Being a Green Mother by Piers Anthony

Being a Green Mother

by Piers Anthony

Series: Incarnations of Immortality (5)

2,131None3,060 (3.58)13
5 (7) Anthony (9) ebook (13) fantasy (469) fantasy fiction (8) fiction (185) Gaia (7) gods (11) hardcover (10) immortality (8) Incarnations (30) Incarnations of Immortality (159) magic (16) mmpb (7) mythology (17) nature (23) novel (20) own (13) owned (7) paperback (27) Piers Anthony (24) read (44) religion (9) science fiction (85) series (53) sf (19) sff (46) speculative fiction (9) to-read (11) unread (15)

I am not really sure of how many of these books that I have read, but I believe that I read them during my wasted years and therefore will assume that I have read up to number seven (there is an eighth, but that was published in 2000, long after I have moved on from Piers Anthony). The incarnation at the centre of this book is Nature, or Gaia (which is a Greek word that, well, means nature, though the translation that I understand it as being is sort of Earth as a living entity) and like the other book, this book has connections with the previous stories, and though they are all technically stand alone, it can be difficult understanding the nature of some of the characters unless you have read the previous books.
This story reminds me of the story of Hades and Persephone, and I suspect that the story is based upon the same. There are a lot of elements of Greek Mythology running through this series, and while the incarnations are not truly reflective of the Greek Gods (Chronos was not the god of time, in the same way that Hades is not an evil god), I can see that he has borrowed from the mythology in writing this book.
The reason that I compare this book to the story of Persephone is that in that story Hades kidnaps Persephone, who is the daughter of Demetar, the goddess of grain and the fields, and as a result the seasons come into play. In this book, the main character takes the role of Nature, and in doing so discovers that she is prophesied to marry Satan. Once again Satan attempts to manipulate things so that he might get his way, and in this book he does. Nature has fallen in love with him, and wants to marry him, but in doing so, Satan realises that he can no longer be the incarnation of evil, so resigns.
This, I learn from the synopsis of this book that Satan is not the fallen angel of the Bible, but just a human like all of the other incarnations, and like the others, he can step down from his role as well. However, he is still the protagonist, and as usual, is attempting to destroy all of creation in the process. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Mar 31, 2014 |
each time I read these I find different themes/aspects that I didn't before. the last time I read this one I was in college. now I'm living my own life and the sacrifices seem more poignant. while this one isn't my favorite of the series it is one of the more powerful. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
INCARNATIONS OF IMMORTALITY
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
# 5 of the Incarnations of Immortality-- Great Read
"It is discovered that young Orb, the Aunt of Luna, has the gift of conjuring natural music that emanates from things in nature. She sets off on a quest for a magical song known as the Llano, a song supposed to be the most beautiful imaginable. During the beginning of her search, she meets and helps a young Gypsy girl who was blind, teaching her song and dance as such most men never see. She also joins up with a circus for a short time, meeting there the man that would later become War, and realizing after his unwanted departure that she is pregnant with his child. Upon having his child, she takes the baby, the young Orlene, to her Gypsy friend with the understanding that the woman would find her daughter the best possible home. Later on, she joins up with a rock and roll band. Her magical singing allows them to lose their drug addictions, and they quest together until she is approached by her mother, Niobe (who had left her office to have her with Pacian, thus effectively making Orb the aunt of Luna as well as her cousin through their fathers), in the guise of Fate. She is told that she has been selected to fill the role of Nature (Gaea), but that a prophecy foretells that she may one day marry Satan, and then the problems start." ( )
  Scoshie | May 6, 2011 |
Being a Green Mother has the distinct honor of being the worst of the five Incarnations of Immortality Books thus far. In the fifth book, Piers Anthony tackles the incarnation of Nature, the supposed most powerful of the earthly incarnations. However, I take issue with several points in this book: (1) Orb Kaftan begins manipulating the powers of nature well before she takes office. In previous stories, the Incarnations have stepped in to correct the situation when this occurs and (2) 98% of the book is spent on Orb the mortal and her taking on the role of nature has very little impact on the storyline.

My advice for those contemplating reading this series. Stop at book three and read something else. That said, I am about to start book six: For Love of Evil. I am prepared for disappointment. ( )
1 vote JechtShot | Dec 14, 2010 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisp, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was just a child, but in the dream she was a woman, beautiful, in a bridal gown, walking down a long aisle on the arm of a man she couldn't quite see.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345322231, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:23 -0400)

Orb had a rare gift--the magic which manifested whenever she sang or played her harp. No one could resist her music. But she knew that greater magic lay in the Llano, the mystic music that controlled all things. The quest for the Llano occupied Orb's life. Until she met Natasha, handsome and charming, and an even finer musician. But her mother Niobe came as an Aspect of Fire, with the news that Orb had been chosen for the role of Incarnation of Nature--The Green Mother. But she also warned of a prophecy that Orb was to marry Evil. Could she be sure that Natasha was not really Satan, the Master of Illusion, laying a trap for her?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible