A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls

by Patrick Ness

Other authors: Siobhan Dowd (Author), Jim Kay (Illustrator)

English (183)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (187)
It started with a dream, or rather a nightmare. And then, the monster came to visit. Each time he came, Conor doubted whether he was real or not, but each morning he would find evidence that it wasn't all just in his imagination. The monster does not scare Conor because there are bigger and more frightening demons he is fighting. To his surprise this monster will share with him three stories and in return, Conor must share one truth of his own. This one truth will be demand every ounce of courage and strength that Conor has to muster.

I was forewarned that I would need a tissue or two after finishing this book. People were right. A story about a boy coming to terms with loss, with grief, with guilt, and with letting go is doubly powerful with the compliments of raw, dark, and visceral illustrations. This is a must read for anyone and I would echo the advice given to me - be ready to whip out those tissues. ( )
  jolerie | Dec 16, 2014 |
Patrick Nessin A Monster Calls on koskettava tarina 13-vuotiaasta Conor nimisestä pojasta, jonka äiti sairastaa syöpää. Kun painajasia näkevä poika tapaa hirviön ikkunansa luona, alkaa sydäntä särkevä kasvutarina. Conor ja hirviö tekevät sopimuksen neljästä tarinasta. Kun hirviö on kertonut kolme, on Conorin aika kertoa omansa. Hirviön kertomien tarinoiden avulla maailma avautuu Conorille. Kaikki ei olekaan mustavalkoista. Uskaltaako Conor kohdata painajaisensa ja kertoa viimeisen tarinan?

Nessin selkeä ja kaunis tyyli kirjoittaa pääsee oikeuksiinsa tässä kirjassa. Mustanpuhuva särmikäs Jim Kayn kuvitus sopii kirjaan kuin nenä päähän. A Monster Calls on kokonaisuudessaan loistava teos. ( )
  RiaZero | Dec 12, 2014 |
Think you know what the monster is? Think again...

Synopsis:

“The monster showed up at midnight. As they do. But it wasn't the monster Conor was expecting. He’d been expecting the one from his nightmare. The one he’d had every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming….”

The monster visits Conor, an ancient, wild monster that comes in the form of a yew tree. He says that Conor called him here. Each night he tells Conor a story, and after the third story, Conor will tell him the truth, the truth Conor does not want to face up to…

Review:

This book is very beautiful and moving, and I definitely had to stop for some tissues towards the end! The concept was created by Siobhan Dowd, the young adult author who sadly passed away from cancer. Patrick Ness takes up the mantle, in hope to write a book Siobhan would be proud of. It’s very sad, sweet story about a boy dealing with a really difficult thing. Anyone who has ever had to go through something similar will find the story especially moving. I myself have recently gone through the passing of a loved one and that had a big effect on how much the story touched me. The writing is very poetic and lyrical and it really shows the depths of human grief, how much it can affect you and change you as a person.

A Monster Calls is a book that is somewhat difficult to review, it deals with a subject which is very sensitive, in a very frank and realistic way. It deals with grief and loss and the hardships of losing someone you really care about. It is a truly wonderful book. That being said it definitely wasn't what I expected. Hearing the name A Monster Calls and seeing the eerie dark cover, I was somewhat surprised as to the contents of the story, but it absolutely blew me away.

One thing I would suggest is that if you decide to read this book, don’t go for a kindle edition - but a physical copy of the book, the illustrations are gorgeous, they’re so beautiful and fit the tone of the book so well, reading it on an e-reader would completely diminish the experience. It is not the most easy of reads, at times it is heart breaking and painful, but it is without a doubt worth your time to read.

It is hard to say much more about A Monster Calls, other than that it is truly wonderful and if you've ever dealt with grief or loss in any capacity, buy this book now.. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Nov 9, 2014 |
This book. There will never be enough words. My heart aches. So much.

This is a book that you will have to read for yourself.
I cannot tell you what it is about. I will do no justice in trying to summarize Conor's story.
Nor the Monster's story.
I do not trust my words. I will fail.

You will feel things. Many emotions. You will need something to wipe your tears away...
And when you are done reading, you may need someone close by to hug. To hold you.

As a mother of three boys, this is one of my biggest nightmares. I don't know if this book would have affected me so severely had I read it before having children...

There are a handful of books that have touched me. That I carry within my heart.
There is only one other book that I cannot speak about; one that I instantly cry over every time I think about it... this book has now joined that one.
But this book... will probably be the only one, that will forever live inside my soul.

Mr. Patrick Ness... thank you. ( )
  thebumblegirl | Oct 25, 2014 |
A Monster Calls is one of those rare young adult novels that accurately and effortlessly portrays adolescent emotional states with the same intensity and understanding that translates well from adult comprehension to adolescent endurance. Paired with powerful and dark imagery, Ness's narrative takes readers through the difficult but necessary journey of the grieving process in guise of a young boy's struggle to understand the inevitable loss of his mother, the turbulent angst and sadness he withholds, and how passive and unpredictable the world can be during the course of the Monster's three tales. These cleverly crafted stories express a worldly understanding that in the reality of our lives, there are no hero or villain, good or bad, only the grey area of circumstance and situation, all for the sake of better understanding that sickness and death are of these natural designs that compose and frame the human experience. ( )
1 vote rwagner2 | Oct 14, 2014 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
I never got to meet Siobhan Dowd. (Author's Note)
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,358,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible