The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

The Last Werewolf (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Glen Duncan

1,051848,009 (3.6)1 / 207
Member:Magus_Manders
Title:The Last Werewolf
Authors:Glen Duncan
Info:Knopf (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:New, Gift, 21st Century, English, Fantasy, Novel, Werewolf, Meta-Fiction, Paranormal, Horror, Urban Fantasy

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan (2011)

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (MyriadBooks)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (delmas_coulee)
    The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For wolves with teeth, for mated pairs. The Last Werewolf is gritter and more explicit than the dreamy, lyrical The Silver Wolf but the writing and the horror of both of them is top notch.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Wolfsong by Amanda Prantera (generalkala)
    generalkala: An adult novel also about werewolves, in a similar literary style.

English (83)  Italian (1)  All languages (84)
I just got my copy!!! The book seems very promising!! Normally I'm used to vampires living for 200 years not werewolves! So the book seems new! And it's written by a guy which isn't what I'm used to in this genre!
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I am no prude, but when I got to yet another description of anal sex, I put this one down. I mean, good grief, we get it already: werewolves like sex. Putting this stinker on my "do not bother" list. Because I hated it so much, I'm pretty sure Hollywood will turn it into a movie. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Fabulous writing! I took my time to devour each word. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
visceral and blunt. oftentimes tiptoeing the line between sexy and offensive, yet still erotic. gory, bloody, unapologetic. this is not your grandmother's werewolf story. i found myself wishing the copy i was reading was my own, as i often wanted to make notes in the margins and underline something on almost every page. ( )
  cyrenitis | Dec 2, 2015 |
Jake is the last werewolf, at least that is what he thinks. But while he is deciding whether he wants to live any longer (maybe 400 years is enough), the Hunters are trying to kill him even as the vampires are trying to keep him alive. And that is pretty much the story. This author seems to be in love with language, and uses paragraphs where a sentence would do. To say he is verbose is an understatement. But that being said, if what he wrote had even been interesting, the novel might be worth reading. Unfortunately, it was not. Even more unfortunately for me, this novel was a book club selection, and so I was compelled to read it. And that was the only reason I finished it. If only I were like some of the smarter members of my club who decided that there are too many good reads out there to bother with this one. ( )
  Maydacat | Nov 26, 2015 |
It is a horror that never shies from the human side of lycanthropy; it is a disquisition on the nature of werewolf stories; it is a sublime study in literary elegance. It is bloody (and) brilliant.

For Pete and Eva
"It's official," Harley said. "They killed the Berliner two nights ago. You're the last."

Then she opened her mouth to scream—and recognised me. It was what I’d been waiting for. She froze. She looked into my eyes. She said, “It’s you.”

Meet Jake. A bit on the elderly side (he turns 201 in March), but you’d never suspect it. Nonstop sex and exercise will do that for you—and a diet with lots of animal protein. Jake is a werewolf, and after the unfortunate and violent death of his one contemporary, he is now the last of his species. Although he is physically healthy, Jake is deeply distraught and lonely.

Jake’s depression has carried him to the point where he is actually contemplating suicide—even if it means terminating a legend thousands of years old. It would seem to be easy enough for him to end everything. But for very different reasons there are two dangerous groups pursuing him who will stop at nothing to keep him alive.

Here is a powerful, definitive new version of the werewolf legend—mesmerising and incredibly sexy. In Jake, Glen Duncan has given us a werewolf for the twenty-first century—a man whose deeds can only be described as monstrous but who is in some magical way deeply human.

One of the most original, audacious, and terrifying novels in years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:33 -0400)

Rendered the last of his kind after a colleague's death, two-hundred-year-old werewolf Jake struggles with depression and contemplates suicide until powerful forces that have personal agendas and the power to keep him alive take over his life.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible