The Summer I Learned to Fly by Dana…

The Summer I Learned to Fly

by Dana Reinhardt

Drew never knew her father, but she knows a lot ABOUT him, because he left a notebook of lists of things he likes, things he regrets, etc etc. Drew’s mother runs a cheese shop and the business takes up a lot of her time. Drew works at the shop for free and has never minded the work because she doesn’t have much else going for her. Until she meets a boy out behind the dumpsters, and he pulls her into his mysterious world. Very well-written, definitely sucks you in to Drew’s world. I wish there was more to the story, but it’s a great slice of life with a lot of adventure. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Rating: 4/5

Review coming soon. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Rating: 4/5

Review coming soon. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
I really thought this one had a shot at the Newbery. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
Drew decides after finding her father's journal that is time for her to take a risk and try to find out about who she is. ( )
  lindamamak | Apr 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385739540, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2011: It’s 1986, and 13-year-old Drew Robin Solo is waiting. Waiting for things to happen; waiting to feel moved by something--or, as it turns out, someone. Drew’s summer begins in her mother’s cheese shop, making pasta alongside handsome Nick and caring for her pet rat and constant companion, Hum. The mysterious nightly disappearance of the old cheeses Drew leaves behind the shop lead to Emmett Crane, a boy who effortlessly brings color to her monochrome life. By the end Drew is no longer waiting for life to happen, but instead asking, "How could people sleep when there was so much at stake, so much happening, when there were so many reasons to be awake and alive?" Nostalgic and beautifully written, The Summer I Learned to Fly is the coming-of-age story of a gentle and unassuming girl asserting her independence and experiencing meaningful friendship for the first time. --Seira Wilson

A Letter from Author Dana Reinhardt
Dana Reinhardt writes about her inspiration for her latest novel, The Summer I Learned to Fly. She has written four previous novels including the Sidney Taylor Award-winning Things a Brother Knows.

My mother, like Drew's, owned a gourmet cheese shop when I was growing up, and I spent many of my afternoons and weekends working there. It was a place where I felt at home, where I loved to go and just hang around. And like Drew, at age thirteen I had a much easier time relating to adults than to other kids, so my mother's store offered me a place to be with people I could talk to while escaping the puzzling world of junior high.

Though I did leave the day-old food in the alley, and though it did always disappear, I never found out who took it. That is to say, I didn't find my Emmett there. Real friendship came later for me. It took a while to find the people among whom I could be my true self.

I think of this book as an old-fashioned coming of age story--the kind I really loved when I was a young reader. The kind that's about the moment when we first begin to discover who we are, what matters to us, and what we would risk everything for.

This is my fifth book, but it just might be the closest I've gotten to the book I've always wanted to write, so I hope you enjoy it. Thanks, as always, for giving it a chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Drew starts the summer of 1986 helping in her mother's cheese shop and dreaming about co-worker Nick, but when her widowed mother begins dating, Drew's father's book of lists, her pet rat, and Emmett, a boy on a quest, help her cope.… (more)

20 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible