12.21.12 by Killian McRae

12.21.12 (2010)

by Killian McRae

Sorry, nearly two thirds of the way through the book and the development of succubus into the story, despite his being from another planet, was just too much for me. My interest drained rapidly despite being by a lovely pool and enjoying superb weather as the undoubtedly creative side of the author came to the fore. The book started off so promisingly, but began to lose its way, to such an extent that I didn't want to carry on. My apologies to the author, but sadly you lost me. If there is to be a trilogy, I hope it develops more promisingly than this. ( )
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
12.21.12 was a very interesting read. I enjoyed the action and the twist on an older story. It was very well written. It was a change that I have been reading. Even though I read it long after the time it was written for, it was still riveting and suspenseful. ( )
  ladyofunicorns | Dec 25, 2015 |
I’m glad I checked out 12.21.12. It was a great change of pace from what I’ve been reading and put a nice twist on a doomsday myth popular in today’s culture, even after the passing of the December 21st date.

Even though I read this book after the prophesied “end of the world” date, I still felt the suspense and thrill held within the story. I’m always a fan of a fast-paced book filled with action and peril. That’s what 12.21.12 gave me. It also had some great characters in there to help the story along.

Along with the story itself was a twist on the way one can look at the mythology of various world cultures and in the same sense, ancient religions…or religion in general. This is something of great interest to me, and seeing it in a book, while I can’t get too into detail due to spoilers, made it that much more of a better read for me.

If you’re looking for a fast read, with an end-of-the-world premise, maybe 12.21.12 is a book you’d like to check out. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |
This book is truly unique and I have never read anything like it before. The author brings together the various theories that are present throughout the history of mankind on how mankind will be destroyed or saved on the 12.21.12. The plot of this novel was addictive and I found myself unable to put it down.

McRae has certainly done her research and is able to combine reality and fiction to create a world that I could hardly believe didn’t exist.

There is a lot of characters that the reader meets throughout this novel and not all of them are what they first appear to be. The characters really draw the reader into

Overall this was a excellent read, I am a great fan of novels with historical content and this novel did not disappoint. I highly recommend this novel to everyone. I look forward to future work from Killian McRae.

This review was first published on http://everybookhasasoul.wordpress.com ( )
  everybookhasasoul | Feb 28, 2012 |
12.21.12 is an interesting spin on the ever popular theory that humanity will end on 12.21.12, the last day of Mayan calendar. The author takes this theory and spins a very intriguing mythology, which happened to be my favorite part of the book. The archaeology and history was also quite fascinating, as were the flashbacks in time. The author takes some of history’s most interesting characters/events – Cleopatra, Adam and Eve, Mount Vesuvius’ explosion – and twists the tales to fit into her fantastical mythology. Quite a creative imagination. The characters were interesting, as well, and we get insight into all of their heads via the switching POVs. We have an Egyptologist, a Russian mobster, a pantheon of gods, and the list continues.

While I found all of the above great, I just didn’t find the actual plot very exciting. While the twists and conspiracies made the story interesting, I wasn’t that engaged in the story. I can’t quite put my finger on it, however, I am glad I read it because the mythology was very interesting! If you enjoy mystery, mythology, conspiracies, or unexplained phenomena, then this books is for you ( )
  SmashAttack | Apr 15, 2011 |
To Mary Ellen, who serves as a model of how much one person, when acting with compassion, determination, and faith, can benefit the lives of many.
The damned sand got everywhere.

Archaeologist Sheppard Smyth has staked his career on proving his theory that Cleopatra VII, the last sovereign pharaoh of Egypt, was a victim of a well-concealed murder. When a statue of the doomed Queen is unearthed from a pre-Columbian site in Mexico, Shep rushes to investigate and finds himself thrust into a heated rivalry between antiquities thief Victoria Kent and Russian mafioso Dmitri Kronastia, on a quest cloaked in Mayan prophecy.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Killian McRae's book 12.21.12 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Killian McRae is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,230,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible