A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls

by Patrick Ness

Other authors: Siobhan Dowd (Author), Jim Kay (Illustrator)

Recently added bykcoates729, arenie5000, scaifea, MCHBurke, private library, j1775, kuriosum, AKBuechereiPoett, ASIJ
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (kaledrina)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    Skellig by David Almond (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Each book features a young adult facing a crisis and helped through this time by a supernatural being.
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (faither)
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: One's a novel, the other a comic, but both are excellent and devastating stories of grief.
    Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg (fountainoverflows)

English (214)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (219)
  dbruscini | Apr 7, 2016 |
About accepting the death of a parent ( )
  jnmwheels | Apr 3, 2016 |
Eleven year old Conor is dealing with many things. His father, who has left them and went to America to create a new family, almost never has time for Conor. His best friend has betrayed his trust. His grandmother is far from being a nurturing, understanding granny he needs her to be. And his mother has cancer.

What is more, Conor has nightmares that wake him every night at exactly seven minutes past midnight. They appeared when his mother started treatments for cancer and they’ve been torturing him ever since. And when on one night a monster comes for him, Conor is not even scared - he’s been dealing with much more terrifying things. The monster, too, doesn’t come to scare - he comes to tell stories.

“Stories are the wildest things of all, the monster rumbled. Stories chase and bite and hunt.”

Everyone has his own monsters. Most of them come when we least expect them,
at the moments of our vulnerability or doubt. But some of them come at our call - we need them to punish us or distract us from our true selves. Truth is sometimes the scariest thing in the world and only the best of us have courage to face it. As painful as it may be, bringing up your deepest fears and longings is the only way to embrace yourself. To embrace life.

“If you speak the truth, the monster whispered in his ear, you will be able to face whatever comes.”

Mere 226 pages long, [b:A Monster Calls|8621462|A Monster Calls|Patrick Ness|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1387584864s/8621462.jpg|13492114] leaves a huge scar on your heart. A scar you'll be wishing to keep. It’s about death, yes. And I cried myself to sleep over the book. But it is also about love, guilt, friendship, cruelty, belonging, denial and, well, every element of the curious thing we call life.

“You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions.”

p.s. A promising movie adaptation is to be released in 2016. Kleenex is a must. ( )
  vira_t | Mar 29, 2016 |

Originally posted here

I was not prepared for the emotional fallout after reading A Monster Calls. Profuse and silent tears poured from my eyeballs. The places this book transported me to were bleak, depressing and cold. I could practically hear wood creaking and the rain howling as I was reading.

The illustrations by Jim Kay were just phenomenal; the black and white artwork complimented the tone of the story perfectly. The monster's visitations to Conor were really creepy, and the strange fables it tells really surreal. Like Conor, I wasn't ready for this monster to take me to the places it did and the emotion just flowed unexpectedly.

A Monster Calls is a very dark and poignant book, it explores themes of grief, anger and loss. It would deeply resonate with anyone who has been to dark places during childhood and adolescence. An amazing book. ( )
  4everfanatical | Mar 9, 2016 |
I wasn't sure I'd like this one at first, but what a beautiful book. It takes the subject of grief and deals with it with a frankness that I think kids will really appreciate. The author also manages to weave a series of stories together in a susinct and surprising way. I wouldn't have minded one bit if this book had beaten Okay for Now for the Newbery. Dead End in Norvelt on the other hand... ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
I never got to meet Siobhan Dowd. (Author's Note)
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

The monster tells tales
that don't behave and Conor
accepts a hard truth.
(passion4reading)

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible