The Man with the Golden Gun (James Bond) by…

The Man with the Golden Gun (James Bond) (original 1965; edition 2012)

by Ian Fleming

Member:trcovell
Title:The Man with the Golden Gun (James Bond)
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 169 pages

The Man With the Golden Gun by Ian Fleming (1965)

English (23)  Danish (1)  All (24)
I was led to believe that the later Bond books got progressively worse. This may have been true for "You Only Live Twice", but I found "The Man with the Golden Gun" to be much better written and plotted; pacy and atmospheric, and the evocation of Jamaica (a location which Fleming was very familiar with) was particularly vivid, almost cinematic. This may be because the Bond films were already up to Goldfinger by the time Fleming was writing this, and it's inevitable that there would be some influence on the series. Anyway, an enjoyable book that I flew through in a day or so. ( )
  PeterCrump | Feb 22, 2017 |
The last Bond novel by Fleming, written when he had had one heart attack and would soon die of a second. Some say it was finished by another writer, but this is disputed. Fleming himself is purported to have said, "This is, alas, the last Bond and, again alas, I mean it, for I really have run out of both puff and zest." (quoted in Wikipedia article on the novel.)

Sadly, it shows. Highly implausible plot, rehashing much of the material from earlier books, without the puff and zest.

Still, worth a read if you enjoy pulp adventure writing or want to experience the entire Bond history. ( )
  JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |
First Edition, Second Impression 1965
  bonedoc86 | Apr 24, 2016 |
The jist of this book is basically that James Bond is a dick, and a terrible spy. Even if the action scenes were better, it would still have zero suspense, since Bond isn't any better than the villains. ( )
  comfypants | Mar 10, 2016 |
I’d never read James Bond before, and this is only the second unabridged audio book of the series that I have listened to. I was seriously unimpressed with Octopussy, and am sad to find that this book is also underwhelming.

I rather felt like the author was beating a dead horse to stretch a short story out into a novel. Scaramanga is the titular character – an assassin for hire with a deadly reputation. When James Bond has to redeem himself to MI6 after an unfortunate incident, he’s sent on what most expect to be his last mission. At first this sounds like a strong premise, but the writing just doesn’t pan out. The story almost immediately jumps to the island where Bond finds his target (so no exciting cat and mouse chase across the world) wherein Bond passes up more than one opportunity to kill Scaramanga because he doesn’t want to kill him unawares! Where is the dispassionate 007 spy who carries out any and all missions for Queen and Country? Evidently, movie Bond is a whole lot different from book Bond. And then there is the ending which was so frustrating I actually screamed out loud in my car to “get on with it!” Really. It dragged on and on for no good reason at all, with Bond making one stupid decision after another.

Since this is only the second of the series I’ve read, and I’m not going into chronological order, I decided on 3 stars mainly because Kenneth Branagh is an entertaining reader. I understood him easily, despite his accent, and he changed his tone and voice just enough to differentiate the various characters. And, I did enjoy the interplay between Bond and Felix Lighter (Bond’s CIA counterpart) when he showed up. Overall, I hope this isn’t the best I can expect of Bond, but at least it helped pass 5 hours of a long drive. ( )
  jshillingford | Sep 21, 2015 |

Ian Flemingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Savolainen, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Secret Service holds much that is kept secret even from very senior officers in the organization.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200328X, Paperback)

A brainwashed James Bond has tried—and failed—to assassinate M, his boss. Now Bond has to prove he is back on form and can be trusted again. All 007 has to do is kill one of the most deadly freelance hit men in the world: Paco “Pistols” Scaramanga, the Man with the Golden Gun. But despite his license to kill, 007 is no assassin, and on finding Scaramanga in the sultry heat of Jamaica, he decides to infiltrate the killer’s criminal cooperative—and realizes that he will have to take him out as swiftly as possible. Otherwise 007 might just be the next on a long list of British Secret Service numbers retired by the Man with the Golden Gun...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:41 -0400)

After being brainwashed to assassinate M, James Bond must win back his boss's trust by taking out "Pistols" Scaramanga, the world's most deadly assassin.

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible