Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick) by…

Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Patrick McDonnell

Title:Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick)
Authors:Patrick McDonnell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:animals, africa, education, biography, monkeys

Me . . . Jane by Patrick McDonnell (2011)

Me...Jane is an inspirational book that I believe all children should read, but especially young girls who love animals and may be inspired to pursue a career in the science field. I liked that Jane's story is told in a relatable way that children would understand, like Jane carrying around her favorite stuffed monkey, Jubillee. I also like the illustrations make her seem like she is just an average little girl. I believe the message is that if younger girls and boys can see that Jane Goodall was just a normal kid like they are, they may begin to realize that they can find something they are passionate about and change the world as well. ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading more about Jane Goodall. As a child I found her fascinating and enjoyed learning about her. My mother grew up wanting to do what Jane was doing and so she was the one who really got me interested in her and her mission in life. This biography really takes you through Jane's childhood showing how she would go from being a child who loved animals, especially primates, to one of the most well-known people to work closely with chimpanzees. It provides the reader with dozens of facts about her and shows just how amazing she was. Patrick McDonnell even took some things from Goodall's own autobiography, ensuring that what was being discussed in the book was as accurate as possible to her life. The illustrations that went along with the story also helped add to the text itself. ( )
  dschae7 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I liked this book. I found it a little difficult to follow at the beginning with all of the different (not related) things that seemed to happen. Towards the end it came together more but it was a cute way to talk about helping animals. ( )
  moore.allie1 | Sep 26, 2016 |
This story is a biography of the childhood of Jane Goodall, the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees. This book is wonderful and inspiring and is told through beautiful illustrations that capture the imaginations of young readers. This charming story follows the dreams of Jane Goodall as a young girl, and the author, Patrick McDonnell, charms readers of all ages through the implementation of Goodall's own illustrations from her childhood and a photograph of her smiling with her own toy ape. I recommend this book for children and teachers as it is educational and inspiring for all! ( )
  hannahlowe | Sep 25, 2016 |
This story is about a young girl named Jane and her love for animals and nature. Jane spends hours outside everyday with his stuffed animal, and then reads the book Tarzan. She then wants to be like the Jane in Tarzan and live in the jungle with all kinds of animals and help them.

I enjoy this book a lot cause i was a lot like Jane cause I too love animals and actually began my college career as a Veterinary Major. I am still looking for ways in my own life that I can help animals.

Classroom Extensions
1. you can have each kid bring in a stuffed animal of their favorite and have them talk about why it is their favorite animal.
  JacquelineSimmons | Sep 18, 2016 |

Wonderfully illustrated, Caldecott Honor, this is a biography of Jane Goodall's childhood.  It describes how Jane's life connection to nature and dedication to learning inspired and lead to her life long dream of living in Africa and working with chimpanzees.  I agree with one of the reviewers and would want to include a story or worksheet that detailed Jane's accomplishments.

In his characteristic heartwarming style, Patrick McDonnell tells the story of the young Jane Goodall and her special childhood toy chimpanzee named Jubilee. As the young Jane observes the natural world around her with wonder, she dreams of "a life living with and helping all animals," until one day she finds that her dream has come true.

One of the world's most inspiring women, Dr. Jane Goodall is a renowned humanitarian, conservationist, animal activist, environmentalist, and United Nations Messenger of Peace. In 1977 she founded the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI), a global nonprofit organization that empowers people to make a difference for all living things.

With anecdotes taken directly from Jane Goodall's autobiography, McDonnell makes this very true story accessible for the very young--and young at heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:29 -0400)

Holding her stuffed toy chimpanzee, young Jane Goodall observes nature, reads Tarzan books, and dreams of living in Africa and helping animals. Includes biographical information on the prominent zoologist.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible