Stormbringer (Elric Saga, Bk. 6) by Michael…

Stormbringer (Elric Saga, Bk. 6) (original 1965; edition 1977)

by Michael Moorcock

Feared by enemies and friends alike, Elric of Melnibone walks a lonely path among the worlds of the multiverse. The destroyer of his own cruel and ancient race, as well as its final ruler, Elric is the bearer of a destiny as dark and cursed as the vampiric sword he carries - the sentient black blade known as Stormbringer. Containing the novel which perhaps did the most to propel Elric to the forefront of the fantasy genre, along with associated short stories and other material, this volume is a vital part of any fantasy reader's library. With an introduction by Tad Williams, this collection presents Moorcock's greatest creation in a revised and approved order.… (more)
Member:anahcrow
Title:Stormbringer (Elric Saga, Bk. 6)
Authors:Michael Moorcock
Info:DAW (1977), Paperback

Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock (1965)

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
Un buen final para esta saga de Elric de Melniboné.
Para amantes de la fantasía heróica; a conocer.

Mi reseña completa aquí. ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
Stormbringer is the tale of Elric, last king of faded Melniboné, who must once more pick up his evil and sentient runesword Stormbringer in an almost hopeless effort to save the world from ultimate Chaos. Moorcock delivers fast-paced action on a grand scale, rapidly moving from battle to battle, with some gods and demons put in for good measure. It is good if undemanding fun, but one senses that Moorcock is trying to achieve effects that he never quite pulls off. The personal tragedies that the protagonist experiences are surely meant to stir the reader’s emotions, but the characters are underdeveloped and often little more than cyphers. In the same vein, the book spends quite some time talking about the cosmic balance between Law and Chaos, but the theories expounded are both confused and shallow. Stormbringer never rises above the level of an enjoyable fantasy romp.

It is unfortunate that this enjoyment is sometimes diminished by sloppy or lazy writing. Here is a particularly bad example: ‘Stormbringer radiated an evil poison which more than slew Elric’s attackers – it drank their souls[...]’ “Evil poison” is a metaphor that manages to be both forced and clichéd; and how poison can be “radiated” is a mystery only matched by the mystery of how it can drink something. I was also fascinated to read about a room that extended into dimensions that were spaceless and timeless – mr. Moorcock evidently knowing about kinds of extension that I have never dreamt about. The book, then, is best enjoyed with one’s critical faculties turned off or at least toned down… which is not true about the works of better writers, among whom, I believe, mister Moorcock at other times might be ranked. ( )
  victorgijsbers | Apr 15, 2018 |
I hadn't remembered that this book was about the End of the World, not just Elric's end. So it was definitely a different tone for me than the previous books.

Blast those Pan Tang'ians :) Always causing trouble...
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
In part one, "The Coming of Chaos", Elric meets Sepiriz, the servant of Fate, and battles against Jagreen Lern, the High Theocrat of Pan Tang. As if that wasn't enough, he must banish several of the Higher Lords of Hell including his own beloved Arioch. And a glorious cherry on top of this Herculean sundae, he must also slay the previously Dead God.

In "The Sad Giant's Shield", Elric, Moonglum, Dyvim Slorm and Rackhir the Red Archer travel to acquire the shield of Chaos, necessary for Elric to stand against Jagreen Lern's armies of Chaos. They find the shield, slay its current owner and head back into the battle. Unfortunately, Stormbringer claims Rackhir's soul for its own. After returning and dispersing Jagreen Lern's unholy armada, Elric finds Zarozinia who has been warped by Chaos. She impales herself on Stormbringer, wishing to give Elric some portion of her for all eternity.

In the final book, "Doomed Lord's Passing", Elric performs the actions required by the Lords of Law to allow them to enter the realm of Earth to do battle with the Lords of Chaos. The final battle ensues, with Law defeating Chaos, ushering in a new age for Earth. Elric captures Jagreen Lern, and kills him in the old-fashioned Melniboean way - very slowly. Then, to finally introduce Earth's new age, Elric must blow the Horn of Fate but the horn requires much vitality to sound. Moonglum kills himself on Stormbringer, giving Elric enough energy to initiate Earth's new age.

And then, as Elric, the last man on earth sits there watching a new age dawn, Stormbringer slays him. As it was always meant to be. ( )
  helver | Aug 4, 2012 |

Moorcock, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cawthorn, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaughan, JackCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gould, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J. G. Ballard, whose enthusiasm for Elric gave me the courage to begin this particular book, my first attempt at a full-length novel, and for Jim Cawthorn, whose illustrations based on my ideas in turn gave me insipration for certain scenes in this book, and for Dave Britton, who kept the magazines in which the serial first appeared and who kindly loaned them to me so that I could restore this novel to its original shape and length.
For HILARY
There came a time when there was great movement upon the Earth and above it, when the destiny of Men and Gods was hammered out upon the forge of Fate, when monstrous wars were brewed and mighty deeds were designed.
He was suspicious of pattern, disliking shape, for he did not trust it. To him, life was chaotic, chance-dominated, unpredictable, It was a trick, an illusion of the mind, to be able to see a pattern to it.
"In these tragic times," he said, "there's little room for love-play and kind words. Love must be deep and strong, manifesting itself in our actions. Seek no courtly words from me, Zarozinia, but remember earlier nights when the only turbulence was our pulse-beats blending."
"If we are the toys of the gods -- are not the gods themselves mere children?"
"Logic! The world cries for logic. I have none, yet here I am, formed as a man with mind, heart and vitals, yet formed by a chance coming together of certain elements. The world needs logic. Yet all the logic in the world is worth as much as one lucky guess. Men take pains to weave a web of careful thoughts -- yet others thoughlessly weave a random pattern and achieve the same result. So much for the thoughts of the sage."
Time has stopped. Time waits. But waits for what? More confusion, further disorder?
This is a novel. There is an omnibus with the same name which contains this novel. Please do not combine the two.  Also, please do not combine this with the graphic novel (illustrated by P. Craig Russell) of the same name; the texts are substantially different and they constitute different works.

The final book in the Elric sequence (by its internal chronology). (Not to be confused with the Millennium omnibus of the same name!)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,750,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible