The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

The Last Werewolf (2011)

by Glen Duncan

888719,955 (3.64)1 / 198
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (delmas_coulee)
    The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon (MyriadBooks)
    Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For wolves with teeth, for mated pairs. The Last Werewolf is gritter and more explicit than the dreamy, lyrical The Silver Wolf but the writing and the horror of both of them is top notch.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Wolfsong by Amanda Prantera (generalkala)
    generalkala: An adult novel also about werewolves, in a similar literary style.

English (70)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
I kept hearing how this was an amazing book so I thought I would give it a shot. Jack is a 200 year old werewolf that is tired of living. He is targeted for death and he is fine with it since he ate the guy's dad. But everything changes when the vampires need him for something and Jack becomes a hot commodity. I found it interesting that vampires are allowed by treaty to keep their numbers at five thousand but werewolves are being wiped out. Everything that Jack even if he is in human form is really dictated by the wolf in him. Granted he has choices but takes the easy way out in his life by refusing to really connect with people. He will only have sex with women he doesn't like to cut himself off from love. I finished the book more to see which ending the writer was going to chose than because I was really wrapped up in the story.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Pretty good book about the last werewolf, those wanting to kill him, those wanting to save him, and the one who surprises him.
At times graphic, at times funny, the story over three lunar cycles by Jake Marlowe, the last werewolf. He is writing in his journal.
A switch to Talulla writing in the last chapters alerts the reader to Jake's fate.
Funniest line is a Star Wars joke:
"What do you call a small robot vampire? Nosferatu D2" ( )
  aimless22 | Jun 30, 2014 |
It reminded me of the moment in Revenge of the Nerds when Lewis declares that all nerds think about is sex. Over sexed and over written. Characters were charmless and it seems that the author may have never really spoken with a woman.

Not even a guilty pleasure. ( )
  pdill8 | May 13, 2014 |
With the death of the Berliner, Jake is the last living werewolf. With the next full moon, he will be hunted and he will be killed.

He’s actually rather looking forward to it. The centuries weigh heavily on him, he has little reason to go on living and even less actual inclination. Unfortunately, there are a number of people who would rather he didn’t go gently into the grave and are determined to keep him alive.

On the first page of this book we have the following quote:

“I sipped, swallowed, glimpsed the peat bog plashing white legs of the kilted clan Macallan as the whisky kindled in my chest. It’s official. You’re the last. I’m sorry. I’d known what he was going to tell me. Now that he had, what? Vague ontological vertigo. Kubrick’s astronaut with the severed umbilicus spinning away all alone into infinity … At a certain point one’s imagination refused. The phrase was: It doesn’t bear thinking about. Manifestly it didn’t.”

Which is excellent, I applaud – I mean, really, the publisher might as well have put a sticker on the front page declaring “Warning: Horrendously Overwritten Pretentious Crap Lurks Within!”

But first, let me cover some positives:

I liked several elements of Harley. He was a non-stereotypical gay man – his life was seedy and dark, but this whole book is seedy and dark. He was interesting and he had genuine affection for Jake who, in turn, genuinely cared for him. Does that affection result in Harley being exploited as we see with many gay friends of straight people in fiction? Yes it does – but surprisingly Jake even acknowledges that:

“Harley, a man who’d devoted his life to my protection, who’d loved me, whose love I’d exploited when it suited and stonewalled when it didn’t…”

Does it make a trope ok that it is acknowledged? No, but it helps a lot, especially when the wrongness of it is recognised. Of course, Harley is also repeatedly victimised in this book and, ultimately, his unpleasant fate is some extra grist for Jake’s eternal angst – but until then he’s a good, humanised character with a real connection.

Secondly, I like how every character is humanised – even the prostitutes that Jake sleeps with (because he is punishing himself never to know love but has the absolutely-mandatory-in-fiction werewolf horniness) have large rambling insights to what makes them people, turning them into more than sex objects. Some of the insight truly opens up a character – like Jake’s ex-wife so full of self-assurance and standing above the slut-shaming she experiences to live life the way she wishes, on her terms.

The same applies to his victims – which brings us to another element I like – the world building and the concepts. The werewolves as monsters is always good to revisit, the blurred morality of this book and the question of whose side we should be on is a new twist and I especially love the idea of werewolves consuming lives, living the experiences of their victims in the utmost detail, humanising every one they eat.

This book also does an excellent job of portraying the ennui of a long life. Of how the centuries of existence blur together, how nothing is new, how there is so little of interest left, how everything is just a new version of an old thing. I have never seen a book that expressed so well the sheer, painful wait of centuries of experience.

Right – all of these are good – but all of these are expressed in the most over written, convoluted style I have ever read. Ever. Literally, this is the most impenetrable prose I’ve ever had to try and mine through.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Apr 24, 2014 |
Jake Marlowe is reported to be the last werewolf. Over 200 years old, healthy, Jake has slipped into a deep depression, considers taking his own life and ending the werewolf legend An anti-occult group has vowed to destroy him for sport and a group of vampires want to keep him alive for selfish reasons (a werewolf bite allows them to go out into the light.) But something happens—Jake may not be the only living werewolf after all. I wanted to like The Last Werewolf. It’s an intriguing premise for a story. However after the first 100 pages I could hardly tolerate the pretentious writing style. Jake as a character was just a bit too pompous and I found after a while I really disliked him as a narrator (frankly I would have been happy if he had just ended things). I kept plodding on and did finish the novel. The ending, when a new character is introduced redeemed the novel slightly for me. However, I really have no interest in reading the 2 remaining books of this trilogy. 1 ½ out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Mar 28, 2014 |
It is a horror that never shies from the human side of lycanthropy; it is a disquisition on the nature of werewolf stories; it is a sublime study in literary elegance. It is bloody (and) brilliant.

For Pete and Eva
"It's official," Harley said. "They killed the Berliner two nights ago. You're the last."

Then she opened her mouth to scream—and recognised me. It was what I’d been waiting for. She froze. She looked into my eyes. She said, “It’s you.”

Meet Jake. A bit on the elderly side (he turns 201 in March), but you’d never suspect it. Nonstop sex and exercise will do that for you—and a diet with lots of animal protein. Jake is a werewolf, and after the unfortunate and violent death of his one contemporary, he is now the last of his species. Although he is physically healthy, Jake is deeply distraught and lonely.

Jake’s depression has carried him to the point where he is actually contemplating suicide—even if it means terminating a legend thousands of years old. It would seem to be easy enough for him to end everything. But for very different reasons there are two dangerous groups pursuing him who will stop at nothing to keep him alive.

Here is a powerful, definitive new version of the werewolf legend—mesmerising and incredibly sexy. In Jake, Glen Duncan has given us a werewolf for the twenty-first century—a man whose deeds can only be described as monstrous but who is in some magical way deeply human.

One of the most original, audacious, and terrifying novels in years.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:17 -0400)

Rendered the last of his kind after a colleague's death, two-hundred-year-old werewolf Jake struggles with depression and contemplates suicide until powerful forces that have personal agendas and the power to keep him alive take over his life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible