Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (francescadefreitas)
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (shadiphoenix)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (shadiphoenix)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: Get inside the head of the only female werewolf. Good writing
    Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (ToxicMasquerade)
    Benighted by Kit Whitfield (AmethystFaerie)
    AmethystFaerie: "Benighted" takes place in a world where humans are the minority, while werewolves are the majority. If you love Kelley Armstrong's Elena, you will love Kit Whitfield's Lola.
    Stolen by Kelley Armstrong (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: Women Of the Otherworld Series Book 2
    Maneater by Thomas Emson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: A UK werewolf with better characters a better history and better writing.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (ConciseReviews)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Jacey25)
    Jacey25: This is one of the better places to start a journey into urban fantasy and paranormal romance- the series has all kinds of denziens who all feel like real "people".
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Kcart)

English (220)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (226)
The beginning was so promising — the tone, the atmosphere — but it eventually lost that and I subsequently lost interest about halfway through. ( )
  Jeeps | Jul 26, 2018 |
I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. Elena was such a riveting character. It's rare that I find a book where I am so drawn in to their personality, that I feel the same emotions as that character. She was strong, witty, and loyal. Throughout the story, she struggled with her dual desires: to live a human life and to fully embrace her werewolf life. I liked her interactions with the others, especially Clay. He was driven to keep her with the Pack, but seemed to learn from his previous mistakes by taking a different approach with her. There were many suspenseful moments as well that was surprisingly pleasant. The outcome to her wants and the danger that the Pack faced was believable and realistic. This was a nice start to this series. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
It took me a long time to get to the end of this book because there was so much going on the past week. This was an awesome book. It's part romantic, part kick ass chick and kick ass well period. This book has so many different things happen, that it just really made a very enjoyable reading experience. I will most definitely be reading the rest of the books in this series. I really enjoy Kelley Armstrong's writing. It just flows really great together, from event to event. I just REALLY did love it. ( )
  RozzieReads | Jun 5, 2018 |
Excellent book well written. I loved Elena and how she was dealing with being a werewolf. I would recommend it ( )
  skgregory | May 25, 2018 |
Bitten
4 Stars

Similar to numerous UF and PNR series, the world building in Bitten revolves around werewolves. However, Armstrong's take on werewolf mythology is quite original in the form of the hereditary Vs. Mutt dichotomy and the gene passing through the male line. Nevertheless, it is difficult to come to terms with the wolves' callous attitude toward killing humans, and the fact that the fathers take the babies from their mothers is completely unrealistic. Moreover, the pack does not come across as particularly effective in protecting themselves and others. This may be due to an unfair comparison with other werewolf series like Mercy Thompson and Chicagoland Vampires in which the packs are larger and more of a force to be reckoned with.

The basic plot of a group of renegade werewolves attempting to undermine the pack's position by murdering local girls is strong but not as developed as it could have been. In fact, it ultimately fizzles out and the story moves in a completely different direction toward the end.

The characters are the most compelling aspect of the book. Elena is a problematic heroine. One the one hand, she is strong, feisty and resilient, and her attempts to assert her independence by living a "normal" life in the human world are admirable. Nevertheless, it is all too obvious that she is in denial about who she really is and has subsumed her true self beneath a congenial facade.

On the other hand, her behavior with regard to the men in her life is morally questionable. The love triangle setup is tedious and her dishonesty with Philip regarding who she is and her relationship with Clay makes her less sympathetic and likable. Moreover, her resentment toward Clay, while understandable given that his bite turned her into a werewolf quickly becomes irritating, especially considering that she is constantly running hot/cold when it comes to him.

Elena's love interest, Clay, is an amalgamation of opposites as his impulsiveness and instincts are at war with his humanity, and he ostensibly hides a genius IQ behind a seemingly slow and simple southern facade. His complexity makes him a difficult character to like but once the extent of his love for Elena becomes apparent it becomes virtually impossible not to swoon all over him.

Jeremy, the pack alpha, is a prime example of still waters running deep and the family dynamic established by the other pack members is very endearing. The villains are a mixed bag from Daniel, the mastermind, bent on revenge and a megalomaniac desire to establish his own pack with its own rules to Karl, a sort of gentleman like thief, who is almost honorable despite his questionable allegiances.

Despite its problems, Bitten is a well-written and action packed read and it will be interesting to see what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
To Jeff
For always believing I could
I have to.
"You forget, darling. I am the local psychopath." Clay
This is the first book of the Elena Michaels series from Kelley Armstrong and is NOT a collection of short stories as edited by Susie Bright. Please do not combine the two. Thanks!

Elena Michaels would love to be an ordinary woman and she tries very hard, but she's sure her boyfriend just wouldn't understand about her being a werewolf. She hides her self and lives as a lone-wolf until a former pack member comes calling for her help.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0452286034, Mass Market Paperback)

I've been fighting it all night. I'm going to lose ...Nature wins out. It always does.' Elena Michaels didn't know that her lover Clay was a werewolf until he bit her, changing her life forever. Betrayed and furious, she cannot accept her transformation, and wants nothing to do with her Pack - a charismatic group of fellow werewolves who say they want to help. When a series of brutal murders threatens the Pack - and Clay - Elena is forced to make an impossible choice. Abandon the only people who truly understand her new nature, or help them to save the lover who ruined her life, and who still wants her back at any cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:48 -0400)

Elena Michaels is a self-described "mutt," a werewolf who left her secretive pack in upstate New York for a life among humans. In the year since she relocated to Toronto, she's embarked on a career as a journalist and begun a pleasingly mundane relationship with a decent man. All this is jeopardized when she agrees to help her old packmates hunt some troublesome mutts who are converting common criminals to werewolves and leaving a trail of conspicuous carnage. Reunited with her former lycanthrope lover and forced into brutally predatory confrontations, Elena finds the call of the wild subtly reasserting itself.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kelley Armstrong's book Bitten was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,825,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible