free time I expected to have this weekend. So you can imagine my surprise and glee when I walked into the local bookstore on Friday night and saw it sitting on the shelf for sale.

As I’ve said before, Connolly’s Parker was the character that sucked me into mystery/detective fiction in the first place. After I had read [b:Every Dead Thing|175242|Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1)|John Connolly|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172432902s/175242.jpg|890720] about two and a half years ago, I knew this was going to become my genre of choice. When I had read that this novel closely resembled [b:The Unquiet|175247|The Unquiet (Charlie Parker, #6)|John Connolly|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266489058s/175247.jpg|3238289], I was a little nervous. It was by far, the book I had been most disappointed in. I opened that review stating I was getting “burned out” on the character! If not for the books that succeeded that entry, I may not have stayed with the series.

That being said, after I put this book down this evening – I was very pleased with what I had read. No, it’s not the best Parker book (that honor still belongs to [b:The Reapers|2515832|The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)|John Connolly|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51flREuCuoL._SL75_.jpg|2425284], in my opinion) but it was still a great entry into the series. Parker himself doesn’t progress within this novel as Connolly concentrated mainly on the case and less on Charlie’s personal life, which is a little refreshing. Also, Louis and Angel, while used in small doses, are pretty entertaining. While I could always use more of them, it should be about quality, not quantity as that old saying goes. Parker is still dealing with his personal demons as well as the existence of spirits that revolve around his life but it’s far less central. I’m all for this but I’m thinking that perhaps Connolly is preparing something major for the next one. Here’s hoping!

As much as I liked this book, I really can’t give it anything above 4 stars as that would be putting it in the same league as [b:The Reapers|2515832|The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)|John Connolly|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51flREuCuoL._SL75_.jpg|2425284] – which it most certainly is not. However, don’t let that take anything away from the overall quality of this novel. I very much missed Parker and I’m happy to have had a new book to sink my teeth into. Connolly is my favorite author working today and I can’t wait for the next one! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Review to follow
  jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
Charlie Parker is hired by a man whose past includes murdering a girl when he was himself a juvenile. When a teenaged girl who lives in the same town as Parker's client disappears, the detective can't help but wonder if he's on the wrong side in this case. ( )
  roltgunner | May 8, 2012 |
John Connolly is huge favorite of mine. His Charlie Parker series is must-read both for its writing and for Connolly's wonderful, dark, Irish storytelling skills.

The Burning Soul is the latest in the series and it's a good one, although maybe not a great one. I still want more Louis and Angel and I want more of the tone that pervades my favorite of the series (and the first one that I read) Dark Hollow. Good John Connolly is always better than 99.9% of what you'll read so I'm not damning with faint praise.

Set in the deep, dark, and mysterious parts of Maine, Charlie Parker and his cohorts are drawn into a mystery surrounding the disappearance of a young girl and the scrutiny this brings to Randall Haight, a citizen of a small town living in quiet anonymity. Mr. Haight has a big secret and it's coming back to bite him and everyone around him.

Charlie becomes obsessed with finding the girl and doing right by another girl who was raped and murdered long ago and who seems to be haunting him along with the spirit of his dead daughter. There's plenty of mystery and atmosphere to go around, but the sense of urgency is just slightly off and things are just slightly more predictable than I expect of Mr. Connolly. ( )
  kraaivrouw | Mar 4, 2012 |
It’s almost impossible to review anything by Irish genius John Connolly without descending into hyperbole because the man is utterly brilliant. Having said that, let’s turn to his latest book, the 10th in the Charlie Parker series..

Randall Haight kidnapped and killed a young girl many years ago: after being released from prison he became a semi-recluse, living in the Maine village of Pastor’s Bay. Now, years later, he receives a series of anonymous letters – someone knows his secret – and then a young girl is abducted…

Charlie Parker is called in to investigate, bringing with him some of the old favourites like the gay pair Louis and Angel, and the frighteningly funny Fulci brothers. Mysterious, melancholy yet thrilling and delightfully witty, Burning Soul is typical Connolly, i.e. excellent ( )
  adpaton | Feb 1, 2012 |
For Joe Long, secret agent
Gray sea, gray sky, but fire in the woods and the trees aflame.

Randall Haight has a secret: when he was a teenager, he and his friend killed a 14-year-old girl. Randall did his time and built a new life in the small Maine town of Pastor's Bay, but somebody has discovered the truth about Randall. He is being tormented by anonymous messages, haunting reminders of his past crime, and he wants private detective Charlie Parker to make it stop. But another 14-year-old girl has gone missing, this time from Pastor's Bay, and the missing girl's family has its own secrets to protect. Now Parker must unravel a web of deceit involving the police, the FBI, a doomed mobster named Tommy Morris, and Randall Haight himself. Because Randall Haight is telling lies ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:34 -0400)

"Randall Haight has a secret: He is a convicted murderer, a man with the blood of a young girl on his hands. He has built a new life for himself in the small Maine town of Pastor's Bay, but someone has discovered the truth about him. He is being tormented by anonymously sent reminders of his crime. He wants private detective Charlie Parker to make them go away. But another girl has gone missing, this time from Pastor's Bay itself, and her family has its own secrets to protect. Now, in a town built on blood and shadowed by old ghosts, Parker must unravel a twisted history of violence and deceit involving the police and the FBI, a doomed mobster and his enemies, and Randall Haight himself. Because Randall is telling lies. . . . "--Publisher's description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,621,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible