A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls (edition 2011)

by Patrick Ness, Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)

Member:morninggray
Title:A Monster Calls
Authors:Patrick Ness
Other authors:Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)
Info:Walker (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 216 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Patrick Ness, Taal: Engels, Auteur: US, Paranormal, Children/YA, Death/Grief/Loss

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

English (173)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (177)
A wonderful story about dealing with life - and death - and learning to be ok with it. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I thought I had cried at a book before. I thought I knew what that experience was. I did not, until now. This book literally left me sobbing, needing many tissues, heart torn out and splayed across my bed pillows. It is beautiful. It is near perfection. It is terrifying only in its incredible grasp of the individual truths we all carry within us, especially in moments of grief. I found this book on accident when scanning my library's ebook selection and I am very sad that there wasn't a person who suggested it to me. If a friend had handed me this book I could thank that friend and share in our common experience of having this book tear our hearts out of our chests. But because I found this the way I did I am alone in the experience of it, so far. Alone in recognizing where my own monster lives. Alone in my own grief. Perhaps that is because I need to be alone in this one for awhile. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Conor O'Malley is a 13-year-old boy with a lot of weight on his shoulders. His mom is terribly ill and always very tired, so he basically takes care of himself. It's tough though, he is haunted by a terrible nightmare every night, and daylight brings little more than a sense of impending doom. Things are so bad that when one night a yew tree comes to life and threatens him with a dark and menacing voice, he isn't afraid in the slightest. It's just a dream after all, and he's been dealing with scarier things anyway. But when he wakes up and finds his floor strewn with yew tree leaves, he begins to question what is real and what isn't, which is just another thing he has to worry about.

A Monster Calls doesn't hide the fact that it's going to be heartbreaking in the end. It makes it pretty clear from the beginning that it will rip your heart out and gleefully stomp on it before your eyes. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I dove in with reckless abandon, and certainly wasn't disappointed. I loved it. Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the author is an evil nefarious monster himself, but it's a beautifully written story teeming with emotion, and I can appreciate that.

Let's hope my next read is happier, though. ( )
2 vote Ape | Aug 2, 2014 |
Conor O'Malley is 13. His parents are divorced. He lives in England with his "mum". Dad lives in America with his new wife & family. Conor gets bullied by Harry, Anton, & Sully at school. Lily is his friend, they've known each other for years. Conor's mum has cancer and has been going through treatments. Her mom (Conor's grandma) is not your typical sweet, gentle grandma. She is very driven and demanding. Sounds bad but the worst part is Conor's nightmare. Every night he has the same nightmare at 12:07. The yew tree in the back yard comes to life. It turns into a monster and talks to Conor. It tries to help him claiming Conor "called" him. It tells Conor three stories to share life lessons. In exchange, Conor must tell it his story, his greatest fear and the truth. Quick moving and an easy read, how will Conor face the bullies, handle mum's failing health, and his monstrous nightmares. Read to find out! ( )
  alsparks324 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Warning: This review contains an honest review of a popular book and it may not be a review that some people that liked the book, agrees with. Just remember, this is My Personal Opinion and we are entitled to those.

Now, on to my thoughts of the book

Let me start off by saying that the book is well written and pretty easy to read (outside of what the book itself is about). I loved the Mother and Lily. I liked the lesson the Tree was trying to give Conor.

The only reason this book got a 3/5 was because of those characters in the book and because it was well written, but for me, the story itself, was just too sad. Too many attitudes flying around. Conor and his grandmother got on my last damn nerve! Although I do understand Conor's anger and frustration, his attitude towards certain people was just unnecessary for me. And let me stress this again, I understand Conor was dealing with a lot..Between his Mother's situation to bullies at school, but the attitude he took towards people that were just trying to help him, aggravated me. I guess maybe I am looking at this through the eyes of a 39 year old woman. As someone who has dealt with my share of bullies and hurtful situations, again, I can understand some of what he is dealing with and the hurt he is having to hold on to. Feelings like no one cares, etc.

I don't hate this book at all. I went in knowing it was a bullying situation, but not knowing much else. I think that's why it got a lower rating from me. I am just not a person who likes overly sad books. Maybe if I had going into it knowing a little more, it wouldn't have been so "bad". That's a lot of the reason I don't want to read a John Green book. Too much sadness. When I read, I like to get away from truly painful reality. I guess that's why I like fantasy so much. It gets me out of reality, even with Angel books, I do believe in Angels but it's more of a comfort book thing for me. Sometimes sad things happen but it doesn't take over the whole book! And that goes with any other book I read, it can't be total sadness throughout the book. And hopefully at least some kind of happy ending at the end..even if there is death, people try to find a way to work through it. I really don't know how to explain it but I think, and hope, I put it in a way people understand what I mean! :-)

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,127,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible