The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin…

The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and… (original 1972; edition 1972)

by Inc. Foxfire Fund

Series: Foxfire (1)

Member:hfglen
Title:The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Huntin
Authors:Inc. Foxfire Fund
Info:Anchor (1972), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:bushcraft, crafts, cookery

The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining, and Other Affairs of Plain Living by Eliot Wigginton (1972)

This series is so much more than a “how to” guide for people interested in homesteading or living off-grid. There are, of course the very interesting and useful step-by-step instructions—log cabin building, chair and basket making, and chimney building are all featured in the first volume, complete with diagrams and pictures. There is useful lore that has been collected, such as the use for different types of wood and different recipes. These are, to someone looking to add to their homesteading skills, practical guides.
But there are another set of “affairs of plain living” included in the book. Some of them are downright impractical. For instance, many of the home remedies include the direct application of turpentine, kerosene or a mix of the two on to the body. And please don’t follow the snakebite remedies. These sorts of things are included because the Foxfire books are much more about rejoicing in a culture that was much maligned in the first half of the 20th century as a poverty-stricken backwater. This book can appeal to a wider audience outside of the off-grid community because of these other aspects of Appalachian life that are included. Descriptions in firsthand accounts of planting by the signs and faith healing give depth and life to the people interviewed. It can be difficult to read some of the interviews that are not “translated”; it takes a little time to get used to the accents, but I think that the choice of the editors to leave it in dialect makes the books better. The Foxfire books are unconsciously part of a movement to rediscover and celebrate the positives of the Appalachian region old way of life, and in this goal they are successful. ( )
  renardkitsune | May 17, 2018 |
Hog dressing, log cabin building, mountain crafts and foods, planting by the signs, snake lore, hunting tales, faith healing, moonshining, & other affairs of plain living.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
This was a reread for me but once I started I couldn't put it down. My Grandmother lived in Rabun Gap. This had me reminiscing about the less industrial days. So many skills are already lost. I'm so glad someone thought to capture what is left. ( )
  elizabeth.b.bevins | Nov 4, 2014 |
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
This volume, the original anthology, celebrates the home life and creative history of Appalachia, featuring sections on hog dressing, log cabin building, soap making, basket weaving, planting by the signs, preserving foods, making butter, snake lore, hunting tales, faith healing, and moonshining.
  Willie3 | Jan 1, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to the people of these mountains in the hope that, through it, some portion of their wisdom, ingenuity and individuality will remain long after them to touch us all.
Far back in the neighboring mountains, alone in a log cabin with no running water and only a single fireplace for heat, lives an elderly woman.

In an effort to get interest his high school students, Eliot Wigginton proposed that they publish a newletter, Foxfire, documenting the traditional life of the Appalachian region.   The newsletter became in international success, and articles were collected into a series of books.

First published in 1972, The Foxfire Book was a surprise bestseller that brought Appalachia's philosophy of simple living to hundreds of thousands of readers. Whether you wanted to hunt game, bake the old-fashioned way, or learn the art of successful moonshining, The Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center had a contact who could teach you how with clear, step-by-step instructions.

This classic debut volume of the acclaimed series covers a diverse array of crafts and practical skills, including log cabin building, hog dressing, basketmaking, cooking, fencemaking, crop planting, hunting, and moonshining, as well as a look at the history of local traditions like snake lore and faith healing.

Interviews and essays describe the way of life and crafts of pioneer America still surviving in the Appalachian region.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,049,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible