The Summoner by Layton Green

The Summoner (2013)

by Layton Green

Incredible book!

Characters are complex and realistic. The descriptions of the practitioners are chilling. This is not a book in the genre of horror but it brings horror and unease in doses are are more effective for being small and repeated. The pacing of the book is perfect. It draws one along almost with a frisson of inevitability that is part of the story itself. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
William Addison - retired United States diplomat - disappears in front of hundreds of onlookers while attending a religious ceremony in the bush veld of Zimbabwe. Assigned to investigate the Addison case is Dominic Grey - Diplomatic Security special agent - a product of a violent childhood and a well-worn passport. He is not typically a 'by the book, follow the rules' special agent - but because he is so well-traveled, and knowledgeable in the martial arts - Dominic has managed to keep his position with the American Embassy.

Aiding in the investigation is Professor Viktor Radek, religious phenomenology scholar and expert on cults, and Nya Mashumba, the local government liaison. What Dominic uncovers during his investigation is a terrifying cult older than Western civilization, the harsh underbelly of a country in despair, a demagogic priest seemingly able to perform impossibilities, and the identity of the newest sacrifice.

Himself.

The Summoner: A Novel of Suspense, is the first book in a series which spans the globe; whose protagonists investigate the world's most bizarre and dangerous cults. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was well-written and fast-paced, and captured my attention right from the beginning. I must say that there were several unexpected plot twists - at least for me - and the various cliff-hangers throughout the story had me literally on the edge of my seat.

I give this book a definite A+! and look forward to reading more from Layton Green in the future. This story is certainly not for the faint-of-heart, and is totally thrilling and suspenseful. ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Jul 29, 2017 |
A mystery that had me baffled till nearly the end! What a thrill! Well researched, well written and a jewel to be found for this mystery buff! Excited that Dominic and Viktor's next adventure was on sale this weekend for inky $0.99 on Amazon! Going to dive in and enjoy more thrills from this latest jewel! ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
This is a fascinating start of a series starring Dominic Grey, a embassy official in Zimbabwe with a dark past and a reputation of flouting authority. He is assigned to the case involving the disappearance of an ex-diplomat and is forced into partnership with two individuals with equally dark pasts and murky motivations. As the trio delves deeper into the ancient African Yoruba religion, they confront evil mysteries that are grisly and unfathomable.

At times, this book almost becomes too macabre and disturbing but the fast moving action moves it along too fast to linger on these scenes. Zimbabwe provides a fascinating and chaotic setting and how the character interact with the culture and politics of the country adds substance to the book. I look forward to reading further books in the series. This book was a Goodreads Giveaway. ( )
  LissaJ | Nov 17, 2013 |
The Summoner is amazing. We are introduced to our new hero Special Agent Dominic Grey, of the Diplomatic Security in Zimbabwe, tasked with tracing a close friend of the Ambassador, who went missing in the middle of a Juju ceremony, in front of many chanting worshippers. The plot starts strong and doesn’t stop until its conclusion.

Layton Green clearly knows Zimbabwe well and did some thorough research. The writing style is excellent and vocabulary is refreshingly precise without being affected. I loved it and will read the next Dominic Grey story, The Egyptian, very soon. ( )
  christinelstanley | Oct 29, 2011 |
To my wife
The only thing Dominic Grey knew for certain about the disappearance of William Addison was that it was the strangest case to which he had ever been assigned.

The Summoner is one of those books that make you want to turn on all the lights in your house and lock the doors . . . The settings are authentic and you can feel and smell the countryside . . . This is a wonderful read for those who enjoy both suspense and action stories. A United States diplomat disappears in front of hundreds of onlookers while attending a religious ceremony in the bushveld of Zimbabwe. Dominic Grey, Diplomatic Security special agent, product of a violent childhood and a worn passport, is assigned to investigate. Aiding the investigation is Professor Viktor Radek, religious phenomenologist and expert on cults, and Nya Mashumba, the local government liaison. What Grey uncovers is a terrifying cult older than Western civilization, the harsh underbelly of a country in despair, a priest seemingly able to perform impossibilities, and the identity of the newest target. Himself . . . The Summoner is a stylish, haunting novel of mystery and suspense that will linger long after its ending.… (more)

Layton Green is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible