My Father's Daughter: Delicious, Easy…

My Father's Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family &… (2011)

by Gwyneth Paltrow

Other authors: Julia Turshen

adult (1) April 2011 (1) BN (1) celebrity (2) cookbook (11) cookery (2) cooking (5) cuisine (2) entertaining (1) family (2) food (3) Gwyneth Paltrow (2) hardcover (1) home (2) kitchen (1) library (1) local (1) LU2011 (1) May 2011 (1) Mom's Bedroom (1) non-fiction (6) OK (1) organic (1) read (1) recipes (2) technology (1) to-read (13) vegetarian (1) weiß (1) wishlist (1)

Though you may remember Gwyneth's macrobiotic phase, she has since returned to more normal dining choices, only avoiding red meat. But in this book, she not only celebrates the food that she makes for and with her children, Apple (who is one day younger than Z) and Moses, but she tells some of why she went macrobiotic during her father's fight against cancer (he passed away almost ten years ago). She tells many stories about cooking or eating with her father, her mother, her adopted family in Spain and her grandparents. It's very sweet and very down to earth. She offers some healthy alternatives for sweetener (ie. agave syrup) or bacon (turkey or duck bacon) but also allows for the more regularly accessible choices in her recipes. Since she doesn't eat red meat and Apple is vegetarian, she has mostly vegetable, seafood and poultry recipes. There are also some delicious looking breakfast and dessert recipes.

The photographs in this book are gorgeous and there are pictures for maybe a quarter of the recipes. There are also some beautiful family photos from her childhood and even some with her kids (though very few that show their faces). And Gwyneth isn't afraid to have less than glamorous photos in the book -- in one you even see a bra strap! That's my kind of gal.

I always like to make something from a cookbook before reviewing it to make sure that it's not a chef's cookbook. Last night, I chose to make Maple-Dijon Roasted Winter Vegetables to go with our steaks. I used carrot, sweet potato and butternut squash. They are cut into strips tossed with a dijon mustard/pure maple syrup/oil/salt/pepper mix and baked for a relatively short amount of time. So how did they turn out? Absolutely delicious. I happen to strongly dislike dijon mustard (and I considered using mustard powder instead) but chose to go for the full flavor and I don't regret it. The kid isn't a big fan of squash or sweet potato but he ate a good amount of both. The only thing was that I wished there had been a little more caramelization because those parts were super delish!

What else am I looking forward to making from this cookbook? There's a miso soup recipe that looks really simple and delicious. I always enjoy eating it when we're out but have never made it at home. I will definitely try the corn chowder and the polenta with fresh corn this summer. And the Spaniard in me has always wanted to make paella but I don't like most seafood so I'm very happy that she has a vegetable paella recipe. But probably the next thing I will make are Bruce Paltrow's World-Famous Pancakes. With a bit of sugar and buttermilk and an overnight set-up, I expect greatness. I am really so happy to have this book and I will read it regularly for the anecdotes as much as the recipes.

http://webereading.com/2012/01/new-release-my-fathers-daughter.html ( )
  klpm | Jan 31, 2012 |
Pretty good cookbook, some recipes that I will definitely be recording and trying sometime. Paltrow is really into natural, organic, and local ingredients and some ingredients she lists in her recipes would be difficult to find for the average home chef. BUT there are many recipes included that do not suffer from this problem, so not too big of a drawback. Lots of pictures, though not always of the finished product. Definitely worthwhile to peruse. ( )
  melancholycat | Jun 19, 2011 |

Gwyneth Paltrowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Turshen, Juliasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446557315, Hardcover)

The Academy-Award winning actress and avid foodie shares a sumptuous collection of recipes and gorgeous photographs celebrating the joy of preparing food for loved ones, a passion she learned from her beloved father.

As an actress, author, trendsetter, creator of goop.com, and host of the popular PBS series, Spain: On the Road Again, Gwyneth Paltrow is an icon of style and good taste around the world. As a young girl eating and cooking with her father, Bruce Paltrow, she developed a passion for food that has shaped how she lives today and strengthened her belief that time with family is a priority. Now in MY FATHER'S DAUGHTER, Paltrow shares her favorite family recipes along with personal stories of growing up with her father, Bruce Paltrow. She discusses how he has influenced her in the food she loves, how she involves her kids in cooking, and how she balances healthy food with homemade treats. And, for the first time, Paltrow offers a glimpse into her life as daughter, mother and wife, sharing her thoughts on the importance of family and togetherness.

Complete with 150 delicious ideas for breakfast, sandwiches and burgers, soups, salads, main dishes, sides, and desserts, this beautifully illustrated book includes full-color photos throughout, many featuring Paltrow at home with her family and friends. MY FATHER'S DAUGHTER is a luscious collection that will inspire readers to cook great food with the people who mean the most to them.

Recipe Excerpts from My Father's Daughter

Blueberry Pavlova Bruce's Dip Chicken & Dumplings

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

The Academy Award-winning actress ("Shakespeare in Love") and avid foodie shares a sumptuous collection of recipes and gorgeous photographs celebrating the joy of preparing food for loved ones, a passion she learned from her beloved father.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,247,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible