Level Up by Gene Luen Yang

Level Up

by Gene Luen Yang, Thien Pham (Illustrator)

What a beautiful book about finding one's own way, whatever it may be!

IG360L (illustrated guide) ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
I good YA graphic novel about Dennis, a young man trying to find his way. Does he want to be a gastroenterologist, as his parents always hoped? Or does he want to be a professional gamer? Why do they want him to be a doctor so badly? And what does he really care about in life?

You can change your mind, as Dennis learns. And that might bring true satisfaction--it lets you know you HAVE chosen correctly for yourself. ( )
  Dreesie | Jun 15, 2016 |
This is one of those stories that can only be told through its chosen medium, an exemplar of the form. I'm not sure I would have thought a "boy comes to term with his father's death through medical school and videogames" story could have been pulled off successfully, but there you go. It's heart-wrenching, redeeming, joyful and a little bit crazypants. ( )
  thoughtbox | May 27, 2016 |
A most sweetly satisfying story about fulfilling parental expectations AND personal happiness. Dennis is a video game aficionado whose destiny is to become a gastroenterologist because his father has always wanted him to be a doctor. A quartet of little guardian angels handles his household chores so Dennis can spend more time studying. But is being a doctor really what he wants to do? I picked this up after hearing the author and illustrator at a conference; they were so hilarious. Gene Yang hinted at the terrific ending and how he came up with it. Just great! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Dennis Ouyang has always worked hard to do what his father wanted him to do. However when he gets to college he begins to feel tired of always being pushed and loses focus. When he is expelled from college four angels appear to help him get his life together, but is this really the best path for Dennis?

Sometimes when you are reading a graphic novel by a writer who changes artists the change in artists makes it feel almost as though the story is being told by a completely different person. That's kind of how I felt reading this through the first time. However upon further reflection I could clearly see that this was definitely a Gen Luen Yang story.

This graphic novel definitely shows how people can feel as if their life choices are being taken away from them. I loved seeing how Dennis was affected by his father's life. I also liked that it showed how an interest that may seem rediculous and time consuming can still have real life applications. However I am still wondering about what kind of message it sends that Dennis ended up where his parents wanted him to be anyway. Not in an I don't agree with the message kind of way, because it clearly illustrates that Dennis needed to find his own way and get there on his own, but more in a hmmmm how can this be interpreted way. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Yang, Gene LuenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pham, ThienIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Dennis, the son of Chinese immigrants, yearns to play video games like his friends and, upon his strict father's death, becomes obsessed with them but later, realizing how his father sacrificed for him, he chooses a nobler path.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible