It Happened On the Way to War: A…

It Happened On the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace

by Rye Barcott

Little Princes by Conor Grennan (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both these book are about young men who see a need, have a vision to correct it, and commit their time, money, effort, and heart to do so.
    There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Her Country's Children by Melissa Fay Greene (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both books are about people who see a need in Africa and go about fixing it.

I am fascinated by books about how a single person can have a major impact on the work (Three Cups of Tea and Mountains beyond Mountains are favorites of mine). This books tells the story of the author and his work in Kibera, Kenya—one of the worst slums in the world. As an ROTC marine in college at UNC, he begins a program to help Kibera. Eventually, what he started grows and has a real impact. The book starts out great and really held my interest. The latter parts of the book, however, deal more with his disillusionment as he serves with the marines in Iraq. Though still interesting, it is not nearly as compelling. It took some effort to complete, but I felt it was worth doing so. This book is worth reading to understand what impact people, even young people can have if they are willing to make sacrifices and work hard. ( )
  wbc3 | Nov 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am in awe of Rye Barcott and his book, "It Happened on the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace. This memoir tells the story of Barcott , young college grad and soon to be a Marine and his fortuitous journey to Kiberra -- one of the worst slums in Africa. Barcott wanted to research ethnic violence. Once there, Barcott develops the nonprofit, Carolina for Kiberra with the whopping sum of 26 dollars! This memoir tells the duel story of the development of the nonprofit and its amazing accomplishments along with the development of Barcott as a Marine and the predicaments of keeping the two goals separate but equal. Barcott has told an amazing true story-- he gives me inspiration in our next generation. ( )
  motivatedmomma | Oct 17, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book and I wasn't sure if I would. It was very well written and thought provoking. It seemed like an honest and relatable book. I think I might be able to get my husband to read this book, which would be quite an accomplishment! ( )
  hippygirl26 | Sep 22, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My favorite things placed in one book, The Marine Corps, Sub-Saharan Africa and and NGO that works with hurting children. I wanted so badly to loved this book but have been unable to stay interested long enough to finish it.
  savedbyhisblood | Sep 16, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In It Happened on the Way to War: A Marine’s Path to Peace, Rye Barcott tells of his efforts to found and run an NGO in Kibera, a slum in Nairobi (Kenya), as well as his 5 years of service in the US Marines. Like others who reviewed his book, I found parts of his memoir to be fascinating, particularly the descriptions of Kibera and the people who befriended him and helped to create his organization, Carolina for Kibera (CFK). However, also like others, I found long passages to be boring. (This is a book I kept setting down and starting again after a week or so). I also found it difficult to understand the connection between the very different worlds of the military and his humanitarian efforts in Kibera, despite the chapter he devoted to an explanation.

Barcott’s initial purpose in going to Kibera seemed to be very naïve and not well thought out. He had originally planned to go to Rwanda, but was unable to because of internal strife in that country. On the advice of a college professor, he therefore decided to go to Kenya and do research on ethnic violence. Barcott does not explain how he was going to conduct the research and how he was going to use the information he obtained. It seemed more like a youth’s desire for adventure then a carefully planned research trip. In addition, his descriptions of the accomplishments of his organization are vague and incomplete. For example, his account of how CFK formed a girl’s center against gender - based violence is summarized in a single sentence, almost as an afterthought.

Any criticisms of the book ought not to detract from what Mr. Barcott reportedly accomplished over the course of more than a decade in Kibera. His organization funded a much - needed medical clinic, started a soccer team, encouraged efforts to clean the slum of trash, and developed leadership among youth of Kibera. He changed the lives of many people living in one of the worst slums in the world and for that he should be heartily applauded. ( )
3 vote joyceBl | Sep 4, 2011 |
I found this to be a beautiful uplifting story. One of the kind that makes you want to do something. A story that makes you realize one person can change the lives of many in a positive way. I highly recommend this book.
added by hays1981 | editLibrarything, Haylwy McDaniel (Jul 24, 2011)

Traces the author's visit to Nairobi to gain better understanding of ethnic violence, describing the friendships with a widowed nurse and a community organizer with whom he built the leadership development organization Carolina for Kibera.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

It Happened on the Way to War by Rye Barcott was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,305,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible