A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls

by Patrick Ness

Other authors: Siobhan Dowd (Author), Jim Kay (Illustrator)

1,277None6,130 (4.43)195
2011 (20) 2012 (19) 2013 (11) bullying (55) cancer (116) children's (14) death (84) death of a parent (18) ebook (15) England (19) family (29) fantasy (70) favorites (10) fiction (100) grief (83) horror (35) illustrated (21) library (10) loss (32) magical realism (14) monsters (56) mothers (16) nightmares (37) read in 2011 (15) read in 2012 (14) teen (17) to-read (83) YA (71) young adult (84) young adult fiction (19)

English (164)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (168)
As an adult, I did not find this book particularly interesting. The idea of the evil coming to life and forcing Conor to deal with his fears is an interesting one, but I feel it would have been a much better graphic novel than just a novel. Yes, the few illustrations included were nice - I believe I would have preferred the whole story was told this way.

Definitely an interesting concept, but I wonder if it would scare kids more than help them deal with this situation themselves. (Not that I know whether this was the intent of the book, in particular.) Perhaps, a good read a few years down the road after a person has lost a parent to something like cancer. Another adult told me he enjoyed the book as he had lost his mother when he was only about 9. So maybe it was just that I could not relate to the characters here.

It is well-written and many people seem to have quite enjoyed it, but I just found it a bit tedious (I kept thinking, "Just say it, kid!"). So, it might be enjoyable for many, but not for all. Overall, a bit depressing as well. ( )
  horomnizon | Apr 10, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Apr 7, 2014 |
This book is amazing, im happy i read it - even though it is a coincedence i borrowed it (apparently i reserved the wrong book).

I've never read any of Patrick Ness' or Siobhan Dowd's books... But I am going to know.

5 stars, because i could not put this amazing, well-written, tear-provoking, thought-making book down ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
Patrick Ness weaves a scary story about a monster yew tree after poor Conor. Conor's mother is sick with cancer and his grandmother wants him to live with her when the end comes. Conor refuses and thinks the monster can help him, but the monster wants something else entirely. Great story with beautifully haunting sketches. ( )
  kissedbyink | Mar 26, 2014 |
This was an amazing book on so many levels. Conor is dealing with so much in his young life, bullying, a sick mother, divorce, and fear, and has no one to confide in until the monster shows up. The monster helps him accept, let go and face his fears. There is a scene at the end with his mother that I have lived through. Needless to say I was sobbing. The illustrations add so much to the story. A wonderful collaboration. ( )
  dinelson | Mar 18, 2014 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible