A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls (edition 2011)

by Patrick Ness, Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)

2,2082412,940 (4.39)262
Member:morninggray
Title:A Monster Calls
Authors:Patrick Ness
Other authors:Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)
Info:Walker (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 216 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Patrick Ness, Taal: Engels, Auteur: US, Paranormal, Children/YA, Death/Grief/Loss

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Recently added byjacpam, S.Gutierrez, WGPL, dingesa27, ansate, pgausman, private library, taisiia, Samantha.Picurro, Keelz09
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (kaledrina)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (faither)
    Skellig by David Almond (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Each book features a young adult facing a crisis and helped through this time by a supernatural being.
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (keremix)
    keremix: I don't wanna give spoilers, but for me it was hard to miss the things these two books have in common.
    Jellaby by Kean Soo (elenchus)
    elenchus: A Monster Calls and Jellaby share a similar premise, as well as thematic concerns with isolation and childhood depression. They're each illustrated, but the words are as important as the images (and vice versa), and though they treat of sobering concerns, are ultimately good-hearted and optimistic.… (more)
    Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg (fountainoverflows)
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: One's a novel, the other a comic, but both are excellent and devastating stories of grief.

English (233)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (241)
Every night at 12:07am, a young boy, Conor, has a nightmare, a tree outside his house becomes a monster. The monster tells him stories that help him deal with his mom’s illness. They are stories about humans and how they are complicated. Conor also is dealing constantly with bullying at his school. This story is good for middle readers. It is a way to teach fantasy from fact and to teach about metaphor. This book is about to be released as a movie as well, so students may be interested in reading the book.

This book won the Carnagie Medal, a UK award given to one outstanding new children’s book per year. It also won the Kate Greenaway Medal for its distinguished illustrations. ( )
  jangelique | Nov 25, 2016 |
A monster made of yew tree and distant ages rears up out of the night to greet Connor, a young boy with monsters of his own. I loved this story, which is about heartache and imperfect people and stories in which the hero is not always the hero and the villain not always the villain. It's a story that had me weeping big, sloppy tears by the time I reached in the end. Also, the art is lovely, dark and scratchy and beautiful. Highly recommended. ( )
  andreablythe | Nov 16, 2016 |
RGG: Similar to Skellig, a middle-school-aged boy fear of his mother's death from cancers "conjures" an emotional monster. Not humorous, but anger-filled in a truthful, heart renching story. Magical realism at its best. The honesty of the feelings dramatized makes this appropriate for older readers. Reading Interest: 12-14.
  rgruberexcel | Nov 10, 2016 |
This is an amazing story. I didn't know what to expect, and though I had seen a number of BookTube references, I wasn't sure if was for more. However, as part of a read-a-thon I decided to pick this book up and I'm so glad I did. I didn't really know anything about the book going into it and the title is very misleading. I think to fully appreciate the story it is best to go in blind. However, I will say I have never cried reading a book before, but I was bawling my eyes out at the end.

Jason Isaacs does an amazing job narrating the story. He really brings the characters to life. I think if I had read it I wouldn't have been touched by it as much as I think the audio version does. ( )
  FiLoMa | Oct 28, 2016 |
Wow. Must read. Sad and moving. A little funny too. My mom and I read it together. Both enjoyed it and we are ready to see the movie when it comes out! ( )
  Erika.D | Oct 9, 2016 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iacobaci, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
I never got to meet Siobhan Dowd. (Author's Note)
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

The monster tells tales
that don't behave and Conor
accepts a hard truth.
(passion4reading)

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible