Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner

Then Came You

by Jennifer Weiner

Very different from Ms Weiner's usual fare, but I liked it. A lot. Several storry lines, protagonists, all deftly woven in an interesting story about troubled lives and troubled relationships, sans pity or drama. A beautiful college girl (troubled by the beauty she grew into, and the treatment that brings her! Not anything I've heard about before but rings oh-so-true) approached to sell her eggs to a fertility clinic, a young married woman who loves her family/husband & tries to help out money-wise as a surrogate mother, a rich old man with a beautiful young trophy wife, the trophy wife, a daughter who wanted her parents to remain married, all with unique and sympathetic backgrounds. All interact as interesting and (mostly) compassionate human beings, just trying to live life the best they know how. Really a good read. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Aug 18, 2015 |
Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner
Gold digger India snares billionaire Marcus Croft. They hire Prestine Jewels to carry the eggs for a child.
They each have goals and things don't go as planned. Lot of controversy surrounding surrogate mothers, who the eggs really belong to, etc.
Jewels lives with her parents and siblings and knows the 20K would come in handy to help her father-one last attempt.
So much controversy as things don't go planned or who actually does own the eggs, and the child they produce?
  jbarr5 | Jul 24, 2015 |
Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner is the story of the women who make parenthood possible through egg donation and surrogacy. There is Jules Strauss, a Princeton senior who is recruited for her eggs; Annie Barrow, a blue collar working mother who sees surrogacy as a chance to make some well needed money; and finally India Bishop a 43 year old gold digger who decides she wants (but can't have) a baby with her new and wealthy mate.

The novel jumps between these women, after introducing each one. I listened to the book on audio and different readers were brought on to read each of these sections. I've found that I don't like multiple narrators. One person doing all the performance seems to be better and less disjointed. I find it's easier to gauge the ebb and flow of a novel and the interplay between character with only one reader (even when the book has multiple points of view).

But I must also say that I was completely put off by India. She is everything I'm not and I just wasn't interested in seeing her take possession of a child as she does everything else. Children aren't things. ( )
  pussreboots | May 10, 2015 |
This was adorable. I loved all the characters and the complex story that brought them all together. Will write an actual review later ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
"Awesome!!!!! Jennifer is a great writer with humor and characters you fall in love with. Twist of fate of 4 different gals and how they connect and come together! " ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
"So," said Estella, "I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me."
-- Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
For Phoebe Pearl
The man in the suit was watching me again.

The lives of four very different women intertwine in unexpected ways in this new novel by bestselling author Jennifer Weiner (Then Came You; Best Friends Forever). Each woman has a problem: Princeton senior Jules Wildgren needs money to help her dad cure his addiction; Pennsylvania housewife Annie Barrow is gasping to stay financially afloat; India Bishop yearns to have a child, an urge that her stepdaughter Bettina can only regard with deeply skepticism until she finds herself in a most unexpected situation. Interlocking dramas designed to ensnare; bound to be a bestseller.

The plans of four women--including a college student egg donor, a working-class surrogate mother, a wealthy woman, and her stepdaughter--are thrown into turmoil when the wealthy woman's husband suddenly dies and names the stepdaughter the unborn baby's guardian.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,057,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible