Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

Zombies Don't Cry

by Rusty Fischer

English (15)  Italian (3)  All (18)
Why do author's insist on assuming their audience consists entirely of morons? I picked this up a couple of weeks ago because it sounded interesting and was a Nook Free Friday's selection. I can't turn down free. Unfortunately, this is just another reminder of why certain books are offered up at no-cost. The author reworks phrases and replaces certain words with "zombie" as if this is clever or witty (see: zombie friends forever). It's painful to read due to the slack writing and feeling of forced attempted "hipness". The characters are all vapid and shallow, though Mr. Fischer gets points for his take on how zombies are created. Also, who would name their progeny Stamp? I just don't get it. The superlative most appropriate for this piece is "tries too hard". The book was infinitely better than Pinelight and Linger though, so good job on that. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Rusty Fischer kept me captivated with this novel. I absolutely loved it. While it’s not actually a love story, the story line is still well thought out. I loved the characters of the zombies, Dane and Chloe. They were full of dry humor, and know how to kick ass when they need to. I didn’t take it as a serious zombie book, but it was light and entertaining. Maddy came to grips with the fact that she is a zombie pretty quickly, which I thought was odd. But she gave her all in facing the zerkers that threatened to make the town of Barracuda Bay into a town of the living dead. Zerkers are kind of like bad zombies. They have only brains on their agenda and don’t function well at all unless they are obtaining their goal. I liked the prospect of good and bad zombies. The ending was great, and I think it left an opening to another possible book about what happens with Dane, Maddy, and Stamp. Overall I think you will really enjoy this book if you are looking for a light quick read. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I had initially received a copy of Zombies Don't Surrender, as part of the Early Reviewers program. I hadn't realized it was actually the 3rd book in the series; the publisher was kind enough to provide me with copies of the preceding 2 books as well, which I thought might be helpful in terms of story continuity.

Zombies Don't Cry was a light and easy read, perhaps too much so. I didn't really feel that a good connection was established with the main character Maddy; her relationships with others could have been explored a bit more deeply. The first half of the book coasts along somewhat boringly. Things do pick up in the 2nd half, and take a darker turn, but by then it is still hard to really empathize with the bad events which are unfolding.

I found the re-imagining of how zombies are created to seem out of place. The story would have done better if some other type of creature were used instead of zombies.

Lastly, some of the writing conventions used by the author were annoying. There was an overabundance of ellipses being used. Also the tendency to end sentences with capitalized and separated words Soon. Became. Tiresome. ( )
  arkaic | Jan 18, 2014 |
I think I got this free from the Nook store. I don't even know for sure why I kept going. I think I mostly wanted to see where it was going. Unfortunately for the book, I read so many other things in between starting and finishing, that I was super-confused about who was who.
  srearley | Sep 21, 2013 |
I picked this book up expecting it to be a funny read, with a little bit of horror and romance tossed in. What I got was a pretty flat book with a sudden and abrupt turn at the end of the novel. And sadly, despite what the subject matter might lead you to expect, there's very little horror in the book at all.

First, the good: the zombie explanation. In this world, zombies are created through electrical currents. If you get electrocuted and die, the electrical current can bring you back as a zombie. Consequently, you crave brains as a source of electricity. As a zombie, you're stronger than normal, more difficult to kill, and basically live forever, unless somebody chops your head off or electrocutes you. It's not really an explanation you want to look at too closely, but it's a unique take on things. Good zombies can get by on animal brains and the like, while bad zombies ("zerkers", short for "berserkers") are more of your traditional zombie: mindless and violent. Not surprisingly, our protagonist is a good zombie. The method in which she becomes one is pretty random and coincidental, but hey, this is a list of good things, so whatever.

I also found the protagonist, Maddy, to be very clear-headed and focused. Unlike a lot of female protagonists who tend to get distracted at the drop of a hat (forget the bloodthirsty vampires chasing after her, she's got a boy to make out with!), Maddy is consistently focused on tackling the problems at hand.

Now, the not good: Maddy. I said I liked her clear-headedness, but she's MUCH too accepting. When she becomes a zombieafter being randomly STRUCK BY LIGHTNING, might I add, she only takes about 24 hours or so to come to terms with things. No crying, no hysterical screaming, nada. It was nice not to have a protagonist in constant denial, but it also pulled me out of the story a lot.

The other not-so-good thing in this book: the love story. To be fair, the title clearly labels the book, but here's the catch: THERE IS NO LOVE STORY. Throughout the book, Maddy is (justifiably) fixated on killing the bad zombies, to the point where everything else is underdeveloped. Again, understandable, because things that bite always take priority. Yet at the end of the book, out of NOWHERE, comes the love triangle. After killing the bad zombies (and losing her supposed zombie-best-friend, though she's not too hung up on it), Maddy abruptly throws herself into the arms of a guy she kind of knows, kisses him passionately, only to declare that she absolutely MUST be with this other guy she almost went on a date with once, because he needs her.

Imagine you spend an hour and a half watching a surprisingly boring zombie film, only to have your significant other switch it to an overly dramatic soap opera when you aren't looking. Baffled, you ending up rocking back and forth on the couch, shouting, "WTF IS GOING ON?"

It's that kind of feeling.

In summary: this is not a terrible book, which is why I gave in two stars instead of one. It honestly just comes across as a book that's desperately trying to fit into the current paranormal romance craze, but doesn't really fit. Had the author gone more for the horror and left the romance behind completely, I think it could have worked.
  Becky_Jean | Mar 31, 2013 |

After being hit by lightning on her way to a party, Maddy awakens happy to be alive, but soon realizes she's become one of the living dead.

Medallion Press

4 editions of this book were published by Medallion Press.

Editions: 1605423823, 160542868X, 1605420433, 1605420778

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,101,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible