The Morganville Vampires, Vol. 3 (Lord of…

The Morganville Vampires, Vol. 3 (Lord of Misrule / Carpe Corpus) (edition 2011)

by Rachel Caine

Member:Alandriel
Title:The Morganville Vampires, Vol. 3 (Lord of Misrule / Carpe Corpus)
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Trade (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 464 pages

The Morganville Vampires, Books 5-6 by Rachel Caine

It's been a while since I read these, and I've read far beyond this one, so separating them out is a bit confusing. The Bishop story arc isn't my favorite part of the series, but I love the series in general. I didn't like seeing Claire trapped by the book and having everything thrown upside-down. ( )
  the1butterfly | Aug 3, 2014 |
RATING: 3 stars, almost 3.5 except I was really annoyed in some parts.

This book (which is actually two books, "Lord of Misrule" and "Carpe Corpus") neatly wraps up the current story 'arc' in the Morganville vampire series.

In book 4 (or if you want to be technical, at the end of book 3), Mr. Bishop, Amelie's vampire (and apparently real as well) father appeared in Morganville for reasons mostly unknown (still) and promptly started to create havoc. He dethroned Amelie and turned Morganville into a mini-dictatorship.

These books, just like the first four are consistently ok-ish. Which should be a deterrent for me to keep buying the rest of the series. But somehow it isn't. That is mostly because while Caine likes to make readers think they have bought a full novel when in fact they've bought a short-story, she does know how to write a book in a way that will keep you hooked. She has, for the lack of a better word or expression, a great sense of pacing. Her books may lack content, proper character, story and world development but they are very (and I mean very) well paced.

That is the series' strongest point. As for characters? Still mostly walking clichés and not nearly as well developed as they should be by book 6 in a series. Some of them were so stereotypical I just had to roll my eyes at them... like Mr Bishop... he was a "mwahaha, I'm so evil" sort of villain. No depth.

The story was stretched by six books when it could have been told in two (or for marketing reasons... make it a trilogy).

The world building is weak at best, with many questions still unanswered and some inconsistencies popping up from book to book. Like, at first Amelie was the oldest vampire in the book/world and then Mr Bishop appeared out of nowhere and he is possibly the oldest... the justification for this was murky at best but mostly, just plain unbelievable.

Overall, this series is, as I said before, consistently mediocre. Which isn't very flattering. But! But it's one of those series that will keep you reading because the pacing is great, the writing is good enough and the core idea is interesting... and you're always hoping the author finally develops her world and explains things. Recommended for light, beach reading. Not the best YA series ever, but I've read worse. It's... ok. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Lord of Misrule - 4 stars

Carpe Corpus - 4 stars

I liked both of these books. The characters are interesting and well developed. The story line is engrossing and the pace is still just right for me. ( )
  ladonna37 | Sep 16, 2011 |
Morganville Vampires Volume 3 (ISBN 0451233557) is an omnibus of books 5 and 6 in the same series, it is not the same work as Midnight Alley, Morganville Vampires Book 3.

Now in one volume-two of New York Times bestselling author Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire novels.

Lord of Misrule

In Morganville, violent black clouds promise a storm of devastating proportions. As student Claire Danvers and her friends prepare to defend Morganville against the elements the unexpected happens: Morganville's vampires begin to vanish. Discovering why leads Claire to one last choice: swear allegiance to the evil master vampire Bishop- or die...

Carpe Corpus

An underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it Bishop vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants. Claire and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires go back to the old rules, after having such a taste of power?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:45 -0400)

In Morganville, Texas, a small college town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers discovers that her new roommates are vampires and all hell breaks loose as the living party with the dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,218,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible