Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire…

Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 7) (edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

4,163None1,195 (3.81)33
Member:msbhaven
Title:Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 7)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:Vampires Are People Too!

Burnt Offerings by Laurell K. Hamilton

English (35)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
Anita has lost Richard and is now dating Jean-Claude, however the ties that bind the three are still present. Though Richard has left he still remains and his power is still a presence with both Anita and Jean-Claude. They can feel each other’s power, sense their emotions and increase one another’s powers, sometimes without knowing.

“Burnt Offerings” introduces us to the council of vampires and a whole new part of vampire world that has thus far remained hidden behind the curtains of Hamilton’s series. Due to the death of Mr. Oliver on Halloween, Jean-Claude should have taken his position as a member of the council, however knowing that his powers weren’t enough to maintain the position, he didn’t and now must face the music. With the council taking over the Circus of the Damned as well as Jean-Claude’s vampires and the werewolves, now both he and Anita must fight for the city and their people.

Between the council, a rogue firebug and ax ex-boyfriend who hates her current boyfriend, life for Anita Blake is never boring or dull. Whether battling rogue vampires, murders, beasts or arguing with Richard and Jean-Claude life is one big battle.

And just when you think that the monsters can’t get uglier they do and just when you think that Anita has fought the most incredible battle ever, there she is fighting another one. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
In this books, we meet two members of the vampire council, Padma, Master of Beasts and the Traveler. The Traveler is a scary vampire. He can possess another vampire's body and use it get around. We never actually see his body, I believe it never left Europe. Padma, the Master of Beasts, doesn't appear to be very strong and is mentioned that he is the weakest of all the council members. His son is an ass.

We also meet Nathanial and Asher. I love Nathanial. He is probably one of my favorites of Anita's loves (which doesn't happen in this book). Asher is a little like Richard, but not as bad. He is a pain in the ass and it gets worse throughout the books. I get really tired of his self loathing.

Dolph and Anita are having issues because Dolph doesn't like that Anita is dating Jean-Claude. This is an issue that will grow throughout the books.

Warrick is a very minor character that only appears in this book. I really like him and I wish we could've seen more of him. Without Yvette, I think he would've made a great addition to the Saint Louis vampires. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
The Vampire Council, the supreme authority over all things vampire, is in town and they are not happy with Jean-Claude. It seems that Mr. Oliver was the Councillor known as the Earthmover. Traditionally the vampire that kills a Councillor takes his place on the Council.

But Jean-Claude doesn’t want the job and is doubtful of his own ability to survive at such a high level against such ancient and powerful vampires. Unfortunately, that’s not a view shared by all the Councillors, some of whom fear his rise to power and are looking for an excuse to kill him.

And that excuse is the suspicion that he’s trying to set up a new council in the US – if Jean-Claude can’t prove that false, then they have grounds for his execution. It’s even shakier when they realise that several of the Council representatives have no reason to like Jean-Claude, including Asher, his long ago friend who still blames him for the death of Julianna and the horrific scars he received at the hands of the church.

The Councillors themselves have some awful habits that strain Anita’s tolerance, and her ability to keep all of her people safe from their abuses. And all along, some of them have a different agenda entirely.

I loved to learn about the Council, it was nice to see some of the world outside of St. Louis, some of the history and authority of vampires and what they mean. It was also a first real introduction to the heads of some of the vampire lines, even though we’ve been introduced to the different lines in the past.

I also like very much the continuation of the issues that happened in the past. Like she can’t kill the head of a major shapeshifter group and not have that alter the balance of the city and not have consequences. As well as the ongoing tension with Richard and Dolph – as the death count Anita has racked up just becomes too much to ignore. These foundations of conflict and sustained meta are interesting and add a lot of depth to the world. ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
The usual plot: Find the bad guys. Get hurt. Seek revenge. Kill the bad guys. Have sex with a hottie.

More sex. Less plot. Generally the same Anita. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
Sturm und Drang

And another series with huge potential that crashes and burns - and I can't decide if it does it in a ball of flames, or a sputter of wet firecrackers. OMG. Let's talk about the characters I used to love. I had SUCH the high hopes that I was going to go through this whole series as happy with the remainder as I was with the first couple in the series. Sigh.

Let's see. Anita is working with Jean Claude, as usual. Things are going to hell in a handcart, as usual, as the `Vampire Overlords" decide that JC and AB are too strong to leave alive. Anita gives her protection, not only to the submissives of the wolf pack (see "The Killing Dance) but also to the Pard - the Leopard pack. Her growing `psychological confusion' (read `doesn't pay attention, think things through, develop anything even approaching emotional maturity, or consider the depth and importance of the responsibilities that she is accepting - these are people's LIVES she is being so cavalier with) ends with the submissives being brutalized, gutted and gang raped. When she finally gets her head out of her backside, and goes to the hospital to try to help "protect" the submissives, she winds up having a hysterical fear fit in front of the most submissive members of two packs. She might as well have rolled over on her back and peed herself. And she is supposed to be protecting - LEADING these poor people?? I wanted so badly for Anita to be the strong, tough, dependable, and yet human and caring person she started out being developed as. Instead, she is decompressing into a nasty, self centred, whiny, fearful, (insert disappointing descriptor here) waste of ink and paper. I am soooooo disappointed!

Richard - while I understand why and how he is going into psychological meltdown, I no longer either respect him, or pity his plight. He hates himself, what he is, and what it is going to require to do the job he has taken on. But he, like Anita, would rather piss and moan than take the necessary responsibility. And pissing and moaning gets people who depend on them killed. He loves Anita completely - but he hates himself so much, instead of setting the stage to show her his wolf in a safe, controlled environment (Killing Dance) he throws her in the middle of Dante's Inferno, in a manner guaranteed to shock and appall her to her toes - to drive her away. In this installment, he continues to torment her, and himself (and every poor soul around them), while have a total burnout and again letting down the people that depend on him.

Hysterics. Nervous breakdowns. Temper tantrums. It is all just too, too middle school. Do none of these people ever GROW UP??? Richard wants Anita. Anita wants Richard and Jean Claude. Fine. Richard and Anita need to just grow the freak up. They are a triad now, so act like one. Jean Claude is used to menage - Richard and Anita need to grow up and realize that if the pull is so strong, it is for a reason, and they should exploit it. Everyone is happy, everyone draws on everyone else's strength, the sex would be incredible (voice of experience - and besides, with their link? And we KNOW that Hamilton's coming `sex party' setup, it would be perfect, and the Sturm und Drang factor could go away, allowing for MUCH MUCH MUCH better character and non homo-sapiens species development) . . . and I don't get a migraine from listening to the two of them bitch and whine and put everyone else s lives at risk so they can have a pissing contest. I didn't expect this to turn into a cross between the "Eclipse" series and the "Clique" series (yes, I know some teenagers). Again, too, too middle school.

I'm tired. I can't even finish this one. The only person I still respect is Jean Claude. I adore some of the new characters - Stephen, the leopards Anita has failed. But it isn't worth the aggravation of putting up with Hamilton turning this into a literal `Circus of the Damned". Hamilton had the opportunity to develop a marvelous series of depth and breadth. She was introducing new characters, in depth profiles of new types of non homo sapiens species. I was quite pleased and hopeful, even though there were definitely some things I could have lived without. But I am tired. Time is precious, there are a lot of books I want to read, and Hamilton has blown it already, with fourteen or so more volumes in the offing and no hope in sight. A crushing disappointment. LOL. Maybe I will have to join the family of fan fiction writers and rewrite this volume myself the way it should have been written, just for my own enjoyment and to take the bitter taste out of my mouth! I could `wrap the series up' for myself in an enjoyable manner, and pretend that this whole screw-up didn't disappoint me so deeply! ( )
  Leiahc | May 4, 2013 |
For my grandmother, Laura Gentry, who at 4' 11" taught me that you could be small, female, and still be tough.
Most people don't stare at the scars.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134473, Mass Market Paperback)

Burnt Offerings is the seventh in Laurell K. Hamilton's genre-straddling Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. Anita carries a gun and an attitude: "Questions are great, but only if you know the answers. If you ask questions and the answers surprise you, you look silly. Hard to be threatening when you look ill-informed."

As Burnt Offerings unfolds, Anita agrees to help track down a possible psychic firestarter. She's also policing the local werewolf pack, though she's split up with their alpha, Richard. Then Jean-Claude, the vampire Master of the City and her lover, needs her help to confront a visiting delegation of the vampires' ruling council. They wonder how he got the power to destroy a council member and believe him dangerous to the hierarchy.

This fast-paced, urban fantasy includes gore, hardboiled mystery and a romantic triangle. The vampires and werewolves are as three-dimensional as the human characters, allowing us to join Anita in wondering who the real monsters are and to understand how her increased personal involvement with them is alienating her from her human colleagues. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:35 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake winds up trying to save the very monsters she has sworn to destroy when an arsonist begins terrorizing the city's undead.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible