An Optimist's Tour of the Future by Mark…

An Optimist's Tour of the Future (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Mark Stevenson

Member:SylviaC
Title:An Optimist's Tour of the Future
Authors:Mark Stevenson
Info:London : Profile, 2011.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:read 2012

An Optimist's Tour of the Future: One Curious Man Sets Out to Answer "What's Next?" by Mark Stevenson (2011)

Definitely an "optimist's tour", as it focussed almost exclusively on the positive aspects of all the technologies described. Mostly quite entertaining and readable. I had little interest in robotics or space travel, and I found the section on transhumanism disturbing. I learned more about several promising technologies, including some that were new to me. ( )
  SylviaC | Nov 10, 2012 |
A very interesting book that gives a whirlwind tour of future technologies that could change the world we live in. I paticularily enjoyed the wide range of subjects the author covers. He seems to have secured interviews with most of the big players in the various fields and then manages to let their enthusiasm and/or wisdom really shine through.

I highly recommend it to any one who is interested in the advance of technology. ( )
  sbarrow57 | Jul 27, 2011 |
It is good to read about the great things people are doing that little is actually said about. ( )
  simbacat | Jul 25, 2011 |
I'm a fan of using humor to explain science, but only when it's funny. And the frequent attempts at it in this look at the near-term future mostly just aren't. On the other hand, Stevenson scores some really amazing interviews, with the likes of George Church, Cynthia Breazeal, Eric Drexler, Vint Cerf, Wally Broecker, Mohamed Nasheed, Ray Kurzweil, Juan Enriquez, and John Seely Brown, among many others. ( )
  wanack | Mar 7, 2011 |

A guide to the future of civilization describes the author's travels in various world regions where he learned about climate-proof farming practices and breakthrough technologies with a potential for helping the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,931,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible