The Summer I Learned to Fly by Dana…

The Summer I Learned to Fly

by Dana Reinhardt

Rating: 4/5

Review coming soon. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Rating: 4/5

Review coming soon. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
I really thought this one had a shot at the Newbery. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
Drew decides after finding her father's journal that is time for her to take a risk and try to find out about who she is. ( )
  lindamamak | Apr 12, 2013 |
The Summer I Learned to Fly by Dana Reinhardt was a story that started out a little slow but in the end it ended up been a great read and I would recommend it to any female high school student. However it is does have a young romance theme to it so I do not believe and guys would enjoy this book.
Drew (formally called Robin Drew and Birdie sometimes) is 13 years old and is a little bit of a loner. She has a couple friends but they don’t really have much in common. Drew meets a mysterious boy named Emmet Crane. The story goes on about how they discover more and more about each other every time they get together. They go on adventures, meet new friends, which brings them even closer together. For the first time, Drew actually has a true friend that gets her.
My favorite part of the book was the bond between Drew and Emmet that just kept growing every time they were together. The story had many great aspects especially how she combines mystery, adventure, romance, and drama all in one book.
My least favorite part of the book was how most of the time the story was very slow. It didn’t leave me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next. It was like a hill on a rollercoaster. It started out slow then it gradually got better and better but then at the end it became slow and less interesting again. I guess I just didn’t like the ending.
This book was overall a heart-touching, quirky story about a girl and her rat who just want to fit in and find a true friend. It was beautifully written by Dana Reinhardt and I would definitely love to read more of her books. ( )
  ahsreads | Dec 14, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385739540, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2011: It’s 1986, and 13-year-old Drew Robin Solo is waiting. Waiting for things to happen; waiting to feel moved by something--or, as it turns out, someone. Drew’s summer begins in her mother’s cheese shop, making pasta alongside handsome Nick and caring for her pet rat and constant companion, Hum. The mysterious nightly disappearance of the old cheeses Drew leaves behind the shop lead to Emmett Crane, a boy who effortlessly brings color to her monochrome life. By the end Drew is no longer waiting for life to happen, but instead asking, "How could people sleep when there was so much at stake, so much happening, when there were so many reasons to be awake and alive?" Nostalgic and beautifully written, The Summer I Learned to Fly is the coming-of-age story of a gentle and unassuming girl asserting her independence and experiencing meaningful friendship for the first time. --Seira Wilson

A Letter from Author Dana Reinhardt
Dana Reinhardt writes about her inspiration for her latest novel, The Summer I Learned to Fly. She has written four previous novels including the Sidney Taylor Award-winning Things a Brother Knows.

My mother, like Drew's, owned a gourmet cheese shop when I was growing up, and I spent many of my afternoons and weekends working there. It was a place where I felt at home, where I loved to go and just hang around. And like Drew, at age thirteen I had a much easier time relating to adults than to other kids, so my mother's store offered me a place to be with people I could talk to while escaping the puzzling world of junior high.

Though I did leave the day-old food in the alley, and though it did always disappear, I never found out who took it. That is to say, I didn't find my Emmett there. Real friendship came later for me. It took a while to find the people among whom I could be my true self.

I think of this book as an old-fashioned coming of age story--the kind I really loved when I was a young reader. The kind that's about the moment when we first begin to discover who we are, what matters to us, and what we would risk everything for.

This is my fifth book, but it just might be the closest I've gotten to the book I've always wanted to write, so I hope you enjoy it. Thanks, as always, for giving it a chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:19 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Drew starts the summer of 1986 helping in her mother's cheese shop and dreaming about co-worker Nick, but when her widowed mother begins dating, Drew's father's book of lists, her pet rat, and Emmett, a boy on a quest, help her cope.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,297,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible