The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

The Last Werewolf (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Glen Duncan

856None10,428 (3.68)1 / 192
Member:Magus_Manders
Title:The Last Werewolf
Authors:Glen Duncan
Info:Knopf (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:New, Gift, 21st Century, English, Fantasy, Novel, Werewolf, Meta-Fiction, Paranormal, Horror, Urban Fantasy

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan (2011)

2011 (18) 2012 (15) audiobook (6) British (11) contemporary (5) ebook (20) England (6) fantasy (56) fiction (110) goodreads (6) horror (56) Kindle (17) last werewolf (6) library (6) novel (12) paranormal (29) read (14) read in 2011 (9) read in 2012 (9) sex (7) speculative fiction (6) supernatural (21) suspense (5) thriller (12) to-read (40) unread (10) urban fantasy (24) vampires (34) werewolves (95) wishlist (6)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (delmas_coulee)
    The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon (MyriadBooks)
    Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For wolves with teeth, for mated pairs. The Last Werewolf is gritter and more explicit than the dreamy, lyrical The Silver Wolf but the writing and the horror of both of them is top notch.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Wolfsong by Amanda Prantera (generalkala)
    generalkala: An adult novel also about werewolves, in a similar literary style.

English (67)  Italian (1)  All languages (68)
Jake Marlowe is reported to be the last werewolf. Over 200 years old, healthy, Jake has slipped into a deep depression, considers taking his own life and ending the werewolf legend An anti-occult group has vowed to destroy him for sport and a group of vampires want to keep him alive for selfish reasons (a werewolf bite allows them to go out into the light.) But something happens—Jake may not be the only living werewolf after all. I wanted to like The Last Werewolf. It’s an intriguing premise for a story. However after the first 100 pages I could hardly tolerate the pretentious writing style. Jake as a character was just a bit too pompous and I found after a while I really disliked him as a narrator (frankly I would have been happy if he had just ended things). I kept plodding on and did finish the novel. The ending, when a new character is introduced redeemed the novel slightly for me. However, I really have no interest in reading the 2 remaining books of this trilogy. 1 ½ out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Mar 28, 2014 |
"Fuck, kill, eat!" So says Jacob Marlow is the mantra of the lycanthrope, and this is his story. The biography of the last werewolf, sought after by the members of WOCOP, who have taken out, one at a time, the rest of his kind.

This is not a "sparkly" werewolf story full of cuteness and pretty creatures. Its a gritty story about a suicidal werewolf that has lived too long, or so he thinks.

I found myself both liking and being annoyed with this book. Most of my annoyance was at an excessive wordiness and a need to exhibit that he knew a lot of big words. As much as I appreciate the English language and the massive pool of words that can be pulled from, the fact is that it begins to come across as an insecure need to prove oneself when you overuse large and elaborate words. Its also writing down to your readership.

That said, Mr. Duncan also has a very lovely style of writing when he wants to describe the more tender affections and feelings. I was swept away a couple of times with his tales of the time with his wife. Added to that, the stark contrast of the creature of primal necessity he becomes once a month.

Its nice to see that there are still those that portray the creatures of nightmare tales like werewolves for what they are, terrifying vicious creatures that unlike the current Twilight genre, cannot become what they are not and deny their true nature. They kill. They kill humans. The wolf doesn't hold the same morals as the human. At the time of the full moon, the wolf rules. I would recommend this book. Its worth suffering through the strained and overly verbose passages. ( )
  sephibitchwitch | Mar 23, 2014 |
After several weeks of reading light fantasy, I really needed to get into some serious books. The Last Werewolf, by Glen Ducan, came at the perfect time. The writing grabbed my attention and held it until I read so much that my eyes were sore, and the narrative tone is witty and interesting, fluid and enjoyable. It almost felt as if Ducan was telling the story to a group of friends, with such a beauty of language that everyone was hypnotised until he finished.

The good: The Last Werewolf starts with the title character being told that he is indeed the last werewolf. Rather than picking the monstrous side alone, Ducan portrays a character who is both human and an animal (or monster, if you prefer). You see him and all the other characters live and react, and you care for them. Their behaviours are very deep and make the book worth being read if only for the characters.

The bad: It's another werewolf story. Yes, the story takes a new perspective and fluid style, but vampires and werewolves are starting to be too mainstream for me. The imagery was sometimes excessively gory for my taste (I admit I skipped a scene or two). The literary descriptions were sometimes too far-fetched and strange, but that was not too frequent. However, I liked the winks the protagonist gives to the imaginary nature of werewolves; a smart way of standing out in a crowded genre.

Read the full review on Becker's Book Reviews: http://sylbecke.blogspot.com/2014/03/book-review-last-werewolf-by-glen-duncan.ht... ( )
  sylbecke | Feb 23, 2014 |
I loved the first half. The midpoint revelation have me a strange feeling that things would get even better, or much worse; in the end, I think the second half is just, not as good. The ending feels a bit like a cliffhanger. Lots of unresolved stuff. If I'd known it was the first in some kind of series I might have hesitated. We'll see. ( )
  labcoatman | Feb 6, 2014 |
An astoundingly well written novel that breaks out genre stereotypes and any other expectations I had for it. Definitely not for the weak of heart (and stomach) The Last Werewolf is wickedly dark and cruel, the characters seem to be overflowing with humanity and the author seems to lack any fear of going to unfathomable depths of emotion and desire. ( )
  jakegest | Dec 24, 2013 |
It is a horror that never shies from the human side of lycanthropy; it is a disquisition on the nature of werewolf stories; it is a sublime study in literary elegance. It is bloody (and) brilliant.

For Pete and Eva
"It's official," Harley said. "They killed the Berliner two nights ago. You're the last."

Then she opened her mouth to scream—and recognised me. It was what I’d been waiting for. She froze. She looked into my eyes. She said, “It’s you.”

Meet Jake. A bit on the elderly side (he turns 201 in March), but you’d never suspect it. Nonstop sex and exercise will do that for you—and a diet with lots of animal protein. Jake is a werewolf, and after the unfortunate and violent death of his one contemporary, he is now the last of his species. Although he is physically healthy, Jake is deeply distraught and lonely.

Jake’s depression has carried him to the point where he is actually contemplating suicide—even if it means terminating a legend thousands of years old. It would seem to be easy enough for him to end everything. But for very different reasons there are two dangerous groups pursuing him who will stop at nothing to keep him alive.

Here is a powerful, definitive new version of the werewolf legend—mesmerising and incredibly sexy. In Jake, Glen Duncan has given us a werewolf for the twenty-first century—a man whose deeds can only be described as monstrous but who is in some magical way deeply human.

One of the most original, audacious, and terrifying novels in years.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:17 -0400)

Rendered the last of his kind after a colleague's death, two-hundred-year-old werewolf Jake struggles with depression and contemplates suicide until powerful forces that have personal agendas and the power to keep him alive take over his life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible