Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Underground: Finding the Light to Freedom by…

Underground: Finding the Light to Freedom

by Shane W. Evans

This book is about what slaves had to do in order to be free. It talks about who they ask for help and how some of them do not make it to freedom. ( )
  jasminenesbitt1 | Mar 6, 2018 |
The underground railroad was a scary thing, but it was a risk worth taking for many. In this book we are given very few words, but amazing illustration of what is happening. We follow a family through their journey of becoming free, and what crosses their path as they escape slavery. Sometimes a lot of words aren't needed in order to feel emotion, and that is exactly was this book does for us.

This book was simple, yet powerful. I was intrigued by the illustrations, and the progression of the book. I think it's great how this book can be. Introduced to children at a young age because of the easy sentence structures. It gives a child-friendly look into the underground railroad and what people had to go through in order to be free. Overall it was a beautiful book, and I enjoyed all of the aspects it has to offer. ( )
  aquinn | Feb 16, 2018 |
In fifteen pages there are only 51 words. Why? Because words aren't as needed when the pictures that tell the story. As you read this book, you sense these are slaves escaping in the middle of the night, and gaining freedom, from their owners. For me, the pictures become a movie; I can see the rest of the scene play in my head. So many of the pages have two or three words. We rest. We run. But their palpable trepidation and angst are overtly, accurately depicted. Then, finally, joy and freedom. It received the Coretta Scott King Award for Illustrators in 2012. ( )
  SavanaCampbell | Feb 2, 2018 |
This simple story holds such importance. The use of darkness to lightness within the illustrations portrays the journey that slaves took through the underground railroad to reach freedom. This would be a wonderful story to read to children who are learning about this time in our history.
  astjohn2 | Jan 12, 2018 |
Summary: This book with few words, shows the reader what it was like to be apart of the underground railroad.
Genre: Realistic fiction
Medium:
Age Appropriateness: Intermediate
Use in a classroom: This book would be a good way to explain to the students how the people may have felt while they were fleeing from slavery and some of the trials they may have faced while escaping.
  rbrock15 | Nov 14, 2017 |

"A stellar introduction to the Underground Railroad, narrated by a group of slaves. Readers experience the fugitives' escape, their long nighttime journey punctuated by meetings with friends and enemies, and their final glorious arrival in a place of freedom."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible