Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick) by…

Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Patrick McDonnell

Member:GeorginaMV
Title:Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick)
Authors:Patrick McDonnell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:animals, africa, education, biography, monkeys

Me . . . Jane by Patrick McDonnell (2011)

This is a wonderful story that shows how curiosity, imagination, wonder and study can lead to a truly adventurous life, one that makes a difference in the world. The narrative and illustrations blend together perfectly, and make this a book that can work with children of all ages. I loved the additional biographical information at the end of the book as well as the note from Jane Goodall herself. Overall, we thought this was a terrific story and we really enjoyed reading it together.
  Williewarren | Apr 15, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a great book for a number of reasons. The illustrations really brought the story to life and the characters were fun and easy for young readers to relate. This book is a Caldecott Honor book, therefore the illustrations really fit the style in which the book was written and enhance the story. I loved how the pages alternated between image and text, but on the pages with text, the author included more realistic images and background art. The story was really cute and emphasized Jane Goodall’s love for wildlife at a young age with the fascination of her stuffed animal monkey.

The development of Jane’s character progressed throughout the story as her interests and personality grew. As a child in the book, Jane is very relatable and young readers may share similar interests. The author writes in a way that is fun and easy for children to understand, as many of them may also have a favorite stuffed animal. The main message of the book is that anyone can follow their dreams, do what they love if they are passionate about it, and maintain a strong interest and determination. ( )
  gretchencompere | Mar 6, 2016 |
I have read and learned a little bit about Jane Goodall, so I was humbly surprised to learn more about her from this story. I like that this story is about her inspirational childhood, which included new information for me. I also like that the illustrations and graphic designing include stamps and water coloring with ink, creating unique illustrations that are pleasing. I also really enjoyed the inclusion of some of Jane's real artwork. This book is simple, yet would be very useful for research and learning in a classroom.
  brynnschaal | Feb 20, 2016 |
While Me...Jane was a very easy read, the real story of Jane Goodall is missing. This book tells of Jane's love of animals from a small age, however, misses most of the good work she has done, and leaves out the organizations that made her mote worthy. Only in the authors note are Jane's foundations and organizations mentioned. While I do believe introducing a reader to an important figure as a child is important, I felt that Me...Jane was lacking much important information about Jane Goodall's life work. ( )
  amberloposser | Jan 21, 2016 |
Jubillee was Jane's stuffed animal that she loved and took everywhere. She loved to be outside and learn about animals and plants. She later becomes the Jane Goodall that we know today.
  sande2 | Dec 8, 2015 |

Wonderfully illustrated, Caldecott Honor, this is a biography of Jane Goodall's childhood.  It describes how Jane's life connection to nature and dedication to learning inspired and lead to her life long dream of living in Africa and working with chimpanzees.  I agree with one of the reviewers and would want to include a story or worksheet that detailed Jane's accomplishments.

In his characteristic heartwarming style, Patrick McDonnell tells the story of the young Jane Goodall and her special childhood toy chimpanzee named Jubilee. As the young Jane observes the natural world around her with wonder, she dreams of "a life living with and helping all animals," until one day she finds that her dream has come true.

One of the world's most inspiring women, Dr. Jane Goodall is a renowned humanitarian, conservationist, animal activist, environmentalist, and United Nations Messenger of Peace. In 1977 she founded the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI), a global nonprofit organization that empowers people to make a difference for all living things.

With anecdotes taken directly from Jane Goodall's autobiography, McDonnell makes this very true story accessible for the very young--and young at heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:29 -0400)

Holding her stuffed toy chimpanzee, young Jane Goodall observes nature, reads Tarzan books, and dreams of living in Africa and helping animals. Includes biographical information on the prominent zoologist.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 590 books! | Top bar: Always visible