Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick) by…

Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Patrick McDonnell

Member:GeorginaMV
Title:Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick)
Authors:Patrick McDonnell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:animals, africa, education, biography, monkeys

Me . . . Jane by Patrick McDonnell (2011)

I liked this book. I found it a little difficult to follow at the beginning with all of the different (not related) things that seemed to happen. Towards the end it came together more but it was a cute way to talk about helping animals. ( )
  moore.allie1 | Sep 26, 2016 |
This story is a biography of the childhood of Jane Goodall, the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees. This book is wonderful and inspiring and is told through beautiful illustrations that capture the imaginations of young readers. This charming story follows the dreams of Jane Goodall as a young girl, and the author, Patrick McDonnell, charms readers of all ages through the implementation of Goodall's own illustrations from her childhood and a photograph of her smiling with her own toy ape. I recommend this book for children and teachers as it is educational and inspiring for all! ( )
  hannahlowe | Sep 25, 2016 |
Summary
This story is about a young girl named Jane and her love for animals and nature. Jane spends hours outside everyday with his stuffed animal, and then reads the book Tarzan. She then wants to be like the Jane in Tarzan and live in the jungle with all kinds of animals and help them.

Personal
I enjoy this book a lot cause i was a lot like Jane cause I too love animals and actually began my college career as a Veterinary Major. I am still looking for ways in my own life that I can help animals.

Classroom Extensions
1. you can have each kid bring in a stuffed animal of their favorite and have them talk about why it is their favorite animal.
  JacquelineSimmons | Sep 18, 2016 |
Summary
Jane is child who wanted to explore the world. Her mind was set on living with and helping animals.A young lady that loves her stuff chimpanzee. Jane wanted to travel the world and encounter great adventures along the way. Jane has a great love for the animal kingdom. Jane is an inspirational leader for kids to follow your dreams don’t let anything stand in your way. It's truly a beautiful book and a wonderful story for kids to read.
Personal Reaction:

This a book that can grab adults and kids attention real quick. A book about a young lady that loves what she is doing, we need more books like this one. This book was well written, entertaining, and inspirational to me. A great book for kids to comprehend and gain knowledge of the animal kingdom. This book has been a good starting point for kids who don’t know anything about animals. Me…Jane is showing the world that little girls can leave a positive on the world if you put your best foot forward.

Classroom Extension Ideas:

1.Teacher takes advantage of this to make your classroom into a jungle and let your kids describe the animals.

2.Push the message that you can do anything in life if you just believe in yourself.

3.Teachers/aids let your kids know (especially girls) that you are smart and wonderful everyday. ( )
  cedric_edwards | Sep 10, 2016 |
This books tells the story of a girl named Jane and her stuffed chimpanzee. The story tells how Jane is a very curious child and loves to learn about things. Her dream is to live in Africa helping the wild life. At the end of the book, a actual picture of an older Jane is shown with a Chimpanzee explaining that her dream came true. Themes for this book include dreams, animals, determination, curiosity, and determination. The pictures are very whimsical and enjoyable throughout the whole book. I love how they almost seem child like on the structure the pictures were created. I like how this book is based on an actual person's life yet is not set up like a normal bibliography. It makes it more enjoyable to young child than reading a straight bibliography book. On page 12, Jane and Jubilee sneak into a chicken coop. I might stop at this point to ask the children to predict what they think is going to happen next. On page 16, I would ask the kids what type of miracle occurred. This book could be used to introduce different styles of bibliographies to children or a book used during an Earth day lesson.
  LaurenBrow | Sep 6, 2016 |

Wonderfully illustrated, Caldecott Honor, this is a biography of Jane Goodall's childhood.  It describes how Jane's life connection to nature and dedication to learning inspired and lead to her life long dream of living in Africa and working with chimpanzees.  I agree with one of the reviewers and would want to include a story or worksheet that detailed Jane's accomplishments.

In his characteristic heartwarming style, Patrick McDonnell tells the story of the young Jane Goodall and her special childhood toy chimpanzee named Jubilee. As the young Jane observes the natural world around her with wonder, she dreams of "a life living with and helping all animals," until one day she finds that her dream has come true.

One of the world's most inspiring women, Dr. Jane Goodall is a renowned humanitarian, conservationist, animal activist, environmentalist, and United Nations Messenger of Peace. In 1977 she founded the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI), a global nonprofit organization that empowers people to make a difference for all living things.

With anecdotes taken directly from Jane Goodall's autobiography, McDonnell makes this very true story accessible for the very young--and young at heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:29 -0400)

Holding her stuffed toy chimpanzee, young Jane Goodall observes nature, reads Tarzan books, and dreams of living in Africa and helping animals. Includes biographical information on the prominent zoologist.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,261,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible