Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book…

Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Larissa Ione

Title:Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book 2)
Authors:Larissa Ione
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages

Immortal Rider by Larissa Ione (2011)

3.5 star rating

I wanted to give this book higher rating. If I were to rate Limos and Arik's story then it would be a bit better than average. However, Thanatos's story starts in this book and it is so overwhelming than it shadows the main story.

The book starts at the party. They are celebrating Ares and Cara's wedding. Arik kisses Limos and demons drag him to hell. While there, he is tortured to say her name in agony (if he does that, then she becomes Satan's). Of course, he doesn't do that.
All Limos's lies come to light in this book. Her brothers find out everything she has been hiding from them. There are some pretty heartbreaking moments. I don't think I even have to say who spills all her secrets. I felt sorry for her.
As far as their story goes, it is rewarding to read the ending. However, as I said, Thanatos's story is so great and huge that Limos/Arik took a back seat in their own book (or at least almost took a back seat). Too much space was given to such a powerful character (not that I am completely complaining) and it almost completely shadowed the main story. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Immortal Rider
3.5 Stars

The romance and chemistry between Limos and Arik is an improvement on book #1 although there is still something missing in their connection perhaps due to the emphasis on lies and secret keeping; a trope that has put me off contemporary romance and it is out of place in PNR. Moreover, Limos and Arik are not exactly a power couple - he is pretty one-dimensional and nondescript and she is too self-absorbed to be a completely likable heroine.

The plot is also far fetched and disjointed. The descriptions of excruciating torture, rapid healing and death in large numbers is not only excessive and unrealistic (even for PNR) but also serve to desensitize the reader to the atrocities committed within the pages and to undermine the threat of the approaching apocalypse.

In addition, the subplots between Reaver & Havester and Thanatos & Regan, while better developed and more interesting than the primary storyline, tend to overshadow the search for Limos's agimortus - a supposedly significant plot point that takes back seat to all the secret keeping and angst.

As mentioned, the developments in the secondary relationships are the highlights of the book. Pestilence is a despicable villain and even though his redemption is obviously in the works, Ione may have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to make it believable.

Reaver and Harvester are another compelling "opposites attract" couple but once again, it is difficult to see how Ione will overcome the obstacles to their romance, particularly the fact that Harvester is almost as evil as Pestilence.

Finally, Thanatos and Regan are the most entrancing pair in the series. Yes, there is some controversy over their sexual encounter but to me it cannot be removed from the context of the Demonica world in which good and evil are not black and white but shades of gray nor can the mitigating circumstances and the issue of intent be ignored. Not only was Regan unaware of the nature of Than's seal or the fact that she had inadvertently drugged and restrained him but she had no intent to rape or humiliate him. Nevertheless, the consequences of Regan's actions make the inevitable HEA with Thanatos particularly intriguing and I look forward to seeing what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I did not enjoy this one as much as I did Eternal Rider. That is because Limos has so much self-hatred. She has lied and is afraid of the lies coming out but instead of just dealing with them, she runs away. So when the lies come out, she flips out. But other than that I liked this book. I like Arik. He is a good hero. He gets mad at Limos but forgives her for her fear. He helps the other Horsemen and saves the day. Once everything comes out Limos gets better too because now she had nothing to be afraid of. I just wish that she had dealt with her stuff before the half-way mark of the book. I just wanted to shake her.

I give this novel a Four out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
Audio-It took me one chapter to be hooked into these characters and their story. There are so many twists, turns and lies going on it was hard to catch my breath at times. The sex was even subdued till toward the end of the book and was 'fulfilling', LOL. Cliffhanger ending-Thanatos has got some stuff to deal with....
Limos, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is the future bride of Satan. She is a liar, a master at manipulation and a virgin for 5 thousand years ?!?!? Enter Arik, lowly human that he is falls for the Horseman ( or is it horsewoman?) He kisses her and all Hell breaks down upon him. He is taken and well, read the book. Her brothers and her are still trying to fight and fix brother Pestilence, who was released from his seal in the first book. He is a nasty, arse plus and getting stronger everyday. He hurts, cuts and mutilates his way to get what he wants. The group RX-R some special forces type Alpha group who are also trying to save the world throws a wrench in Thanatos life plan that may start the apocalypse.
** Great narrator ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
4.5 stars ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Eternal Rider sets the stage for The Lords of Deliverance series but Immortal Rider throws you into the no holds barred action of this amazing world. It’s dark, gritty, violent, snarky, sexy and will push boundaries like no other book Ms. Ione has penned. With that said, it is not for the faint of heart or the reader who may have issues with violence and/or torture because Arik faces his share of it and then some. Delivering wicked hot demons and fierce warriors of the Apocalypse, Ms. Ione sets a compelling course to Doomsday as each story unfolds. What you can always count on is even though you are engrossed in an evil and vengeful setting, Ms. Ione’s underlying theme is a desire for the greater good in both mankind and her characters.

When he is sent to Hell for stealing a kiss from Limos, an immortal beauty who is engaged to Satan, Arik Wagner uses all of his military training to survive demon torture and prove to Limos that they belong together.

Larissa Ione is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,703,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible