A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls (edition 2012)

by Patrick Ness, Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)

Member:KayEluned
Title:A Monster Calls
Authors:Patrick Ness
Other authors:Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)
Info:Walker (2012), Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, children's, Carnegie Medal, magical realism

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Recently added byniquetteb, LitaVore, Rena37, jevins, DoddSue, private library, AnaThaylen, phoibee
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (kaledrina)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (faither)
    Skellig by David Almond (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Each book features a young adult facing a crisis and helped through this time by a supernatural being.
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (keremix)
    keremix: I don't wanna give spoilers, but for me it was hard to miss the things these two books have in common.
    Jellaby by Kean Soo (elenchus)
    elenchus: A Monster Calls and Jellaby share a similar premise, as well as thematic concerns with isolation and childhood depression. They're each illustrated, but the words are as important as the images (and vice versa), and though they treat of sobering concerns, are ultimately good-hearted and optimistic.… (more)
    Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg (fountainoverflows)
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: One's a novel, the other a comic, but both are excellent and devastating stories of grief.

English (252)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (3)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (263)
This short novella has strong, complex characters, a fantastical monster, and an ending that absolutely sticks its emotional landing. Highly recommended. ( )
  Katya0133 | Mar 25, 2017 |
4.5 Stars. My heart's a mess right now. At first this book reminded me of The Iron Giant and Coraline with echoes from the Deathly Hallows' "The Tale of the Three Brothers" but then it grows into something more, a book about healing, and by the end I just couldn't believe how well it was crafted. This book was so well written. The book is about a young boy named Conor whose mother is dying of cancer. He is visited by a monster who is also a giant Yew Tree at night (12:07 precisely) and tells him three fairytale-like stories with a highly atmospheric description and a twist. That's all I can say about the summary without being too spoiler-filled for those who have not read it yet. What is particularly magical about the way this really depressing story is told is the use of language and metaphor (and sometimes allegory). This is a book I would teach and discuss at length. It's highly memorable and I expect it to haunt me forever. Here are just some lines that stayed with me: "there is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between" (70). "And if no one sees you...are you really there at all?" (163). "But there are harder things than being invisible" (171). "You must tell the truth or you will never leave this nightmare...you will be trapped here alone for the rest of your life" (204). ( )
  AndreeaMarin | Mar 1, 2017 |
It got a good cry out of me. Beautiful illustrations. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
So many layers of emotion. I cried so hard. ( )
  srsanford | Feb 26, 2017 |
Este libro me ha arrancado el corazón y me lo ha dejado en pedazos. He llorado, sí. Es triste, pero tiene una belleza en esa tristeza, en la pena, en las reacciones de Conor...
En el monstruo, también. En sus enseñanzas.

La edición que he leído me ha parecido preciosa, sobre todo por las ilustraciones, que dejan sin aliento.

Recomiendo a todo el mundo esta magnífica novela. ( )
  Owdormer | Feb 26, 2017 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iacobaci, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
I never got to meet Siobhan Dowd. (Author's Note)
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

The monster tells tales
that don't behave and Conor
accepts a hard truth.
(passion4reading)

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,842,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible