The Violets of March by Sarah Jio

The Violets of March (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sarah Jio

Member:Froggles
Title:The Violets of March
Authors:Sarah Jio
Info:Penguin Group (2011), Hardcover
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:American fiction

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio (2011)

I love love LOVED this! Loved. I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. I like how there are really two stories.. the story of the narrator and then the story she's reading in the diary. So good. ( )
  KimMeyer | May 2, 2016 |
A sweet story. A woman travels to an island near Seattle to visit with an elderly aunt after her husband asks for a divorce. During her stay she discovers a diary from 1943 in a bedroom. The diary reveals a love story with a tragic end, but she gets the feeling that the story is unfinished. While reading she discovers parrallels between the love story in the diary and her own life and also discovers that maybe the people in the story have ties to the present day. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
A great escape novel! A story of love, betrayal and an old diary that links the past with the present! ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Good, forthright romance novel. The mystery takes a bit of a backstage here, I think. The parallels between old flames and current was a little grating, as was the stubborn pride of the character Esther. So much could have been avoided and mended if she had just taken a deep breath and listened on more than one occasion. It was a nice summer book and fast read. I will probably read another by this author, and if it goes down the same path, will cross her off my list. That is what keeps me from giving more stars to this one.
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
In her twenties, Emily Wilson was on top of the world: she had a bestselling novel, a husband plucked from the pages of GQ, and a one-way ticket to happily ever after.

Ten years later, the tide has turned on Emily's good fortune. So when her great-aunt Bee invites her to spend the month of March on Bainbridge Island in Washington State, Emily accepts, longing to be healed by the sea. Researching her next book, Emily discovers a red velvet diary, dated 1943, whose contents reveal startling connections to her own life.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetic

"And the riverbank talks of the waters of March / It's the end of all strain, it's the joy in your heart." -- From "Waters of March" by Antonio Carlos Jobim
To my grandmothers, Antoinette Mitchell and the late Cecelia Fairchild, who instilled in me the love of art and writing and a fascination with the 1940s
"I guess this is it," Joel said, leaning into the doorway of our apartment.

***A Library Journal Best Books of 2011 Award Recipient***

A heartbroken woman stumbled upon a diary and steps into the life of its anonymous author.

A mesmerizing debut with an idyllic setting and intriguing dual story line, The Violets of March announces Sarah Jio as a writer to watch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:20 -0400)

In a mystical place where violets bloom out of season and the air is salt drenched, a heartbroken woman stumbles upon a diary and steps into the life of its anonymous author.

206 wanted2 pay3 pay

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,823,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible