A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls (edition 2012)

by Patrick Ness, Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)

Member:KayEluned
Title:A Monster Calls
Authors:Patrick Ness
Other authors:Siobhan Dowd, Jim Kay (Illustrator)
Info:Walker (2012), Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, children's, Carnegie Medal, magical realism

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (kaledrina)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (faither)
    Skellig by David Almond (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Each book features a young adult facing a crisis and helped through this time by a supernatural being.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: One's a novel, the other a comic, but both are excellent and devastating stories of grief.
    Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg (fountainoverflows)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)

English (210)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (215)
A heart wrenching, page-turning wonder about accepting the truth. ( )
  kimpiddington | Feb 6, 2016 |
Narrated by Jason Isaacs. Conor has had nightmares since his mother began treatments for cancer. When a monster calls his name one night, he thinks it’s the monster from his nightmares, but it is the yew tree outside come alive. The yew monster is present at a time that Conor needs him, although Conor doesn’t realize it yet. As his mother grows worse, the yew monster presses Conor to face his truth which is that Conor is so afraid of losing his mother that he just wants that moment done and gone. The pacing and expression are well-suited for this emotional story without making it sentimental. Devastating in an unforgettable way. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Short and fast this YA book will rip open your heart and bring you to tears. It is a sad tale of a young boy faced with the death that is slowly taking his mother. Beautifully written, hard to read. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I really like Siobhan Dowd's books and I was excited to see that someone had taken her unfinished idea that she was working on when she died so young of breast cancer and written a novel from it. I didn't end up liking it as much as I did Siobhan's novels. The mc is supposed to be a teen bit it read to me like he was about 9 or 10. Some of the prose was nice BUT IT WAS ANOTHER NOVEL WITH PICTURES--ARGHHH!!! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dowd, SiobhanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
I never got to meet Siobhan Dowd. (Author's Note)
You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

The monster tells tales
that don't behave and Conor
accepts a hard truth.
(passion4reading)

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible