Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Drink, Slay, Love (edition 2011)

by Sarah Beth Durst

Member:readingdate
Title:Drink, Slay, Love
Authors:Sarah Beth Durst
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:to-read

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

English (30)  Italian (1)  All languages (31)
Prior to reading this book I had read Ice and The Lost by Durst and enjoyed them both. Durst has been an author that I always enjoy, but I never think her books are absolutely amazing. This book was similar to the others I have read in that aspect. I enjoyed it and thought it was well written. This was a quick and fun read, that was a bit different from other YA paranormal stories out there.

Pearl is a sixteen year old vampire, she’s vicious, full of herself, and sees humans as less than...well...human. That is until she is stabbed through the heart by a Unicorn, her first thought is, “where the hell did a unicorn come from” then she passes out. When she wakes up amidst her vampire family she discovers something crazy; she can walk in the sun. Her family quickly takes advantage of this and assigns her the task of luring humans to the King of New England’s Feast. As part of the plan Pearl is supposed to go to High School...seriously. Things are going pretty well until Pearl realizes that being stabbed by the unicorn changed her in more ways than the obvious.

I know the premise sounds a bit goofy and this is definitely a more light-hearted read. There is quite a bit of humor, but it also ends up being a sort of coming of age story for Pearl. Beneath all the silliness there is a solid discussion about people becoming who they want to be and not what their family tries to force them to be. There’s also an underlying theme of forgiveness. I was kind of surprised that such a solid heartfelt message was delivered in a story with such a goofy premise.

Pearl definitely changes drastically over the course of the novel. Her growth and change is really what propels the story. This is definitely a “high school” paranormal book. Pearl spends a lot of time in high school and some of that is spent learning to quickly navigate the social waters there. Pearl is incredibly smart and fun to read about.

I also enjoyed some of the side characters; both the ones she meets in high school and the ones in her vampire family.

Overall this was a fun and light paranormal read. It’s a unique premise and it worked well for this story. The story is funny and ironic, while still being heartfelt and engaging. I really enjoyed it and I would recommend to those looking for a light YA paranormal read. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 7, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book to no end. I wish it were a series, because I would love to see more of these characters. I love the disparity between the humans & vampires & how Pearl interacts with humans when she first starts her "mission." She is so blunt & matter-of-fact, something not often seen in likeable characters. The humorous aspect makes the book that much more entertaining. I am looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 12, 2014 |
This was a joy to read! Pearl’s such a great character and she made the book entertaining. I loved her wit, it provided for the majority of the comedy parts in the plot. Her sarcasm and her attempt to try and fit into school life was absolutely hilarious.

The vampires in this book are well done as well. They’re bloodthirsty and ambitious. Just the way I like them! no sparkly ones here! The scheme to get Pearl into high school so she can lure the food to feed her fellow vampires was well done (plus Jadrien is quite the hottie!)

Although the plot was pretty good, there were parts that are predictable and cliched. However because of Pearl and her personality (which pretty much is the highlight of the book) it can be overlooked. You pretty much figure out who the unicorn is, and Pearl’s choice on who she decides to be with isn’t a bad choice (although, I’d rather prefer the bad guy, he was your stereotypical bad boy, but you couldn’t help but fall for him.)

Definitely recommended for YA lovers. Read it for Pearl! she’s one of the best protagonists you would ever find. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Oct 21, 2014 |
“You’ll never make it through life if you let
irrational fears freeze you all the time.”

Brief summary:

Pearl Sange is just an ordinary vampire who takes a sip of blood from humans here and there. One day, she was attacked by a unicorn and it's horn staked her ribs! Now, she finds herself being able to bathe in sunlight! But something more than that changed about her and she's finding out if it's a good thing or not..

The plot:

Ahhh this story was so unique and refreshing. The humor was not forced and it just flowed naturally. Gaah, I find myself giggling and snickering every freaking time. I'm shocked to see that I am entertained by a vampire book very much! I can't tell you guys enough how much I enjoyed reading this!

The characters:

“You’re a teenage boy. I have boobs. What part of the equation is missing?”

Pearl. Ahhh I love this heroine!.She's fun and feisty without being too girly. Look at that quote above, now do you see why I liked her?? Well, I don't think you do just by reading that so read the friggin' book!

Evan touched her shoulder. "Maybe it's not that there's something wrong with you," he said. "Maybe there's something finally right."

Evan. I KNEW IT. Anyway, it's not that hard to guess, really.

This was one of those books that you can't help but liked everybody! All these characters had contributed something interesting in this story. I loved the Sange clan, Matt and Zeke, Bethany and really, just all of them.

The romance:

There's only a little amount of romance in this book and I liked it! It's light, sweet and adorable.

This was so much fun! (Well, I knew I told you that already bit whatever.) I recommend this to anyone who is in need of a good laugh. This is the perfect stress reliever. Gaaah book, you came at the right time. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
“You’ll never make it through life if you let
irrational fears freeze you all the time.”

Brief summary:

The plot:

The characters:

“You’re a teenage boy. I have boobs. What part of the equation is missing?”

Evan. I KNEW IT. Anyway, it's not that hard to guess, really.

The romance:

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

After sixteen-year-old vampire Pearl Sange is stabbed through the heart by a were-unicorn, she develops non-vampire-like traits that lead her to save her high school classmates from the Vampire King of New England.

Sarah Beth Durst is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,173,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible