The Sisters Club: Cloudy with a Chance of…

The Sisters Club: Cloudy with a Chance of Boys

by Megan McDonald

This book was a great comedy/love story/sisterly book and I can't wait to read the next. ( )
  SRaval | Mar 27, 2013 |
While older sister Alex is trying to orchestrate a perfect first kiss with her heartthrob and younger sister Joey prefers frogs to boys, Stevie Reel wonders if she is ready for a boyfriend while being pursued by a new boy in her class. ( )
  prkcs | Apr 9, 2012 |
Three sisters wish upon a fire on a stormy night, and experience varying stages of adolescence alongside their sisters. The middle sister in early junior high primarily narrates the story, with interludes from the other two sisters. These note book scribblings and script-styled dialogue jut into the narrative, and whether a reader will appreciate them is a matter of personal taste. While some may find interludes about fortune telling or spy codes fun or cool, they help elongate a light tween read into a book rather long for its content. Still, the characters are ones the reading audience can relate to, and their varying ages allows different aged readers to associate themselves with different sister’s opinions throughout the book. Also, the problems these characters face are relevant to a tween audience, such as working on a science project with a boy or not getting the lead in the school play. This is mostly a first crush and first kiss story, which may be somewhat premature for some but on-topic for others. Also included in this book are numerous Shakespeare references, some of which are not appropriate for elementary school children unfamiliar with the great playwright. This chapter book is recommended for a female tween audience ages nine to eleven. ( )
  Jessie_Bear | Nov 29, 2011 |
If I had to limit my review to one word, I would say this book is "cute." It didn't do a whole lot for me, but it was still an enjoyable read. Obviously, I am way out of the intended target group to find much in common with this book, but I can see why my students held it hostage for so long. I haven't been able to read it until now because it was constantly going missing off the book shelf.

Basically, you have three very chumming sisters who wish for something "amazing" to happen on a stormy night. Since the ages vary, the "amazing" thing also varies for each sister. I loved how the youngest sister, Joey, was disgusted by boys. Her wish was to see a rare blue tree frog. Stevie, the middle sister doesn't have a clear idea of what she wants, so she just wants something new and exciting. She doesn't count on that including a new boy that has a crush on her. Alex, the oldest, is already interested in boys and wants to get her first kiss. You can guess what her wish is.

It was pretty straight forward and predictable. I liked the little sketches added in by Joey. They were a funny addition. I also liked the fortune telling sock monkey. Those conversations were pretty funny-- perfect for a tween's sense of humor.

This book fits in well with a 10-12 year old girl's reading. I know for a fact that this particular age group loves this book. I've witnessed that first hand. It was a good, clean book. Two simple (and hilarious) kiss scenes are about as "trashy" as you'll find. ( )
  flashlight_reader | Jul 18, 2011 |

The forecast calls for a first crush after Stevie makes a wish for something new and daring in this authentic, funny Sisters Club adventure.

As the middle sister in a family with three girls, Stevie Reel doesn’t know much about boys, and that’s always been just fine with her. But lately, things have been changing: kids at school are starting to pair up, and Owen, the new boy in her Earth Science class, seems to have his sights set on Stevie. The trouble is, Stevie doesn’t want a boyfriend- she’s not even sure she’s ready to have a boy friend. And her sisters, who know exactly where they stand on the issue of boys, are no help: drama queen Alex is busy trying to orchestrate a perfect, Romeo-and-Juliet-style first kiss from her heartthrob, Scott Towel (er, Howell), while Joey can’t understand why anyone would like a boy better than a frog anyway. If only figuring out boys were as easy as predicting the weather!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:43 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible