Being a Green Mother by Piers Anthony

Being a Green Mother

by Piers Anthony

Series: Incarnations of Immortality (5)

5 (7) Anthony (8) Book 5 (7) ebook (13) fantasy (471) fantasy fiction (8) fiction (186) gods (11) hardcover (10) immortality (8) Incarnations (30) Incarnations of Immortality (161) magic (17) mmpb (7) mythology (17) nature (23) novel (20) own (13) owned (7) paperback (27) Piers Anthony (24) read (45) religion (9) science fiction (86) series (53) sf (19) sff (46) speculative fiction (9) to-read (12) unread (15)

I have read some reviews that have said this book was to be the last in the series, an I can understand that because Anthony does a superb job of tying everything together from the previous four novels. But I also know there are three more books I can't wait to read!

This book is much like the others--where it follows the process of a new incarnation taking office, however, it differs in that the new Green Mother doesn't take her office until the last hundred or so pages. The majority of the book is Orb's (Luna [Death's girlfriend]'s 'cousin/sister' and Niobe [Fate]'s daughter, War's old girlfriend, and Orlene [Time's gf]'s mom) quest for the song of the Llano--the song that can heal the sick, cure addiction, etc.

A good read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Orb Kaftan is born into a special family. Her father can make magical music and her mother was once an aspect of Fate. Her half-brother is a powerful magician and her niece can see auras and paint them. Orb herself has an incredible amount of music magic. As she grows her talent grows with her and when she becomes an adult she sets out to find the ultimate music of all, the Llano. Traveling all over Europe to various gypsy camps, she seeks the elusive music. In India she falls in love, but he’s taken from her. Continuing her quest in the United States has her meeting several new people who become important to her including Natasha, a handsome man who teaches her more about the Llano. But is everything the way it seems? Her mother has taken up the mantle of Fate again and comes to warn Orb about the prophecy that she will marry Evil and to offer her the job of the Green Mother. Orb has some big decisions to make and having lost one man she loved will she lose another?

I know I’ve said that I love this series, but if I had to pick a favorite inside it I’d say this one was it. Of course, it’s been many years since I read books 6 & 7, so I’ll need to reread those to be sure, but for now, this book is the one. Starting when Orb is four and following her into adulthood I love reading about all she has experienced. Though she is a tad obsessive about the Llano, at least she’s a decent person. My favorite part of the whole book is at the end. I’ve cried each time I’ve read it and I can’t remember what happens in the next book. So, I’m really looking forward to reading For Love of Evil. Of course, neither library system near me has it and I have no idea where I’ve stored my copy. Gah! ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 13, 2014 |
I am not really sure of how many of these books that I have read, but I believe that I read them during my wasted years and therefore will assume that I have read up to number seven (there is an eighth, but that was published in 2000, long after I have moved on from Piers Anthony). The incarnation at the centre of this book is Nature, or Gaia (which is a Greek word that, well, means nature, though the translation that I understand it as being is sort of Earth as a living entity) and like the other book, this book has connections with the previous stories, and though they are all technically stand alone, it can be difficult understanding the nature of some of the characters unless you have read the previous books.
This story reminds me of the story of Hades and Persephone, and I suspect that the story is based upon the same. There are a lot of elements of Greek Mythology running through this series, and while the incarnations are not truly reflective of the Greek Gods (Chronos was not the god of time, in the same way that Hades is not an evil god), I can see that he has borrowed from the mythology in writing this book.
The reason that I compare this book to the story of Persephone is that in that story Hades kidnaps Persephone, who is the daughter of Demetar, the goddess of grain and the fields, and as a result the seasons come into play. In this book, the main character takes the role of Nature, and in doing so discovers that she is prophesied to marry Satan. Once again Satan attempts to manipulate things so that he might get his way, and in this book he does. Nature has fallen in love with him, and wants to marry him, but in doing so, Satan realises that he can no longer be the incarnation of evil, so resigns.
This, I learn from the synopsis of this book that Satan is not the fallen angel of the Bible, but just a human like all of the other incarnations, and like the others, he can step down from his role as well. However, he is still the protagonist, and as usual, is attempting to destroy all of creation in the process. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Mar 31, 2014 |
each time I read these I find different themes/aspects that I didn't before. the last time I read this one I was in college. now I'm living my own life and the sacrifices seem more poignant. while this one isn't my favorite of the series it is one of the more powerful. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
INCARNATIONS OF IMMORTALITY
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisp, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was just a child, but in the dream she was a woman, beautiful, in a bridal gown, walking down a long aisle on the arm of a man she couldn't quite see.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345322231, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:23 -0400)

Orb had a rare gift--the magic which manifested whenever she sang or played her harp. No one could resist her music. But she knew that greater magic lay in the Llano, the mystic music that controlled all things. The quest for the Llano occupied Orb's life. Until she met Natasha, handsome and charming, and an even finer musician. But her mother Niobe came as an Aspect of Fire, with the news that Orb had been chosen for the role of Incarnation of Nature--The Green Mother. But she also warned of a prophecy that Orb was to marry Evil. Could she be sure that Natasha was not really Satan, the Master of Illusion, laying a trap for her?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible