Blue Moon (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter) by…

Blue Moon (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter) (edition 2000)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:Darrol
Title:Blue Moon (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Orbit (2000), Paperback, 418 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Red, F2012, Vampire, Female Author, Fiction, FF, R2012, Released

Blue Moon by Laurell K. Hamilton

A Fistful Of Charms by Kim Harrison (housewench)
    housewench: Both of these books in their respective series drag their protagonists from the comfort of home, away where they've little support. Both heroines must deal with werewolves in ways that make them rethink themselves, and who they are, before they can return safely home.… (more)
    Diana Tregarde Investigates by Mercedes Lackey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Strong woman with magical abilities investigating a murder by supernatural means
    Damnation Marked by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature supernatural creatures, a strong female protagonist trained to fight and kill when necessary and both are strong compelling stories that are filled with horror, desire, and magic.

English (42)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (44)
Really, really good. For the first half of the book I was expecting my review of this book to be "Everyone wants to screw Anita. Literally AND figuratively." But it was much more than that. Even the grating "Richard is angry" stuff only lasted a few chapters. Anita learns new powers and flexes her supernatural abilities to kick lots of ass. More and more its becoming clear that to go up against her is suicide. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
Anita, Richard Zeeman, (an alpha werewolf and her old boyfriend), and Jean-Claude, (her present lover), had formed a Triumvirate of power - Master Vampire, Ulfric and necromancer. In other words, when the three connect, they exude tremendous force and are able to do much more magic than any one or two can do alone. The three are still bound to each other, even though Richard is furious with Anita for dumping him. She had to choose between "a flesh eater and a bloodsucker." Do you see a pattern here?

Late one evening Anita receives a phone call from Richard's brother. Zeeman had been spending the summer in Meyerton, Tennessee, studying the Lesser Smokey Mountain Trolls which live in the area, and fulfilling the requirements for his Masters degree. He has been arrested for the rape of a local women, and is obviously innocent of the charge. Richard is squeaky clean, the ultimate Boy Scout, and very gentle, especially for a lycanthrope. To make the situation worse, a full moon will occur in five days. As luck would have it, this month, August, is a blue moon month - that means two full moons in 31 days - a phenomenon which arises every 3-4 years. And we all know what happens to werewolves during a full moon, don't we?

These are no longer simply vampire adventure. The sexual theme that has previously created some interesting character dynamics has suddenly become a strong, primary focus. The book is ostensibly about Anita coming to the rescue of Richard, her werewolf more-than-friend, but it is much more about Anita's changing sexuality. This is quite intense, and really makes this book into a kind of tough girl's romance story. There's nothing wrong with that, just not what I expected. **Be warned that the sex is getting more kinky and more graphic.**

If you are considering trying this out as your first Hamilton novel, get some of the earlier volumes and read those first. Hamilton starts right in the action, and too many of the references will be confusing without some background. Romance fanatics and those who are not put off by a lot of sexuality will no doubt love this book. Those who are a bit more timid and just wanted a great vampire/monster novel need to approach "Blue Moon" with more cautious expectations.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
*spoilers* Hmmm...not sure where to start. I love Jason! He's a great character and can always lighten the mood when it gets too tense. I'm so glad that Anita and Richard finally did it lol. That tension was just getting to be exhausting. Nathaniel is a little better but his submissiveness is tiring not to mention all that pouting just because Anita won't sleep with him. I thought the final show down was a little weak with all the build up, but the scene at the Lupanar was spectacular! Anita's power always makes me a little giddy when she gets to show it off a bit. I'm wondering where this whole thing with Damian is going to go and I must say I'm a little worried. Does any guy in this series not want to sleep with Anita?? Then ending threw me a little. I get that she needed a break, but she isn't Lupa anymore? I'm just wondering how this one will play out. Well I guess I'll just have to dive into the next one :D ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I can't believe all the trouble Richard gets into, he's such a boy scout. Maybe that's why he gets into so much trouble. I'm glad Anita rides to his rescue and meets a healthy group of shapeshifters as well, she needs to get over her touch issues and I'm sure that this book helps greatly with that problem. That Wilkes fellow, the dirty cop, should be shot, I don't remember what happens to him but before he sinks any deeper that is the hole of corruption something definitely should happen to him. I also feel bad for Nathaniel in this book, although he gets a triumph in getting Anita to admit to some things, he gets hurt twice and nearly dies. Pom de Sange-like people shouldn't be treated with such disrespect but I understand why he is hurt that way. Nathaniel is a good boy. . . a good boy. ( )
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
In keeping with her naming her books after places, L.K. Hamilton's novel, Blue Moon, has several connotations. One, it's a place. Blue Moon is a camping area that people come to play or in this case people come to die. Blue Moon is like the old jazz song, "You left me standing alo ho hone..." And thirdly, Blue Moon is rare - a full moon twice in a thirty day period - which can spell havoc for werewolves, who are drawn to the lunar light and have a nasty habit of getting hairy at the drop of a paw.

In the previous book Anita broke up with Richard when she freaked out at the site of him changing into a werewolf and then eating his enemy. Yuk. In this book, Anita is walking down a dark path of death and destruction. She finds it easier to kill. She gets creative in creating trouble for her wolfpack. Her were-leopard friends are becoming more touch-friendly and she is playing with fire when it comes to handling Nyer and his wish for the Spear of Christ, an artifact that was supposedly the spear that went through Christ at the Crucifixion 2000 years ago.

The book is troubling for several reasons: Anita is even more moral-less than in past novels. She does not hesitate to shoot to kill. In one scene, she tortures a guy to tell her where some kidnap victims are, and then shoots him in the head to shut him up! Morals? What?

She meets another necromancer, a psychic and a killer, not in that order. There is also Colin the vampire that they make a big deal out of. Colin does not want Anita in his territory. That part of the story builds well but is over by the halfway point, sadly. No real development of that aspect.

Hamilton really gets into the Richard/Jean Claude/Anita triumvirate and we discover the true intentions of Jean Claude's apparent magnanimous gesture in letting Anita have sex with Richard, not as graphic as it could have been.

Hamilton wears me down with the same old actions over and over - sudden ring - "Jumpy, who me?" about five times in each novel. Annoying.

Marianne is the only stable character in the mess. She's some kind of witch or clairvoyant, who uses her positive energy in the same way Anita uses her negative energy. Calling her "child" and understanding Anita's churning mental state, she guides Anita to a more manageable character. Hope to see more of her in the next book.

Bad cops, some aspects of Dolph open up, but basically a Claude-less book, which is fine with me. Really hoping Obsidian Butterfly gives a return to the vampire killer I used to know in Guilty Pleasures.
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for Shawn Holsapple, brother-in-law, police officer, and kindred spirit.
I was dreaming of cool flesh and sheets the color of fresh blood.

"RICHARD WAS AN ALPHA WEREWOLF. IT WAS HIS ONLY SERIOUS FLAW. WE'D BROKEN UP AFTER I'D SEEN HIM EAT SOMEBODY."

Still, you never forget your ex-fiance. And when the call came at three in the morning, I thought for a moment it was him. It wasn't. It was his brother. And it wasn't good news. Apparently, the former love of my life had gotten himself thrown in jail for assaulting a woman.

Since I make my living as a preternatural expert, I tend to believe almost anything's possible. But though he may be one of the monsters, Richard would never harm a woman. So here I am in the wilds of Tennessee, Anita to the rescue. I've got just a few days to spring Richard and find out who framed him -- and why.

There's a full moon coming, and if my werewolf love is still behind bars when it rises, he'll be facing a lot worse than an assault charge...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134457, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake makes a living raising the dead. She also executes rogue vampires and villains among the local were-folk. Marks bind her to Jean-Claude, the Master vampire of St. Louis and her lover, and to her ex-fiancé, a powerful werewolf who heads up the local pack. Anita shares some of their magic, and her own power over the dead keeps growing. But so does the body count and the situations that force Anita to bend or break her own rules.

In Blue Moon, Anita's ex Richard is jailed in Tennessee, accused of rape. When Anita arrives with a lawyer and an entourage of vampires and 'weres' supplied by Jean-Claude, it's clear that something is rotten in Myerton. The local cops are corrupt, and the trolls Richard was studying are threatened. But if she sticks around to investigate, the local Master vampire will attack her and her friends. The local werewolf clan isn't rushing to welcome her either, and her self-control is going to the, um, wolves.

Blue Moon is the eighth book in Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series; newcomers should start with earlier books. The protagonists' development and their relationships to each other and to the large cast of continuing secondary characters are what make these books so compelling. Be warned--there's steamy sex and graphic violence here, though Anita does reflect on her moral position. But if dark urban fantasy featuring those who hunt the night appeals, pounce on this series. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:26 -0400)

It's up to Anita to prove Richard's innocence when he is jailed on assault charges, but in doing so she pits herself against corrupt cops and the Master Vampire, Jean-Claude, who threatens her and her friends.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,226,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible