So Much Pretty: A Novel by Cara Hoffman

So Much Pretty: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Cara Hoffman

Member:katiecoyle
Title:So Much Pretty: A Novel
Authors:Cara Hoffman
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:novel, 2010s, American, murder, rape, feminist, teenage girl, read in 2012

So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman (2011)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (cafepithecus)
    cafepithecus: Another book about men who hate women, and the women who take them down.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (kirsty)

My rating should really be 3.5 stars but there are no halfsies on goodreads.

This book was all over the place, literally. There were multiple point of views and abrupt shifts between past and present events. Most of the narrative was focused on student-athlete Alice Piper and her involvement in an event that rocked the small town of Haeden, New York. The rest of the book dealt with the disappearance of Wendy White and the investigative journalist, Stacy Flynn, who got deeply wrapped up in her case. It's a distressing story and I found it hard to put down....I only wish it had a better ending.

I love how the goodreads giveaway program has been intoducing me to all these great new authors. Some time ago I had the good fortune to stumble upon Cara Hoffman's blog and it made me really interested in her upcoming novel. Lucky me her first book turned out to be part of the first reads program! I'm especially happy that this book brought me out of an unfortunate reading slump. It's like a pallet cleanser. Now I'm ready to immerse myself in something else.

Check out the author's blog: http://www.carahoffman.com/blog.htm ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
I thought this was going to be an interesting mystery but it was too all over the place for me. I didn't like the way it jumped from the present to 1992 then to 2004 and back. I felt like the story didn't even really get started until I was 3/4 of the way through the book. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Oct 7, 2013 |
Really an amazing story---as others have said--it just kept building. I listened to the audio and was so impressed with Aimee Bruneau---hearing a different voice for each of several characters, all by the same reader, is always very impressive and this audio pulled you right in and did not let go. And then there was Alice--providing a completely different presentation of a seemingly all too common part of the news. ( )
  nyiper | Jul 13, 2013 |
I loved the way this story kept building. The first few chapters, I was just feeling my way through...no idea what was going on. As the story was pieced together I was drawn further into the story, but still not sure what was going on. There were some parts/perspectives that I'm still not sure why they were included, but overall a very surprising story (you think it's one thing...it turns into something else). ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 18, 2013 |
I've mixed feelings about this book. Some parts of it were interesting and some parts, particularly the essays forming case evidence, caused me to start skimming the text. Not until the last 80 or so pages did I become really interested and then, I didn't want to put it down. I'm still a little unclear about the parents' and friends' political and ethical motivations but that's possibly because I might well have skimmed too much! ( )
1 vote Carolinejyoung | Mar 6, 2013 |
For Noah
They are looking for someone with blond or dark brown or black hair.

When she disappeared from her rural hometown, Wendy White was a sweet, family-oriented girl, a late bloomer who'd recently moved out on her own, with her first real boyfriend and a job waiting tables at the local tavern. It happens all the time — a woman goes missing, a family mourns, and the case remains unsolved.

Stacy Flynn is a reporter looking for her big break. She moved east from Cleveland, a city known for its violent crime, but that's the last thing she expected to cover in Haeden. This small, upstate New York town counts a dairy farm as its main employer and is home to families who've set down roots and never left — people who don't take kindly to outsiders. Flynn is researching the environmental impact of the dairy, and the way money flows outward like the chemical runoff, eventually poisoning those who live at the edges of its reach.

Five months after she disappeared, Wendy's body is found in a ditch just off one of Haeden's main roads. Suddenly, Flynn has a big story, but no one wants to talk to her. No one seems to think that Wendy's killer could still be among them. A drifter, they say. Someone "not from here."

Fifteen-year-old Alice Piper is an imaginative student with a genius IQ and strong ideals. The precocious, confident girl has stood out in Haeden since the day her eccentric hippie parents moved there from New York City, seeking a better life for their only child. When Alice reads Flynn's passionate article in the Haeden Free Press about violence against women — about the staggering number of women who are killed each day by people they know — she begins to connect the dots of Wendy's disappearance and death, leading her to make a choice — join the rest in turning a blind eye or risk getting involved. As Flynn and Alice separately observe the locals' failure to acknowledge a murderer in their midst. Alice's fate is forever entwined with Wendy's when a second crime rocks the town to its core.

Stylishly written, closely observed, and bracingly unexpected, So Much Pretty leads the reader into the treacherous psychology of denial, where the details of an event are already known, deeply and intuitively felt, but not yet admitted to, reconciled or revealed.

Five months after she disappeared, Wendy White's body is found in a ditch just off one of Haeden's main roads. Suddenly, reporter Stacy Flynn has a big story, but no one wants to talk to her in this small upstate New York town. Then fifteen-year-old Alice Piper, an imaginative student with a genius IQ and strong ideals, begins to connect the dots of Wendy's disappearance and death when a second crime rocks the town to its core.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible