The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

The Throne of Fire (2011)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (2)

Great! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
If you liked the first one, this one is better. If you are looking for something on par with the Percy Jackson series, this is lacking. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The second book in the Kane Chronicles. Carter and Sadie Kane, magicians with the blood of Egyptian pharaohs, know that Aphophis is about to rise and if that happens chaos will destroy the world. To stop that from happening Carter and Sadie go on a quest to awaken the sun god Ra. A good installment in the series. I enjoyed the introduction of some of the new gods, especially Bes the dwarf god. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Very exited to see my local setting of Crystal Palace used, but these still aren't living up to their Greek and Roman counterparts. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
Carter and Sadie Kane are back. They have collected a small group of young magicians and they have come to the decision that they must go on a quest for the Book of Ra to awaken Ra to fight with Apophis. Both the House of Life and many of the Egyptian Gods believe that Sadie and Carter are making a mistake so they have plenty of people trying to stop them along the way.

I don't know what it was but this one just felt a lot more like the Percy Jackson series to me. I don't know if it was the extra recruits or the need to go on a quest but I was just really frustrated with it. The things that make this story different for Percy Jackson felt like surface things and I didn't enjoy this volume as much as the first one.

I also felt like Sadie was just acting way too old for her actual age in this one. I understand that she turns thirteen but she acts like she is already in high school and it's a tiny bit of a turn off to me. If I didn't know she was supposed to only be thirteen I don't think it would bother me as much.

I still found the Egyptian mythology really interesting and I loved many of the new gods that were introduced. I was also really happy to find out that this series is only a trilogy. Even though I found this one disappointing in a few ways I will definitely be reading the last one. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Conner and Maggie, the Riordan family's great brother-sister team
Carter here.

Excerpt from the dust jacket: "Ever since the gods of ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the House of Life, the Kanes have some powers at their command; but the devious gods haven't given them time to master their skills at Brooklyn House; a training ground for young magicians. And now their most threatening enemy yet - the Chaos snake, Apophis - is rising. If they don't prevent him from breaking free in a few days' time, the world will end. In other words, it's a typical week for the Kane family."

Carter Kane and his sister must prevent the chaos snake Apophis from breaking free in a few days' time or the world will come to an end. To have any chance of battling these Forces of Chaos, the Kanes must revive the sun god Ra.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible