Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Drink, Slay, Love (edition 2011)

by Sarah Beth Durst

Member:readingdate
Title:Drink, Slay, Love
Authors:Sarah Beth Durst
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:to-read

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

English (29)  Italian (1)  All languages (30)
This was a joy to read! Pearl’s such a great character and she made the book entertaining. I loved her wit, it provided for the majority of the comedy parts in the plot. Her sarcasm and her attempt to try and fit into school life was absolutely hilarious.

The vampires in this book are well done as well. They’re bloodthirsty and ambitious. Just the way I like them! no sparkly ones here! The scheme to get Pearl into high school so she can lure the food to feed her fellow vampires was well done (plus Jadrien is quite the hottie!)

Although the plot was pretty good, there were parts that are predictable and cliched. However because of Pearl and her personality (which pretty much is the highlight of the book) it can be overlooked. You pretty much figure out who the unicorn is, and Pearl’s choice on who she decides to be with isn’t a bad choice (although, I’d rather prefer the bad guy, he was your stereotypical bad boy, but you couldn’t help but fall for him.)

Definitely recommended for YA lovers. Read it for Pearl! she’s one of the best protagonists you would ever find. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Oct 21, 2014 |
“You’ll never make it through life if you let
irrational fears freeze you all the time.”

Brief summary:

Pearl Sange is just an ordinary vampire who takes a sip of blood from humans here and there. One day, she was attacked by a unicorn and it's horn staked her ribs! Now, she finds herself being able to bathe in sunlight! But something more than that changed about her and she's finding out if it's a good thing or not..

The plot:

Ahhh this story was so unique and refreshing. The humor was not forced and it just flowed naturally. Gaah, I find myself giggling and snickering every freaking time. I'm shocked to see that I am entertained by a vampire book very much! I can't tell you guys enough how much I enjoyed reading this!

The characters:

“You’re a teenage boy. I have boobs. What part of the equation is missing?”

Pearl. Ahhh I love this heroine!.She's fun and feisty without being too girly. Look at that quote above, now do you see why I liked her?? Well, I don't think you do just by reading that so read the friggin' book!

Evan touched her shoulder. "Maybe it's not that there's something wrong with you," he said. "Maybe there's something finally right."

Evan. I KNEW IT. Anyway, it's not that hard to guess, really.

This was one of those books that you can't help but liked everybody! All these characters had contributed something interesting in this story. I loved the Sange clan, Matt and Zeke, Bethany and really, just all of them.

The romance:

There's only a little amount of romance in this book and I liked it! It's light, sweet and adorable.

This was so much fun! (Well, I knew I told you that already bit whatever.) I recommend this to anyone who is in need of a good laugh. This is the perfect stress reliever. Gaaah book, you came at the right time. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
“You’ll never make it through life if you let
irrational fears freeze you all the time.”

Brief summary:

The plot:

The characters:

“You’re a teenage boy. I have boobs. What part of the equation is missing?”

Evan. I KNEW IT. Anyway, it's not that hard to guess, really.

The romance:

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
I actually have a signed copy of this book, bought by pure chance whilst in New York 2 years ago. Still haven't read it - the shame! :(
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
RATING: Difficult to say... between 3.5 and 4 stars.

Eh. How to start this review? Ah yes. There are vampires in this book. Lots of vampires. If you are tired of vampires... read this!!

Pearl is a vampire. A bad vampire (or a good one, depending on your point of view). She lives in a basement, can't stand the sun and snacks on Brad the ice-cream boy every other night... she doesn't sparkle, sure, but that is a minor detail.

One day, after snacking (again) on Brad, she sees something that does spark... and isn't supposed to exist: an unicorn. An unicorn that stabs her in the heart with its shiny horn.

Pearl thinks she's done for, so when she wakes up on her doorstep safe and sound the next dawn she is puzzled. And even more when she discovers she can actually stand in daylight! Her parents are pretty happy and she soon has a mission: to infiltrate the local high school and round up some cattle people to feed the vampire king. Easy peasy? Not so much when you actually talk to the food. And start to grow a conscience.

Features evil (and not sparkly) vampires, very sparkly unicorns, scheming high schoolers and newbie vampire hunters. Oh and 80's TV shows.

"Drink, Slay, Love" was the funniest book I've read in a while. Sarah Beth Durst really managed to write a great vampire themed parody - ok, maybe her Twilight snark had something to do with the fact that I loved this book, but I'm pretty sure that it was the rest too. Like how she managed to make the most ridiculous-sounding plot ever work really well. Or how there wasn't insta-love. Or how Pearl seemed so genuine and truly grew throughout the book.

Pearl is a delightful heroine. She really is pretty mean at the beginning, but she's never a character you don't like. From page one she has charisma.

I must say I wasn't very enthused with Evan or Bethany (the other main characters in the story) but I did like Tara and Pearl's adventures in the track team with Sana made me think of Japanese shoujo manga (may it be because it was a track team? Or because the girl was named "Sana"? Eheh.) Pearl's family was hilariously evil and Uncle Pascha was great with his long chess game and his Shakespeare quotes.

The story was pretty standard but the author's humorous prose and the characters made it an easy, engrossing read.

There is not much more to say about the book, except that it was a funny, good read. It was what Insatiable by meg Cabot would have been if the author had managed to write really amusing characters. I really liked Pearl, she was a great protagonist. I was amazed at how the author managed to turn an idea that could have gone badly wrong into a gripping story. I think people who are tired of the old cliches of vampire (and YA paranormal) fiction will probably like this.

I don't really do this at all, but I just have to add a "notable quote" from this book. Ah!

After three gulps of AB-negative, she said. "I saw a My Little Pony refugee. Horselike. Kind of glowy. Big sharp horn. It looked as if it had jumped off a poster from the bedroom of an eight-year-old girl. (...)"

--- "Drink, Slay, Love", page 17. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

After sixteen-year-old vampire Pearl Sange is stabbed through the heart by a were-unicorn, she develops non-vampire-like traits that lead her to save her high school classmates from the Vampire King of New England.

Sarah Beth Durst is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,883,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible