A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls

by Patrick Ness

Other authors: Siobhan Dowd (Author), Jim Kay (Illustrator)

English (174)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (178)
This is the perfect example of how too much hype can ruin a nice book. I read it with really, really high expectations and it ended up not fulfilling them. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book as much as I could. It's an easy, fast-paced reading and a sad story. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
A wonderful story about dealing with life - and death - and learning to be ok with it. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I thought I had cried at a book before. I thought I knew what that experience was. I did not, until now. This book literally left me sobbing, needing many tissues, heart torn out and splayed across my bed pillows. It is beautiful. It is near perfection. It is terrifying only in its incredible grasp of the individual truths we all carry within us, especially in moments of grief. I found this book on accident when scanning my library's ebook selection and I am very sad that there wasn't a person who suggested it to me. If a friend had handed me this book I could thank that friend and share in our common experience of having this book tear our hearts out of our chests. But because I found this the way I did I am alone in the experience of it, so far. Alone in recognizing where my own monster lives. Alone in my own grief. Perhaps that is because I need to be alone in this one for awhile. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Conor O'Malley is a 13-year-old boy with a lot of weight on his shoulders. His mom is terribly ill and always very tired, so he basically takes care of himself. It's tough though, he is haunted by a terrible nightmare every night, and daylight brings little more than a sense of impending doom. Things are so bad that when one night a yew tree comes to life and threatens him with a dark and menacing voice, he isn't afraid in the slightest. It's just a dream after all, and he's been dealing with scarier things anyway. But when he wakes up and finds his floor strewn with yew tree leaves, he begins to question what is real and what isn't, which is just another thing he has to worry about.

A Monster Calls doesn't hide the fact that it's going to be heartbreaking in the end. It makes it pretty clear from the beginning that it will rip your heart out and gleefully stomp on it before your eyes. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I dove in with reckless abandon, and certainly wasn't disappointed. I loved it. Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the author is an evil nefarious monster himself, but it's a beautifully written story teeming with emotion, and I can appreciate that.

Let's hope my next read is happier, though. ( )
2 vote Ape | Aug 2, 2014 |
Conor O'Malley is 13. His parents are divorced. He lives in England with his "mum". Dad lives in America with his new wife & family. Conor gets bullied by Harry, Anton, & Sully at school. Lily is his friend, they've known each other for years. Conor's mum has cancer and has been going through treatments. Her mom (Conor's grandma) is not your typical sweet, gentle grandma. She is very driven and demanding. Sounds bad but the worst part is Conor's nightmare. Every night he has the same nightmare at 12:07. The yew tree in the back yard comes to life. It turns into a monster and talks to Conor. It tries to help him claiming Conor "called" him. It tells Conor three stories to share life lessons. In exchange, Conor must tell it his story, his greatest fear and the truth. Quick moving and an easy read, how will Conor face the bullies, handle mum's failing health, and his monstrous nightmares. Read to find out! ( )
  alsparks324 | Jul 11, 2014 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,312,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible