A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls

by Patrick Ness

Other authors: Siobhan Dowd (Author), Jim Kay (Illustrator)

1,6551964,354 (4.41)235

English (192)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (196)
Superb book by one of my favorite authors (wrote the Chaos Walking Trilogy: The Knife of Never Letting Go, etc.). Superb, short book, with wonderful illustrations. Very sad story of Conor, whose mother is dying. His father has a new family in America (he's in England). He's bullied at school, and a yew tree in his back yard transforms into a monster who tells him stories to help him heal. Brilliant story, wonderful book ( )
  DavidO1103 | Aug 30, 2015 |
A Monster Calls- Patrick Ness

First off, when reading ‘A Monster Calls’, it will be completely different from what you would expect from the illustration on the front cover. The story revolves around a 13-year-old boy who is currently bombarded with many personal problems. He suffers from the normal high school problems such as bullying, but Conor’s biggest problem is his mum, who is the only person that Conor lives with. She is fighting the cancer within her with many treatments, however the treatments grow to be ineffective and her condition continues to worsen. But soon a monster, who is a yew tree near his home, appears into his life and claims that Conor called him for a particular reason. The monster offers to help Conor by telling him three short life lesson tales. However in return, Conor is to tell his own story to the monster, which would be the story of the truth.

This book is a very emotional and inspiring that has the power to help people cope with current or future family tragedies. It speaks about the fear of letting go someone dear to you and speaking the truth of death. An aspect of ‘A Monster Calls’ that was interesting for me were the illustrations drawn by Jim Kay. Each of the drawings shows a truly expressive and wonderful story, especially the drawings about Conor and the monster.

Although this is the first book I’ve read of Patrick Ness, I can still conclude that all Patrick Ness’ books, especially this book, are an excellent read anytime. I would recommend this novel for all teenage boys and girls to read this book and to anyone who could be facing a particular family tragedy. Without a doubt, I would rate this book five stars. ( )
  randomdaniel15 | Jul 22, 2015 |
god. I absolutely love love LOVE this book! It was both heartrending and horribly beautiful. I've always wanted to read his Chaos Walking trilogy first but this caught my eye and I thought it'd be a good start to see if I like his writing. After reading this, I'm in no doubt going to buy them the next time I visit a book store! ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
a beautifully illustrated story about what happens when one confronts the fear of letting go and the fear of telling the truth about death. tried to do the audio book earlier this year but glad I picked up the book instead, as the illustrations make it a completely different experience. ( )
  weeta | Jul 5, 2015 |
Short Review:

I haven't read anything by Patrick Ness before, but i've heard great things so i figured i would pick this shorter read up before tackling the Chaos Walking series.

This book seems to be more geared towards young teens thou. I felt a little too old to be reading it.

I felt for the MC, his mom is dying of cancer and he has the worst time accepting it. A very thought provoking book.

Overall, a well written book, and makes me eager to get to Ness' other books! ( )
  booklife4life | Jul 3, 2015 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
I never got to meet Siobhan Dowd. (Author's Note)
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

The monster tells tales
That don't behave and Conor
Accepts a hard truth.
(passion4reading)

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,122,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible