Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 5 by Kanata Konami

Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 5 (2011)

by Kanata Konami

This is the fifth volume in Chi’s Sweet Home. It was just as cute, funny, and family friendly as the previous four volumes. My whole family reads this series together and this is one of my 7 year old son’s absolutely favorite series of books right now.

Chi is still getting settled in to her new home. There are other pets there but they seem to be content with their lots in life. Chi explores the mysterious upstairs of the apartment, ransacks Mr. Yamada’s office, and then goes on a tour of the neighborhood and meets other cats. She also gets to discover the joys of being brushed.

This is another cute and very funny installment of Chi. It’s not all fun and games though for this one, Chi gets lost again outside and deals with some big scares. Chi also is led by another cat to seek out her mother and siblings, this is a bit sad and also a bit scary for Chi.

Some of the scenes with Chi getting in a fight with some tape are very funny. Chi ends up finding an old friend outside of the house too. When she meets up with Blackie again the ensuing journey back home is pretty hilarious.

There are a lot of new pets and cats introduced in this book and Chi is finally getting a group of animal friends to compliment her human family. It was very nice and cute how all of the cats help Chi out in her exploration of the city.

The illustration is just as adorable as in previous installments. It is done is pastels and does an excellent job of showing emotion. I love how all of the cats sound a bit different as well.

As I mentioned above this is great for all ages and my family loves to read it together. This has been a very high quality manga series and is just wonderful, especially if you love cats.

Overall another fabulous installment in this series. This continues to be a very adorable, hilarious, and just all in all well done manga series. I highly recommend it to cat lovers of all ages. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 23, 2014 |
More of the same and that's a good thing. The quality of this series continues and expectations are met. Chis is still getting used to her new home and now she ventures off out into the world from this new home for the first time. Rather than cute, funny episodes; this time Chi has some shocks, scares and wonders at new unusual things as she gets used to the world around her. Not laugh out loud funny this time but more endearing as we react to Chi's feline nature and reactions to the human world. I'm also enjoying the peak inside daily Japanese family life as well. Chi gets to know new friends better and meets up with an old one. Lovely, series that will surely last as a classic. ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 1, 2014 |
Again, I love it when this series shows Chi doing kitty stuff. Alice the Scottish fold was adorable when she went after some thrown paper, and I laughed when Chi accidentally got tape stuck to her and messed up Mr. Yamada's entire office.

On the one hand, I liked Chi's explorations less, because the cats were almost human in how they thought and helped Chi. On the other hand, Chi nearly meeting her mom was a new and unexpected development. I'm guessing the anime and manga must be fairly different, then, because I don't remember this happening in the anime at all.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 29, 2013 |

Follows the adventures of Chi, a mischievous kitten who is adopted by Yohei and his family, the Yamadas, even though their lease explicitly states pets are not allowed in their building.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,338,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible