The Violets of March by Sarah Jio

The Violets of March (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sarah Jio

Member:Froggles
Title:The Violets of March
Authors:Sarah Jio
Info:Penguin Group (2011), Hardcover
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:American fiction

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio (2011)

I am going to call this one a pleasant Gothic-lite type of beach read. Gothic for the haunting atmosphere of the mysterious family secret a handful of Bainbridge Islanders seem to know all about that Emily has to work to uncover. A good beach read in that recently divorcee Emily has not one but two romantic interests (or three if we include her ex in the count) with the escape from New York City to an island retreat, even if spending March on an island in the Puget Sound, Washington area isn’t exactly the tropical “sun and surf” locale other readers may prefer. Of course, the icing on the cake for me is the historical fiction aspect of the 1943 diary slowly reveals a haunting story of love gone wrong.

Jio does a wonderful job pulling tiny tidbits from the 1943 diary story and echoing them in present day for Emily to stumble across, twigging tiny “deja-vu” experiences. Jio accurately captures Bainbridge Island and has created some wonderful characters in Aunt Bee, Evelyn, Henry and Emily’s BFF Annie. The romantic interests were just okay as they came across as being a tad too contrived for my tastes. As far as protagonists go, Emily fits the bill as the typical contemporary romance lead but parts of her character had me eye-rolling, especially the fact that Emily seems to be financially well off considering she doesn’t appear to have any income except for the revenue from the sales of her debut novel (yes it was a bestseller and yes it was made into a movie but that was like 5 years ago). There are also a couple of discontinuity issues that the editor/proof-reader should have caught (for example, Esther arrives in a wool twin set but a couple of paragraphs later, the buttons on her dress are being undone).

Overall, I really, really enjoyed the family secrets mystery and the Puget Sound location but beyond that, this is a formula beach read just like thousands of other books of the same contemporary romance genre. A pleasant way to while away a rainy afternoon or a lazy Sunday. ( )
  lkernagh | Mar 12, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't want to put it down, I wanted to know who Esther and Elliott were. I wanted to know what would happen with Emily and Jack. I also didn't want it to end like it did. I wanted to know more of the story. It was very well written and I look forward to reading more from Sarah Jio. I would recommend this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I love love LOVED this! Loved. I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. I like how there are really two stories.. the story of the narrator and then the story she's reading in the diary. So good. ( )
  KimMeyer | May 2, 2016 |
A sweet story. A woman travels to an island near Seattle to visit with an elderly aunt after her husband asks for a divorce. During her stay she discovers a diary from 1943 in a bedroom. The diary reveals a love story with a tragic end, but she gets the feeling that the story is unfinished. While reading she discovers parrallels between the love story in the diary and her own life and also discovers that maybe the people in the story have ties to the present day. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
In her twenties, Emily Wilson was on top of the world: she had a bestselling novel, a husband plucked from the pages of GQ, and a one-way ticket to happily ever after.

Ten years later, the tide has turned on Emily's good fortune. So when her great-aunt Bee invites her to spend the month of March on Bainbridge Island in Washington State, Emily accepts, longing to be healed by the sea. Researching her next book, Emily discovers a red velvet diary, dated 1943, whose contents reveal startling connections to her own life.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetic

"And the riverbank talks of the waters of March / It's the end of all strain, it's the joy in your heart." -- From "Waters of March" by Antonio Carlos Jobim
To my grandmothers, Antoinette Mitchell and the late Cecelia Fairchild, who instilled in me the love of art and writing and a fascination with the 1940s
"I guess this is it," Joel said, leaning into the doorway of our apartment.

***A Library Journal Best Books of 2011 Award Recipient***

A heartbroken woman stumbled upon a diary and steps into the life of its anonymous author.

A mesmerizing debut with an idyllic setting and intriguing dual story line, The Violets of March announces Sarah Jio as a writer to watch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:20 -0400)

In a mystical place where violets bloom out of season and the air is salt drenched, a heartbroken woman stumbles upon a diary and steps into the life of its anonymous author.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible