The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the…

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry (edition 2012)

by Jon Ronson

Member:jcpollari
Title:The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
Authors:Jon Ronson
Info:Riverhead Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson

The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: This book also deals with recognizing and dealing with people who lack the ability to empathize with others and who see emotions as a weakness to be exploited. The tone is more scholarly and clinical.
    Them: Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson (Sandydog1)
    A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father by Augusten Burroughs (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: The personal experience of living with one versus the science of finding one.

This book was highly recommended to me, but I think all that I was told spoilt the reading experience for me as I felt I already knew what was inside. Very interesting, but a little disjointed and the second half couldn't keep pace with the first. ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
Would have gotten five stars but the quality dropped off slightly towards the end. ( )
  CatherineJay | Dec 30, 2015 |
I read this book and I have to admit my reasons for not liking it involve my personal preferences not the subject or the writer. I just got to the point with the naked psycotherapy (sorry if thats the incorrect word) and I was done.

Subject started interesting but then began to creep my out. I did not finish it. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I found the first chapter of this a bit dull, but, unusually for me, I persevered. And I was glad I did! A fascinating insight into 'psychopathy', psychiatry and the horrible crimes some people commit. ( )
  nikkijayne28 | Aug 1, 2015 |
A not bad mass consumption primer about what psychopathy means. But if you've ever sat in a room or jail cell with someone labeled a psychopath, or spent endless hours with a psychiatrist talking about psychopaths, then it won't do much for you. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
Mr. Ronson’s latest book has less ballast. Though he retains his own paranormal ability to locate and befriend wing nuts of every stripe, he has to try a little harder than usual to get “The Psychopath Test” going. Chalk up some of that forced quality to the fact that Mr. Ronson’s BBC Radio 4 program, “Jon Ronson on ...,” is considered comedy. Throw in the fact that most psychopaths aren’t really all that funny. Still, his winning style pervades most of “The Psychopath Test,” as when Mr. Ronson wonders whether he will have psychopaths for readers. According to the second characteristic on the 20-item Hare Psychopathy Checklist (from which this book takes its title), some of them will. “Grandiose sense of self-worth” is one of their notable traits. “What should my message to them be?” he asks one Harvard Medical School psychologist. “Turn yourselves in?”

For Anita Bhoomkar (1996-2009),
a lover of life and all its madness
This is a story about madness.

"In this madcap journey, a bestselling journalist investigates psychopaths and the industry of doctors, scientists, and everyone else who studies them. The Psychopath Test is a fascinating journey through the minds of madness. Jon Ronson's exploration of a potential hoax being played on the world's top neurologists takes him, unexpectedly, into the heart of the madness industry. An influential psychologist who is convinced that many important CEOs and politicians are, in fact, psychopaths teaches Ronsonhow to spot these high-flying individuals by looking out for little telltale verbal and nonverbal clues. And so Ronson, armed with his new psychopath-spotting abilities, enters the corridors of power. He spends time with a death-squad leader institutionalized for mortgage fraud in Coxsackie, New York; a legendary CEO whose psychopathy has been speculated about in the press; and a patient in an asylum for the criminally insane who insists he's sane and certainly not a psychopath. Ronson not only solves the mystery of the hoax but also discovers, disturbingly, that sometimes the personalities at the helm of the madness industry are, with their drives and obsessions, as mad in their own way as those they study. And that relatively ordinary people are, moreand more, defined by their maddest edges"-- "In this madcap journey, a bestselling journalist investigates psychopaths and the industry of doctors, scientists, and journalists who study them"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,213,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible