It Happened On the Way to War: A Marine's…

It Happened On the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace [Hardcover] (edition 2011)

by Rye Barcott

10319117,210 (4.13)5
Member:wbc3
Title:It Happened On the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace [Hardcover]
Authors:Rye Barcott
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2011), Unknown Binding
Rating:***1/2

It Happened On the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace by Rye Barcott

Little Princes by Conor Grennan (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both these book are about young men who see a need, have a vision to correct it, and commit their time, money, effort, and heart to do so.
    There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Her Country's Children by Melissa Fay Greene (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both books are about people who see a need in Africa and go about fixing it.

I really enjoyed this book - surprising to me because the last book I read about an American traveling to third world countries to "do good" was awful (don't read Ashley Judd's memoir)! Even though I grew up in a very mission-minded church, I had not heard of Kibera in Kenya and was glad to have the chance to learn more about Nairobi's slums. I found Rye Barcott's style very engaging and he did not spend too much time "tooting his own horn" but rather describing the people he met and bringing us alongside with caring about them.

One criticism I do have is that I would have liked to know more details about how he ended up in the Marines in the first place. He did spend a few pages talking about his upbringing but I couldn't quite put my finger on why the Marines instead of a non-profit. I did appreciate his internal struggles between his two responsibilities and maybe this book will encourage other men and women who have served in the armed forces and loved the country they served in, to return to it after the fact to make positive change.

**I was given a free copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my review** ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |

olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
I am fascinated by books about how a single person can have a major impact on the work (Three Cups of Tea and Mountains beyond Mountains are favorites of mine). This books tells the story of the author and his work in Kibera, Kenya—one of the worst slums in the world. As an ROTC marine in college at UNC, he begins a program to help Kibera. Eventually, what he started grows and has a real impact. The book starts out great and really held my interest. The latter parts of the book, however, deal more with his disillusionment as he serves with the marines in Iraq. Though still interesting, it is not nearly as compelling. It took some effort to complete, but I felt it was worth doing so. This book is worth reading to understand what impact people, even young people can have if they are willing to make sacrifices and work hard. ( )
  wbc3 | Nov 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am in awe of Rye Barcott and his book, "It Happened on the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace. This memoir tells the story of Barcott , young college grad and soon to be a Marine and his fortuitous journey to Kiberra -- one of the worst slums in Africa. Barcott wanted to research ethnic violence. Once there, Barcott develops the nonprofit, Carolina for Kiberra with the whopping sum of 26 dollars! This memoir tells the duel story of the development of the nonprofit and its amazing accomplishments along with the development of Barcott as a Marine and the predicaments of keeping the two goals separate but equal. Barcott has told an amazing true story-- he gives me inspiration in our next generation. ( )
  motivatedmomma | Oct 17, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book and I wasn't sure if I would. It was very well written and thought provoking. It seemed like an honest and relatable book. I think I might be able to get my husband to read this book, which would be quite an accomplishment! ( )
  hippygirl26 | Sep 22, 2011 |
I found this to be a beautiful uplifting story. One of the kind that makes you want to do something. A story that makes you realize one person can change the lives of many in a positive way. I highly recommend this book.
added by hays1981 | editLibrarything, Haylwy McDaniel (Jul 24, 2011)

Traces the author's visit to Nairobi to gain better understanding of ethnic violence, describing the friendships with a widowed nurse and a community organizer with whom he built the leadership development organization Carolina for Kibera.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

It Happened on the Way to War by Rye Barcott was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible