Double Dexter: A Novel (Dexter 6) by Jeff…

Double Dexter: A Novel (Dexter 6) (edition 2012)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (6)

Member:Eloise
Title:Double Dexter: A Novel (Dexter 6)
Authors:Jeff Lindsay
Info:Orion (2012), Paperback, 464 pages
Tags:not read yet, thriller

Double Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dexter inspired the story and created the character, a serial killer we (Dexter fans) came to love on screen.

The story moved along very quickly. Someone witnessed Dexter's hobby. This someone is a killer himself. This someone is toying with Dexter, trying to out him, framing him for murder.

So, in the book, he still living with Rita and 3 kids. And he has a daughter who is very baby smart. The two kids are monsters, aka little Dexter.

The brother Brian is still alive and cynical and still willing to help out Dexter. The sister Deb has a baby boy of her own. This is so good that all things are going well except that he was seen chopping up a child killer and was hunted.

The ending is kind of sweat. He didn't get to kill this horrible person Shadow guy but something I like better did.

Good one. Like it a lot. ( )
  XOX | Jul 30, 2014 |
Definitely not the best of the Dexter books series. Dexter is Delicious was a really good addition and showed that Jeff Lindsay can evolve his writing with time but this one is a miss... How much more do we really need to know about traffic mornings on Miami, Rita being difficult to understand, the kids being kidnapped yet again, Dexter helping in a investigation with his "murder instinct"... It really doesn't add to the book series.

== SPOILERS AHEAD ==

The idea of a copycat is sort of cool but not well explorer and it feels rushed. Basically someone sees Dexter on the act and runs off. So Dexter knows wants to find this person and kill him (why???). Way after this first contact, and by way after I mean that Jeff gets to introduce a serial killer that is caught really easily, the witness contact Dexter and notifies him on his intention of murdering him.

I have several problems with this plot, first of all according to the code, the witness didn't do anything wrong, therefore Dexter should leave him alone. Wouldn't that be way more interesting, to have Dexter with his hands tied due to his "job ethic" and simply be at the mercy of this stranger? Have him struggle between his survival and his code? The Dexter on this book wants to kill this witness just because he was sloppy and that doesn't sound like the Dexter I have been reading about. According to the code, the witness is free so Dexter should not do anything. I think it would be much more appealing to have this witness blackmailing Dexter, demanding to be a part of the killings and to follow Dexter around to see what it was like to live like him or else he would tell Rita and the cops.

Also, the witness on the book gets away with murder really easily, he does it on a real professional way and also imitates the style of the serial killer Jeff introduced, which has a really hard to pull off way of murder. So this random guy becomes a hardcore killer from day to night basically...

===== SPOILERS END ====

Jeff Lindsay reintroduce Brian on the story but does nothing with him. When I first read the title I thought that finally we would see some Dexter and Brian action, but no. Also, I'm still waiting for Dexter to get serious with his kids and teach them something. If you follow the books you know what I'm talking about. The remaining cast also reappears but, and this is common on the book series, they continue to be there "just because". There are some tensions scenes with Debora but nothing special...

Another thing I find really hard to digest is the fact that Dexter doesn't understand anything from Rita's behavior. I know that he is unable to understand the motives being some human behavior, but he should be able to understand the behavior. It seems really stupid to me that this highly professional and meticulous serial killer which is a really smart and logical person can not figure out that his wife, which is drinking wine like she was an alcoholic, has a serious problem. I get that it suppose to be funny but I think that's just way to low on the "I don't get human behavior" scale.

I'm not trying to tell Mr. Lindsay how he should write, but this one just felt...meh.
  ManuelCaveira | May 18, 2014 |
Book Info: Genre: Thriller/Police Procedural
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: twisted people
Trigger Warnings: murder

My Thoughts: Okay, this is my first read of this book, so it's all fresh and new and unknown! How exciting! To make things more fun, I did a sort of informal buddy read with Chuck from Bookworm Buddies over on Goodreads.

I was immediately struck by how strangely everyone is acting in this book. Rita is behaving very oddly, and Camilla Figg—always in the background, never any details—is also acting in a most peculiar manner, mangling her sentences even more than Rita most of the time. I've always wondered what Camilla's problem was. Does she have a crush on Dexter? Is she just painfully shy? And when Dexter finds out about the Shadowblog, why doesn't he just try to track down the owner of the blog? And when he finds the wife's name, why didn't he look up their marriage license to learn the guy's name? It seems pretty straightforward to me. I also have to say I do not at all understand why Dexter doesn't ask his brother for help sooner. After all, Brian has been wanting to have a playdate with Dexter for a very long time now, right?

Anyway, I love this series, but this book frustrated the heck out of me. Dexter was just not up to his normal standards and it drove me crazy. There were so many times that I figured out things before he did, and since I'm really not all that good at figuring things out, this just felt wrong to me.

On the other hand, the description of their first day in Key West was hilarious. So, all-in-all, I did end up enjoying the book. The ending was just beautiful and restored my faith in dear, darling Dexter. After all, who could really stay mad at him no matter how slow he may have been at figuring things out this time? Not me, that's for sure. But yeah, I had to take off a star for his unforgivable dullness through much of this book. This was not the Dexter I know and love, and I can only hope that the next book will fix these problems. For twisted souls only!

Series Information: Dexter Morgan series
Book 1: Darkly Dreaming Dexter, review linked here
Book 2: Dearly Devoted Dexter, review linked here
Book 3: Dexter in the Dark, review linked here
Book 4: Dexter by Design, review linked here
Book 5: Dexter is Delicious, review linked here
Book 6: Double Dexter
Book 7: Dexter's Final Cut

Disclosure: I purchased a new, first-edition hardcover of this book for myself. Then when it was time to find it, I couldn't, and bought myself a Kindle copy. At any rate, I've paid for this book twice and therefore owe no one anything. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: A witness. Such a simple concept—and yet for Dexter Morgan, the perfectly well-disguised monster, the possibility of a witness is unthinkable. But when Dexter is on a very private, very satisfying excursion one evening with a wretchedly deserving playmate, the unthinkable happens: someone sees him.

Dexter is not at all pleased. As an upstanding blood-spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department, he has always managed to keep the darker side of his life out of the spotlight... the fun part, where he finds truly bad people—murderers who have escaped the reach of the justice system—and quietly gives them his very special attentions. But now that he's been seen and identified by his witness, Dexter must launch himself into a different kind of hunt.

Making matters worse, a brutal cop killer is targeting Miami's police detectives, leaving behind bodies that are battered beyond recognition...and completely bloodless. As the department grows more fearful of the psychotic killer in their midst, Dexter must handle his own crisis and come to terms with the fact that his witness is not only circling him but determined to expose him. Dexter is being followed, manipulated, and mimicked... leading him to realize that no one likes to have a double, especially when his double's goal is to kill him. ( )
  Katyas | Aug 23, 2013 |
Standard Dexter book. Rita and kids are alive, Deb has one of her own. Brian is a friend. ( )
  dccapen | Jul 7, 2013 |
Dexter is discovered doing his usual diabolical deeds,by a Witness. This shadowy individual stalks Dexter and threatens to expose him for his crimes and later with death in the same manner with which he dispatches his own victims.
This is neither the best nor the worst of the series. ( )
  devenish | Apr 12, 2013 |
For Hilary, as ever
Of course there are clouds. They take over the sky and hide that pulsing swollen moon that is clearing its throat above them.

Dexter Morgan is not your average serial killer. He enjoys his day job as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department . . . but he lives for his nighttime hobby of hunting other killers. Dexter is therefore not pleased to discover that someone is shadowing him, observ­ing him, and copying his methods. Dexter is not one to tol­erate displeasure . . . in fact, he has a knack for extricating himself from trouble in his own pleasurable way.

Forensic analyst and nighttime vigilante Dexter Morgan discovers that he is being followed by a killer who is copying his methods, an adversary whom Dexter seeks to outmaneuver using his trademark knack for extricating himself from trouble.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible