Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire…

Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 7) (edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:msbhaven
Title:Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 7)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:Vampires Are People Too!

Burnt Offerings by Laurell K. Hamilton

English (39)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
I hate the Council. They're useless. This book was kind of a strange one for me, as things happened, but there really didn't seem to be any kind of solid plot. But Nathaniel is introduced, and that's a huge plus. I adore him. ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
This book is full of fire! Haha, as well as that may be I don't only mean flames, but passion and anger too. Nathaniel enters the series in this book and I can't help but be pleased because he is my favorite character in the series. In this book Anita has problems that she slowly begins to realize she can fix or at least try to; the vampire council has come to town, a pyromaniac is setting fires, and the wereleopards need a leader, not to mention that Richard is still spitting mad. What more could our expert vampire hunter and lupa ask for? ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
Fallout from the last book has Anita, Richard and Jean-Claude as a triumvirate, yet they’re having some problems because Richard has cut himself off from them and is out of town working on a degree while looking for a new lupa. The leopards were left leaderless when Anita killed Gabriel and they need her help since Sylvia, 2nd in the Pack, refuses to let anyone help them. Anita is still lupa and forces others to accept the position in order to protect both one of theirs as well as a leopard.

Then there are members of the vampire council who came to town and takes over the Circus. Not only do Anita and Jean-Claude have to save their own people and allies, but their presence is causing problems with weaker vampires. And if that wasn’t enough on their plates, Humans First is causing problems.

There’s a great deal going on in this book and you get a really good idea of just how seriously Anita takes what she feels is her responsibility for others. She’s not about to back down from anyone or anything and the council learns more about her.

This book has been reread a number of times throughout the years and many things that occur here are important to the rest of the series. This is the only book so far in the series where Anita is in the physical presence of the council members other than in the metaphysical. You’ll love to see how she deals with one and how you’ll feel about another; well you’ll have to make up your own mind.

A variety of situations are faced and there is plenty of action. Something really interesting occurs between Anita and Richard that you won’t want to miss. I love the world and character building and could easily accept seeing many of these characters walking down the street. ( )
  dearheart | Nov 7, 2014 |
Sturm und Drang

And another series with huge potential that crashes and burns - and I can't decide if it does it in a ball of flames, or a sputter of wet firecrackers. OMG. Let's talk about the characters I used to love. I had SUCH the high hopes that I was going to go through this whole series as happy with the remainder as I was with the first couple in the series. Sigh.

Let's see. Anita is working with Jean Claude, as usual. Things are going to hell in a handcart, as usual, as the `Vampire Overlords" decide that JC and AB are too strong to leave alive. Anita gives her protection, not only to the submissives of the wolf pack (see "The Killing Dance) but also to the Pard - the Leopard pack. Her growing `psychological confusion' (read `doesn't pay attention, think things through, develop anything even approaching emotional maturity, or consider the depth and importance of the responsibilities that she is accepting - these are people's LIVES she is being so cavalier with) ends with the submissives being brutalized, gutted and gang raped. When she finally gets her head out of her backside, and goes to the hospital to try to help "protect" the submissives, she winds up having a hysterical fear fit in front of the most submissive members of two packs. She might as well have rolled over on her back and peed herself. And she is supposed to be protecting - LEADING these poor people?? I wanted so badly for Anita to be the strong, tough, dependable, and yet human and caring person she started out being developed as. Instead, she is decompressing into a nasty, self centred, whiny, fearful, (insert disappointing descriptor here) waste of ink and paper. I am soooooo disappointed!

Richard - while I understand why and how he is going into psychological meltdown, I no longer either respect him, or pity his plight. He hates himself, what he is, and what it is going to require to do the job he has taken on. But he, like Anita, would rather piss and moan than take the necessary responsibility. And pissing and moaning gets people who depend on them killed. He loves Anita completely - but he hates himself so much, instead of setting the stage to show her his wolf in a safe, controlled environment (Killing Dance) he throws her in the middle of Dante's Inferno, in a manner guaranteed to shock and appall her to her toes - to drive her away. In this installment, he continues to torment her, and himself (and every poor soul around them), while have a total burnout and again letting down the people that depend on him.

Hysterics. Nervous breakdowns. Temper tantrums. It is all just too, too middle school. Do none of these people ever GROW UP??? Richard wants Anita. Anita wants Richard and Jean Claude. Fine. Richard and Anita need to just grow the freak up. They are a triad now, so act like one. Jean Claude is used to menage - Richard and Anita need to grow up and realize that if the pull is so strong, it is for a reason, and they should exploit it. Everyone is happy, everyone draws on everyone else's strength, the sex would be incredible (voice of experience - and besides, with their link? And we KNOW that Hamilton's coming `sex party' setup, it would be perfect, and the Sturm und Drang factor could go away, allowing for MUCH MUCH MUCH better character and non homo-sapiens species development) . . . and I don't get a migraine from listening to the two of them bitch and whine and put everyone else s lives at risk so they can have a pissing contest. I didn't expect this to turn into a cross between the "Eclipse" series and the "Clique" series (yes, I know some teenagers). Again, too, too middle school.

I'm tired. I can't even finish this one. The only person I still respect is Jean Claude. I adore some of the new characters - Stephen, the leopards Anita has failed. But it isn't worth the aggravation of putting up with Hamilton turning this into a literal `Circus of the Damned". Hamilton had the opportunity to develop a marvelous series of depth and breadth. She was introducing new characters, in depth profiles of new types of non homo sapiens species. I was quite pleased and hopeful, even though there were definitely some things I could have lived without. But I am tired. Time is precious, there are a lot of books I want to read, and Hamilton has blown it already, with fourteen or so more volumes in the offing and no hope in sight. A crushing disappointment. LOL. Maybe I will have to join the family of fan fiction writers and rewrite this volume myself the way it should have been written, just for my own enjoyment and to take the bitter taste out of my mouth! I could `wrap the series up' for myself in an enjoyable manner, and pretend that this whole screw-up didn't disappoint me so deeply! ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
For my grandmother, Laura Gentry, who at 4' 11" taught me that you could be small, female, and still be tough.
Most people don't stare at the scars.

"YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYONE WHO SLEEPS WITH THE MONSTERS."

That's what I've always said. That's what I've always believed. But now I'm the one sharing a bed with the Master Vampire of the City. Me, Anita Blake. The woman the vampires call the Executioner. From part of the solution, I've become part of the problem. So it hits close to home when an arsonist begins to target vampire-owned businesses all over town--an arsonist who seems to want to destroy more than just property. It's the monsters who are in danger now.

And it's up to the Executioner to save them from the inferno...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134473, Mass Market Paperback)

Burnt Offerings is the seventh in Laurell K. Hamilton's genre-straddling Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. Anita carries a gun and an attitude: "Questions are great, but only if you know the answers. If you ask questions and the answers surprise you, you look silly. Hard to be threatening when you look ill-informed."

As Burnt Offerings unfolds, Anita agrees to help track down a possible psychic firestarter. She's also policing the local werewolf pack, though she's split up with their alpha, Richard. Then Jean-Claude, the vampire Master of the City and her lover, needs her help to confront a visiting delegation of the vampires' ruling council. They wonder how he got the power to destroy a council member and believe him dangerous to the hierarchy.

This fast-paced, urban fantasy includes gore, hardboiled mystery and a romantic triangle. The vampires and werewolves are as three-dimensional as the human characters, allowing us to join Anita in wondering who the real monsters are and to understand how her increased personal involvement with them is alienating her from her human colleagues. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake winds up trying to save the very monsters she has sworn to destroy when an arsonist begins terrorizing the city's undead.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible