What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay by…

What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay (edition 2011)

by Amanda Cockrell

221476,730 (4)None
Member:MVTheBookBabe
Title:What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay
Authors:Amanda Cockrell
Info:Flux (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 264 pages
Rating:***

What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay by Amanda Cockrell

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

Well, that is one mouthful of a title, ain't it? And I don't really understand it. One line from a poem, and that becomes the title? Hmm. I really enjoyed Angie's character, because she was quirky in all the right ways, and really had a voice of her own. I don't really get why they needed a character as screwed up as Jesse, though. Cause he was completely screwed up. He's paranoid, he's abusive, and he's downright insane. I just don't understand the need for him in the book. I guess he's a part of it, but I still really hate him.

Also, it was nice for once to read about a girl who wasn't
A. Obsessed with a random dude,
or B. Suicidal
That's always a plus, right? In my world it is. Moving on. There's really no plot, but for a plotless book it was alright. Didn't move too fast, was cute enough, and I lived through it. Not something I'll be recommending, but I lived. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Jan 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 073872615X, Paperback)

The Boston Globe named What We Keep is not Always What Will Stay a 2011 Best Book for Children

The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books named What We Keep is not Always What Will Stay to their 2011 Blue Ribbons list

Angie never used to think much about God—until things started getting strange. Like the statue of St. Felix, her secret confidant, suddenly coming off his pedestal and talking to her. And Jesse Francis, sent home from Afghanistan at age nineteen with his leg blown off. Now he's expected to finish high school and fit right back in. Is God even paying attention to this?

Against the advice of St. Felix (who knows a thing or two about war), Angie falls for Jesse—who's a lot deeper than most high school guys. But Jesse is battling some major demons. As his behavior starts to become unpredictable, and even dangerous, Angie finds herself losing control of the situation. And she's starting to wonder . . . can one person ever make things right for someone else?

Praise:

Starred Review"An utterly engaging narrative with a witty and thoughtful protagonist."
—The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review

"Cockrell balances on the knife’s edge between comedy and tragedy. The depth and darkness of her themes makes an absorbing read for older young adults." The Boston Globe

"I loved this story with its deft use of magical realism, its wonderfully quirky yet believable characters, and its honest portrayal of relationships, good and bad."—Han Nolan, National Book Award-winning author of Dancing on the Edge

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:46 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Angela, distraught over her mother and stepfather's separation, confides in a statue of St. Felix that suddenly seems to come alive, after which she befriends Jesse, a nineteen-year-old disabled veteran, although Felix, her family, and friends warn her to be wary of him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible