Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner

Then Came You

by Jennifer Weiner

The perfect literary "palette cleanser". It is an intriguing story with characters you will love and hate, and a very satisfying ending. Chick lit at it's best.

Will definitely read more by this author. Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

India (not her real name, you know) is an up & coming Gold-digger & "Trophy Wife" who wants to seal her position by having a baby, only she can't so she goes to a Fertility Clinic buy some eggs and hires a surrogate.

Jules is a college student in need of $$$$ in order to help "heal" her father of his addiction by paying for his rehab, so she agrees to sell her eggs to the Fertility Clinic.

Annie is a young mother of two, whose husband is back from the Middle east & had been layed off from his job, she needs $$$ to help support her family, so she agrees to surrogate for India w/ Jules's egg.

Bettina is the spoiled daughter of India's husband, who is out to prove India is a fraud....

All four of these women come crashing together after baby girl, Rory, is born!

This book has been on my TBR for about 4 months now and once I picked it up I read it in one day. This is not great literature, nor are parts of it credible, but other parts (the 4 women's life stories) are. I enjoyed it for what it is, a nice Happy-Ever-Ater story. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I was quite surprised how eager I was to finish reading this book. It takes a village to raise a child and this was an interesting example of it in present times.

At first I was really unsure about all of the characters because they were so bitter, harden and messed up in their own ways. And suddenly with a baby in the mix, they are all tossed together and agree to help raise the baby (Rory). Like it is a little far fetched (like Bettina actually raising Rory since she was the forever spoiled heiress who has trust issues with men) and frankly predictable as to what the ending will be.

India is the trophy/gold digger wife who is intent on having a child of her own and constantly questions whether or not she loved Marcus. Bettina is Marcus' daughter who is so frigid and spinster like for a 20 year old with huge trust and family issues. Annie is the lonely and neglected 20 year old mother of 2, with ambitions that her husband Frank doesn't have the time or energy to foster. Jules has a hard time dealing with her dad's addiction and her potential blossoming relationship with Kimmie. Most of the time the ladies are so over dramatic and miserable. Well misery sure loves company!

This was a good and quick read but not exactly memorable as most of the times there's not much going on with the characters as they remained a little one dimensional in the beginning and they felt very similar in terms of characterization. Plus they weren't very likeable for the most part, until maybe like more than half way through the book. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
I actually liked the interview with the author in the back of the book more than the book itself. She had some really smart things to say about being a woman writer, and some great things about the book itself (but that, unfortunately, I do not think came across that strongly in the book). ( )
  mermaidatheart | Dec 1, 2015 |
Very different from Ms Weiner's usual fare, but I liked it. A lot. Several storry lines, protagonists, all deftly woven in an interesting story about troubled lives and troubled relationships, sans pity or drama. A beautiful college girl (troubled by the beauty she grew into, and the treatment that brings her! Not anything I've heard about before but rings oh-so-true) approached to sell her eggs to a fertility clinic, a young married woman who loves her family/husband & tries to help out money-wise as a surrogate mother, a rich old man with a beautiful young trophy wife, the trophy wife, a daughter who wanted her parents to remain married, all with unique and sympathetic backgrounds. All interact as interesting and (mostly) compassionate human beings, just trying to live life the best they know how. Really a good read. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Aug 18, 2015 |
"So," said Estella, "I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me."
-- Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
For Phoebe Pearl
The man in the suit was watching me again.

The lives of four very different women intertwine in unexpected ways in this new novel by bestselling author Jennifer Weiner (Then Came You; Best Friends Forever). Each woman has a problem: Princeton senior Jules Wildgren needs money to help her dad cure his addiction; Pennsylvania housewife Annie Barrow is gasping to stay financially afloat; India Bishop yearns to have a child, an urge that her stepdaughter Bettina can only regard with deeply skepticism until she finds herself in a most unexpected situation. Interlocking dramas designed to ensnare; bound to be a bestseller.

The plans of four women--including a college student egg donor, a working-class surrogate mother, a wealthy woman, and her stepdaughter--are thrown into turmoil when the wealthy woman's husband suddenly dies and names the stepdaughter the unborn baby's guardian.… (more)

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible