Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book…

Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Larissa Ione

2021758,111 (4.13)1
Member:LLL808
Title:Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book 2)
Authors:Larissa Ione
Info:
Rating:*****

Immortal Rider by Larissa Ione (2011)

3.5 star rating

I wanted to give this book higher rating. If I were to rate Limos and Arik's story then it would be a bit better than average. However, Thanatos's story starts in this book and it is so overwhelming than it shadows the main story.

The book starts at the party. They are celebrating Ares and Cara's wedding. Arik kisses Limos and demons drag him to hell. While there, he is tortured to say her name in agony (if he does that, then she becomes Satan's). Of course, he doesn't do that.
All Limos's lies come to light in this book. Her brothers find out everything she has been hiding from them. There are some pretty heartbreaking moments. I don't think I even have to say who spills all her secrets. I felt sorry for her.
As far as their story goes, it is rewarding to read the ending. However, as I said, Thanatos's story is so great and huge that Limos/Arik took a back seat in their own book (or at least almost took a back seat). Too much space was given to such a powerful character (not that I am completely complaining) and it almost completely shadowed the main story. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Loved Limos and Arik! The Demonica wolrd has a lot of details that makes the story much more interesting for us to read and immerse ourselves in. It is great to see so many things happening and what the main players involved are doing for their part in the whole plot. I ca't wait to see how this is going to end. Awesome! ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Immortal Rider
3.5 Stars

The romance and chemistry between Limos and Arik is an improvement on book #1 although there is still something missing in their connection perhaps due to the emphasis on lies and secret keeping; a trope that has put me off contemporary romance and it is out of place in PNR. Moreover, Limos and Arik are not exactly a power couple - he is pretty one-dimensional and nondescript and she is too self-absorbed to be a completely likable heroine.

The plot is also far fetched and disjointed. The descriptions of excruciating torture, rapid healing and death in large numbers is not only excessive and unrealistic (even for PNR) but also serve to desensitize the reader to the atrocities committed within the pages and to undermine the threat of the approaching apocalypse.

In addition, the subplots between Reaver & Havester and Thanatos & Regan, while better developed and more interesting than the primary storyline, tend to overshadow the search for Limos's agimortus - a supposedly significant plot point that takes back seat to all the secret keeping and angst.

As mentioned, the developments in the secondary relationships are the highlights of the book. Pestilence is a despicable villain and even though his redemption is obviously in the works, Ione may have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to make it believable.

Reaver and Harvester are another compelling "opposites attract" couple but once again, it is difficult to see how Ione will overcome the obstacles to their romance, particularly the fact that Harvester is almost as evil as Pestilence.

Finally, Thanatos and Regan are the most entrancing pair in the series. Yes, there is some controversy over their sexual encounter but to me it cannot be removed from the context of the Demonica world in which good and evil are not black and white but shades of gray nor can the mitigating circumstances and the issue of intent be ignored. Not only was Regan unaware of the nature of Than's seal or the fact that she had inadvertently drugged and restrained him but she had no intent to rape or humiliate him. Nevertheless, the consequences of Regan's actions make the inevitable HEA with Thanatos particularly intriguing and I look forward to seeing what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Sep 21, 2013 |
I love Larissa Ione's stories. The world is great and the characters are varied and interesting. I can't wait for Death's book. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
I'm really disappointed with this book. The latest and first books in the Lords of the Deliverance series were very good. But this is a shocking dip in quality. Yet the recipe for success was slavishly followed. There's everything here that made the other books so likable. If it ain't broken don't fix it right? Curious how wrong that parable is in this case. The only thing that kept me going is the curiosity about how Arik became immortal. There's too much boring sex in this book. All of the Horsemen seem to have the exact personality. Horrible reading experience. I shudder in retrospect that I spent a day trying to enjoy this mediocre book. No offense to dedicated fans. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
Eternal Rider sets the stage for The Lords of Deliverance series but Immortal Rider throws you into the no holds barred action of this amazing world. It’s dark, gritty, violent, snarky, sexy and will push boundaries like no other book Ms. Ione has penned. With that said, it is not for the faint of heart or the reader who may have issues with violence and/or torture because Arik faces his share of it and then some. Delivering wicked hot demons and fierce warriors of the Apocalypse, Ms. Ione sets a compelling course to Doomsday as each story unfolds. What you can always count on is even though you are engrossed in an evil and vengeful setting, Ms. Ione’s underlying theme is a desire for the greater good in both mankind and her characters.

When he is sent to Hell for stealing a kiss from Limos, an immortal beauty who is engaged to Satan, Arik Wagner uses all of his military training to survive demon torture and prove to Limos that they belong together.

Larissa Ione is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible