Hexed by Kevin Hearne

Hexed

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (2)

658None14,646 (4.06)66
2011 (6) 2013 (8) adult (7) Arizona (11) audiobook (10) Celtic (9) Celtic mythology (6) druid (12) druids (30) ebook (19) fantasy (90) fiction (35) gods (12) humor (9) Irish (6) Iron Druid (12) Iron Druid Chronicles (15) Kindle (9) library (7) magic (23) mythology (19) paranormal (22) read (9) read in 2011 (16) series (14) to-read (9) urban fantasy (92) vampires (26) werewolves (20) witches (25)

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Usually, after a hero slays the bad guy in his first book, he gets a break. But not Atticus O’Sullivan. He knew this would happen, too, which is part of the reason he would have preferred to leave Aenghus Óg alone, if he could have. But now he’s done it and, sure enough, there are consequences — everyone knows where he is and everyone wants a piece of him. Suddenly, Tempe Arizona is full of paranormals, most notably a coven of East European witches who fought with Hitler back in WWII, and a group of Bacchants from Las Vegas (where else?) who plan to do more than party.

Like its predecessor, Hexed is chock full of exciting action and tons of laughs. Oberon is in full form here, providing lots of truly funny comic relief (best sidekick ever!), and Atticus himself is hilarious, especially when he’s trying to evade the cops by pretending to be just a doped up occult bookshop owner. The vampire and werewolf lawyers are further developed and Atticus also brings on a bright and perky apprentice — the Irish girl who’s been waiting tables at Rúla Búla.

The Iron Druid Chronicles continues to be excellent urban paranormal fantasy that you won’t want to miss if you love that genre and that you should try if you don’t. I highly recommend Brilliance Audio’s version read by Luke Daniels — he is superb. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

For centuries, Atticus has been lying low trying to stay under the Tuatha Dé Danann's radar but after what went down in Hounded that's no longer an option. Oddly enough, instead of lining up to kill him, the old Gods want to enlist his help to dispatch some of their own foes. Hexed is another action-packed installment in Hearne's The Iron Druid Chronicles; full of demon hunting, manipulative Celtic goddesses and witchy magic. You can't go wrong with this series on audio; both the writing and the narration are phenomenal. A definite must!

I love how versatile Luke Daniels' narration is; he's a pro at transitioning from one character to the next and does a great job of giving each of them a distinct voice with the help of accents, pitch and tone. I especially enjoyed his Coyote persona because he absolutely nailed the Southern twang and slower paced dialogue. His interpretation of Oberon never fails to bring a smile to my face and I think Daniels' has Atticus' POV down to a tee. I was relieved to hear him pronounce "Roosevelt" correctly this time around but he did botch "nocked" (as in an arrow) a few times which was a mild irritant.

The mythology, multiple plot threads and scheming characters help ensure that this book is never dull. There's even a bit of sex in this installment, just probably not the fun kind you're thinking of! Needless to say, the Celtic Chooser of the Slain and the Goddess of War's tastes are anything but vanilla. However, she's not the only Tuatha Dé Danann who's vying for Atticus' attention; Brighid, the Goddess of poetry, fire, and the forge also wants a piece of the druid pie.

Oberon still continues to be the star of this series; from his bath time adventures to his doggy humor, I just can't get enough of his POV. As a dog owner I've often wondered what goes on inside their heads and these books do a great job of playing off of that. Atticus comes in second on my list of favourite Iron Druid Chronicles characters; I love how he can talk circles around practically anyone and, can often times diffuse a volatile situation with logic and reason. However, when all else fails there's always Fragarach or in this case... RPGs!

Hexed combines intense action with quick-witted humour to create an entertaining experience that's truly unique. Kevin Hearne and Luke Daniels are quickly becoming one of my favourite audiobook duos; together they transform Atticus' story into an irresistible, full-bodied adventure. ( )
  RabidReads | Jan 3, 2014 |
Originally posted on my blog.

Cover Talk: Um. Beautiful. Atticus is beautiful. And manly. And rugged. And has Celtic tattoos. Did I mention beautiful? Yet, manly.

First Impressions: Well, after falling in love with the first book, I knew the second had to be just as good. And I was right.

First Line: “Turns out when you kill a god, people want to talk to you.”

Characters: Atticus is a beautiful fighting, Celtic machine. Seriously, he knows how to kick ass and look good doing it. I love how with each cover of the series, we get to see more and more of his face. I’m just saying. But Atticus is spot on again. I love his humor, intelligence, and badassery. I am really excited for the next book.

Granuaile is amping up to be one of my favorite characters. As Atticus’ apprentice, there is more to her in this book and I’m assuming more to her in the next several books. She is Atticus in female form. I have just decided this. Both are funny, witty, smart, and sexy. I’m really jealous. I want to study to be a Druid too!

Oberon is the best animal character ever. Hands down. In the first book, he wanted to be the Genghis Khan of dogs. Now he is a peace, love, and dog treats kind of dog. I love Oberon.

And of course, all of the secondary characters are brilliant again. Hal and Leif, the lawyer duo, are willing to do just about anything for Atticus, with the proper payment of course. Morrigan and Brighid are both seducing and threatening Atticus in the same breath. Gotta love Celtic goddesses. And all of the witches are entertaining to read about.

Plot: Again, as in the first book, there are so many different things going on. Atticus does not handle just one magical beasty, but tends to battle with three. Not to mention balancing personal and professional relationships between two Celtic goddesses, a werewolf and vampire lawyer duo, an attractive apprentice, a millenia old witch, and a wonderful Irish wolfhound. Seriously, this book has it all.

I find the humor to be one of my favorite parts of this series. While Atticus partakes in many life threatening situations, normally back to back, I find his humor to be wonderful. It helps that he has a deal with the goddess of death, so…that’s nice.

I really enjoyed that this book was more about the witches. Hearne does a great job at introducing characters, alliainces, and enemies in the previous book, only to build off of them in the following book. If things are going like I think they will, I will be reading about Thor in the third book.

Final Thoughts: This series keeps getting better and better. I have three and four. I also need to buy five. If you have not started this series yet, you need to start now. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
More urban fantasy fun from the Iron Druid Chronicles. Like [b:Hounded|9533378|Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)|Kevin Hearne|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xgF5-9zSL._SL75_.jpg|14419515], Hexed is full of action and humor. Oberon continues to be a great doggie character and I wish there had been more of him in this book (although I was happy he was out of harms way for most of it - I always worry about the dog). The role of the witches in this world gets more fleshed out as Atticus works with a local coven against an influx of "evil" witches. Gods and Goddesses from various pantheons make appearances and one thing I like is that they act like the Gods and Goddesses in the stories of old. They can be vain and petty and spiteful and still be remarkably powerful. Overall, it was another quick, fun read from this series and I'll certainly be sticking around to see what happens in the third book. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
You know, while I enjoyed this overall, several things made me glad I'm not paying hardcover prices for these.

Kinky sex. Why is it everytime Atticus jumps in the sack with some goddess who can destroy him, that it is abnormal? Either the actual act [sex magic to fix his ear? anyone?] or it is just a ruse by one deity on another? And then the apprentice. Atticus has sex, lots and lots it seems, with immortal beings of unearthly appeal.
AND HE CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT HIS APPRENTICE? Geez, what exactly is in his tea, stupid?

Along with that, I understand that the author is trying to make him relevant by giving him 21st century lingo and attitude. But just like in the first book, it doesn't work for me because it is outside the normal parameters of the human psyche. People DO NOT CHANGE on demand. Just look at an older relative [or yourself as the case may be] to see how humans adjust to change. Some do better than others, given, but 2100 years of constant change will destroy a human unless they have an inner core identity [and most people don't have a strong enough core to stand up to 2100 years.]

Thirdly, pop culture references. Pop culture changes to fast and to often to make so many references. Some went over my head. In 5-10 years[barely an eyeblink in literary terms], the target audience of this book will have little to no clue to at least half of the references. They are amusing to you and me, but will be a killer for anyone down the road. I know these are not meant to be ageless tomes alongside of Dickens and Dostoyevsky, but still, show a little longterm pride.

Ok, now that I've written everything I didn't like, here's my like.

Vampires trying to swear/talk slang. I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes.

Overall, a good action story. Lose the sex and faked "will he or won't he" romance angle and you have an enjoyable man story. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, who never saw these books in print, but at least left us knowing his son had achieved his dream
Turns out that when you kill a god, people want to talk to you.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn’t care much for witches. Still, he’s about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty—when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they’re badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II.

With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor’s rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked the wrong Druid to hex.

Atticus O'Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn't care much for witches. Still, he's about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they're badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II. With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor's rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked up the wrong Druid to hex.--From back cover.… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible