The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the…

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry (edition 2012)

by Jon Ronson

Title:The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
Authors:Jon Ronson
Info:Riverhead Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson

The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: This book also deals with recognizing and dealing with people who lack the ability to empathize with others and who see emotions as a weakness to be exploited. The tone is more scholarly and clinical.
    Them: Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson (Sandydog1)
    A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father by Augusten Burroughs (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: The personal experience of living with one versus the science of finding one.

I read this book and I have to admit my reasons for not liking it involve my personal preferences not the subject or the writer. I just got to the point with the naked psycotherapy (sorry if thats the incorrect word) and I was done.

Subject started interesting but then began to creep my out. I did not finish it. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I found the first chapter of this a bit dull, but, unusually for me, I persevered. And I was glad I did! A fascinating insight into 'psychopathy', psychiatry and the horrible crimes some people commit. ( )
  nikkijayne28 | Aug 1, 2015 |
A not bad mass consumption primer about what psychopathy means. But if you've ever sat in a room or jail cell with someone labeled a psychopath, or spent endless hours with a psychiatrist talking about psychopaths, then it won't do much for you. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
Terrifying, but not in precisely the way you’d imagine.

Ronson doesn’t shy away from the fact that psychopaths are scary, people who don’t react to certain stimuli in the same way as other people and who are capable of horrific crimes. He explores their nature, their crimes and how they’re perceived as being more common in the higher echelons of society. They don’t make for pleasant reading and are grimly fascinating. But what’s really compelling in Ronson’s book is the far deeper issue of how we diagnose psychological issues and how we judge if people are recovered. The Psychopath Test of the title is a checklist that allows us to judge is someone’s a psychopath or not; as Ronson demonstrates from his own experience it’s quite easy to label someone from it. Fundamentally a lot of these diagnoses reaffirm prejudices or ready-made assumptions, and with the pharmaceutical industry looking to sell more product such diagnoses are becoming more common, particularly to parents. As with much of Ronson’s work you’re never quite sure whether to laugh at the absurdity or recoil from the horror (more likely, you should be doing both). ( )
  JonArnold | Jun 14, 2015 |
This was very disturbing to read at times. Maybe this book should just be subtitled "A Journey Through Madness". I actually really liked the author, he was pretty funny. I liked listening to him--he read his own book. My main problem, I think, can be summarized by something mentioned within the pages of this book: People can't be reduced to a psychiatric label. There is absolutely no test made by humankind that will really give a true, accurate full picture of a single human being. It can see patterns, yes, and patterns are valuable, but I just feel that too much emphasis is placed on them.
I feel like I need to take a break from researching psychopathy for a while. I wondered how the author of this book did it for so many years!!! ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Mr. Ronson’s latest book has less ballast. Though he retains his own paranormal ability to locate and befriend wing nuts of every stripe, he has to try a little harder than usual to get “The Psychopath Test” going. Chalk up some of that forced quality to the fact that Mr. Ronson’s BBC Radio 4 program, “Jon Ronson on ...,” is considered comedy. Throw in the fact that most psychopaths aren’t really all that funny. Still, his winning style pervades most of “The Psychopath Test,” as when Mr. Ronson wonders whether he will have psychopaths for readers. According to the second characteristic on the 20-item Hare Psychopathy Checklist (from which this book takes its title), some of them will. “Grandiose sense of self-worth” is one of their notable traits. “What should my message to them be?” he asks one Harvard Medical School psychologist. “Turn yourselves in?”
For Anita Bhoomkar (1996-2009),
a lover of life and all its madness
This is a story about madness.

"In this madcap journey, a bestselling journalist investigates psychopaths and the industry of doctors, scientists, and everyone else who studies them. The Psychopath Test is a fascinating journey through the minds of madness. Jon Ronson's exploration of a potential hoax being played on the world's top neurologists takes him, unexpectedly, into the heart of the madness industry. An influential psychologist who is convinced that many important CEOs and politicians are, in fact, psychopaths teaches Ronsonhow to spot these high-flying individuals by looking out for little telltale verbal and nonverbal clues. And so Ronson, armed with his new psychopath-spotting abilities, enters the corridors of power. He spends time with a death-squad leader institutionalized for mortgage fraud in Coxsackie, New York; a legendary CEO whose psychopathy has been speculated about in the press; and a patient in an asylum for the criminally insane who insists he's sane and certainly not a psychopath. Ronson not only solves the mystery of the hoax but also discovers, disturbingly, that sometimes the personalities at the helm of the madness industry are, with their drives and obsessions, as mad in their own way as those they study. And that relatively ordinary people are, moreand more, defined by their maddest edges"-- "In this madcap journey, a bestselling journalist investigates psychopaths and the industry of doctors, scientists, and journalists who study them"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible