Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Drink, Slay, Love (edition 2011)

by Sarah Beth Durst

132None90,445 (3.95)4
Member:readingdate
Title:Drink, Slay, Love
Authors:Sarah Beth Durst
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:to-read

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

English (26)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
I actually have a signed copy of this book, bought by pure chance whilst in New York 2 years ago. Still haven't read it - the shame! :(
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
RATING: Difficult to say... between 3.5 and 4 stars.

Eh. How to start this review? Ah yes. There are vampires in this book. Lots of vampires. If you are tired of vampires... read this!!

Pearl is a vampire. A bad vampire (or a good one, depending on your point of view). She lives in a basement, can't stand the sun and snacks on Brad the ice-cream boy every other night... she doesn't sparkle, sure, but that is a minor detail.

One day, after snacking (again) on Brad, she sees something that does spark... and isn't supposed to exist: an unicorn. An unicorn that stabs her in the heart with its shiny horn.

Pearl thinks she's done for, so when she wakes up on her doorstep safe and sound the next dawn she is puzzled. And even more when she discovers she can actually stand in daylight! Her parents are pretty happy and she soon has a mission: to infiltrate the local high school and round up some cattle people to feed the vampire king. Easy peasy? Not so much when you actually talk to the food. And start to grow a conscience.

Features evil (and not sparkly) vampires, very sparkly unicorns, scheming high schoolers and newbie vampire hunters. Oh and 80's TV shows.

"Drink, Slay, Love" was the funniest book I've read in a while. Sarah Beth Durst really managed to write a great vampire themed parody - ok, maybe her Twilight snark had something to do with the fact that I loved this book, but I'm pretty sure that it was the rest too. Like how she managed to make the most ridiculous-sounding plot ever work really well. Or how there wasn't insta-love. Or how Pearl seemed so genuine and truly grew throughout the book.

Pearl is a delightful heroine. She really is pretty mean at the beginning, but she's never a character you don't like. From page one she has charisma.

I must say I wasn't very enthused with Evan or Bethany (the other main characters in the story) but I did like Tara and Pearl's adventures in the track team with Sana made me think of Japanese shoujo manga (may it be because it was a track team? Or because the girl was named "Sana"? Eheh.) Pearl's family was hilariously evil and Uncle Pascha was great with his long chess game and his Shakespeare quotes.

The story was pretty standard but the author's humorous prose and the characters made it an easy, engrossing read.

There is not much more to say about the book, except that it was a funny, good read. It was what Insatiable by meg Cabot would have been if the author had managed to write really amusing characters. I really liked Pearl, she was a great protagonist. I was amazed at how the author managed to turn an idea that could have gone badly wrong into a gripping story. I think people who are tired of the old cliches of vampire (and YA paranormal) fiction will probably like this.

I don't really do this at all, but I just have to add a "notable quote" from this book. Ah!

After three gulps of AB-negative, she said. "I saw a My Little Pony refugee. Horselike. Kind of glowy. Big sharp horn. It looked as if it had jumped off a poster from the bedroom of an eight-year-old girl. (...)"

--- "Drink, Slay, Love", page 17. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

My Opinion : I got this as an eGalley with Simon & Schuster, and I was quite glad.

The story is on Pearl's life, a vampire, that goes from evil, to not so evil. The writing and story is fun and absolutely worth reading.

Evan was my favorite character in part because of he always wanted to see the good side in people. Pearl was also fun to read, and kind of badass, which made the book more enjoyable.

I recommend this book to any person who enjoys Paranormal.

5/5 stars ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
This may still go to 5 stars. I just picked up 3 more of Sarah Beth Durst's novels. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
Oh man, did I have fun with this book. A teenage girl vampire with a conscience? A vampire stabbed through the heart by a unicorn's horn to gain said conscience? Yeah - I admit I was sold by the premise alone. Far too many authors take their vampires/werewolves/superantural/paranormal creatures far too seriously, and Ms. Durst's snarkily humorous take on the monster was fresh and above all, fun. Somewhere between the characters themselves and the randomly frequent snarky/snide allusions to Twilight, I found myself having more fun with a vampire story than I have for quite a long time.

In this very complete world of Ms. Durst's, vampires are both born or made from humans. Pearl is a born vampire, meaning she's never been human, never been in the sunlight, and never had a conscience. Durst stays true to the most original interpretation of the nightwalking bloodsuckers: they're sensitive to Holy Water, repelled by garlic, flammable when exposed to the sun and they do not sparkle. Hunters in every sense of the word, Pearl's Family is a powerful clan aiming to increase their sway through the upcoming Fealty Ceremony. Since the type of vampires in this novel can be born not just made("turned" is the vocabulary here), the induction into a full-fledged vampiress is an important one; indeed, one that the powerful and bloodthirsty King of New England vampires will be present for, and observe closely.

Pearl, the before mentioned young female vampire, within the first chapter is stabbed through the heart by a unicorn. This supposedly mythical creature's actions start to change Pearl from the typical prototype vampire. She feels emotions, guilt even, and thus is the only one of her kind to do so. By a fortuitous disaster, Pearl also learns she is the first "daywalker" of her kind: the stabbing the caused her consicence to grow also allows her where no other vampire can go. Thus the young Pearl is selected to "hunt" in the high schools in order to provide a feast for the hundreds of vampires planning to descend on her town for the Fealty Ceremony. Underneath this immense pressure, Pearl emerges as a believable teenager; one I grew warmer to (ha) the longer she remained in the sunlight. I really enjoyed Pearl and reading from her perspective: not too whiny, not too boy crazy and just the right amount of bad-ass, ass-kicking female. Pearl is by far the highlight of the novel: both my favorite character and consistently the most interesting person on the page. I want to read more stories about Pearl now.

The characters besides Pearl were also mostly enjoyable, personable and vivid. From wannabe vampire hunters cum comedic duo, Matt and Zeke could be counted on to make me snort with laughter each time they appeared. Bethany, though perhaps a bit too wide-eyed to be entirely real, was a nice counterpoint for Pearl's harsher attitude and perspective. Evan, the love interest, manages to stir up real chemistry with Pearl while maintaining an aura of mystery and keeping his distance. He remains a separate character; one not dependent on Pearl. Once again, I cannot impress upon you how HAPPY it makes me when a real relationship is charted, and matures through the novel. Pearl and Evan don't immediately "fall in love forevaa!!" nor spend three hundred pages pining for one another. It's a nice change from some YA paranormal stories.

The interesting set-up, the time-limit and unique proclivities of Pearl make the pace of this novel fly by. It's one of those books a reader picks up to peruse for a minute and is immediately lost within. It may drag on a bit long (in my opinion) after Pearl gains her conscience and before the King arrives, but that is a minor quibble. The secret "twist" about the unicorn was also a bit heavy-handed and obvious but far from the worst offender I've come across in that regard. Ms. Durst has crafted a very-well planned and thought-out alternate universe in which her characters can play; from new ideas on the prevalent-in-literature vampirism ("blood heists", "blood drunk" and of course the crucial, plot essential "Fealty Ceremony") to amusing and rarely used mythical creatures (when's the last time you read about a unicorn in fiction?) this is a novel that should be read and enjoyed by many people. I highly enjoyed this novel, and I think it will find love from a widely varied audience.

If you see it on a bookshelf in your near future, buy it, read it, love it. ( )
  msjessie | Feb 5, 2013 |

After sixteen-year-old vampire Pearl Sange is stabbed through the heart by a were-unicorn, she develops non-vampire-like traits that lead her to save her high school classmates from the Vampire King of New England.

Sarah Beth Durst is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible